Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Benkovic

All the talk has been about Soyuncu filling the Maguire void but what about Filip stepping up to the plate?

Is Morgan a head of him still I wonder or has Big Wes been moved down the pecking order? Only time will tell on that one. 

Celtic fans were raving about him at times last season with comparisons being made to a younger Van Dijk. 

I wonder if he'll get his chance as I have high hopes for him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

On paper he should be starting. Alongside his celtic loan, he’s had Champions League experience and became an international in June. 

However, it’s the constant nagging injuries which are slowing him down 

Yeah he seems a bit injury prone doesn't he? I hope that's something the fitness coach and physios can work on as he's still relatively young.

12 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

No idea how good he is, the only game I watched him in was the u21 euros and he wasnt good at all. Think if he gets a chance it will be after xmas.

Bit like the entire England Team then.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Yeah he seems a bit injury prone doesn't he? I hope that's something the fitness coach and physios can work on as he's still relatively young.

The plastic pitches up North did not help him.  We have excellent physios, he should be fine!

34 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Bit like the entire England Team then.

31 minutes ago, PaulW said:

Hopefully our fitness regime is more advanced than that at Celtic, with the ability to raise his fitness levels, which should help ward of injuries.

26 minutes ago, AshbyBlue said:

Watch him at Celtic last year against Hearts they won 5nil and he scored man of the match.Top player stood out all game very impressed.If he can stay fit i believe he will be a top player.

13 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Once he’s fully fit I’m sure he will be the first choice CB along side Evans. Eventually Soyuncu will partner him, and that will be a pretty decent back two. 

46 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

No idea how good he is, the only game I watched him in was the u21 euros and he wasnt good at all. Think if he gets a chance it will be after xmas.

47 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

On paper he should be starting. Alongside his celtic loan, he’s had Champions League experience and became an international in June. 

However, it’s the constant nagging injuries which are slowing him down 

What are your thoughts on where Morgan fits into all of this? Do you think he's a head of Benkovic still? 

Just now, Collymore said:

What are your thoughts on where Morgan fits into all of this? Do you think he's a head of Benkovic still? 

I’d say no, and I think he knows it. Morgan has earned a lifetime contract here, and I would be more than happy to see him see him as backup and remain the club captain for as long as he wants to. I think we saw towards the end of last season that he isn’t considered a first team starter anymore, but when called upon he will do a job. I think at the moment Soyuncu and Evans are the first choice, once fit Benkovic will be probably ahead of either Soyuncu or Evans, depending on how things go.

• Like 3

From what I've read, Benkovic is unfit at the moment rather than injured. Obviously we will start the season with Evans and Soyuncu, with Morgan on the bench. Hopefully by the time we start playing League Cup games Benkovic is fit enough to be involved and move to 3rd choice CB. 

Edited by Jonaldinho
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I’d say no, and I think he knows it. Morgan has earned a lifetime contract here, and I would be more than happy to see him see him as backup and remain the club captain for as long as he wants to. I think we saw towards the end of last season that he isn’t considered a first team starter anymore, but when called upon he will do a job. I think at the moment Soyuncu and Evans are the first choice, once fit Benkovic will be probably ahead of either Soyuncu or Evans, depending on how things go.

The only thing I'd say is that I for one have written Wes off in the past only for him turn into a monster again.

This can't go on forever obviously but I wouldn't be surprised if he does claim a regular spot at some point..  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

The plastic pitches up North did not help him.  We have excellent physios, he should be fine!

Pretty sure he got brought back a bit too early from an injury as well to play in their game against Rangers, not exactly the most simple or easy of games to get him back into it

2 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Wes was decent last season, can still do a job for us. It wouldn't surprise me if he's ahead of Benko, in the short term at least. Experience counts for a lot.

Oh definitely expecting Wes to be the CB on the bench. It's the first cup match towards the end of September isn't it? I can imagine (assuming no injuries) that that's when Benko will make his full debut, and then we will take it from there. 

• Like 1

The issue for Benkovic is going to be how he gets fit as long as he's not a first-choice player.  I suspect he'll get his matches with the kids, and on his side is the fact that Rodgers knows his game already.  I would still think he's the 3rd-choice CB, but maybe not until he gets match fit.

4 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

The issue for Benkovic is going to be how he gets fit as long as he's not a first-choice player.  I suspect he'll get his matches with the kids, and on his side is the fact that Rodgers knows his game already.  I would still think he's the 3rd-choice CB, but maybe not until he gets match fit.

It's a good point about Rodgers knowing his game. You feel you can totally trust the decision to play him or not. 

Rodgers has seen the best of him already and if he still thinks that's not good enough at the moment then fair play. 

I really want him and Cags to shine ....    hopefully they will and it will be another piece of excellent business by the club.

But ..  no one knows more about Benko than BR ..   and he has had time to have a long hard look at Soyuncu ...    so why try and buy Tarkowski ??      :mellow:

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Pretty sure he got brought back a bit too early from an injury as well to play in their game against Rangers, not exactly the most simple or easy of games to get him back into it

True.