Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Benkovic

Celtic fans thought he was the best CB in Scottish football since Virgil Van Dyke and he already has been capped by Croatia.

Perhaps he's playing within himself for the U23's considering the standard and after his injuries? Ideally he has the pedigree to replace Morgan as that 3rd choice CB. If Benkovic isn't up to it for whatever reason then we'll probably need another CB as cover in January. Maybe someone like a Molla Wague profile who can just add numbers and be reasonably competent until the end of the season. 

Edited by Gerard

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

Celtic fans thought he was the best CB in Scottish football since Virgil Van Dyke and he already has been capped by Croatia.

Perhaps he's playing within himself for the U23's considering the standard and after his injuries? Ideally he has the pedigree to replace Morgan as that 3rd choice CB. If Benkovic isn't up to it for whatever reason then we'll probably need another CB as cover in January. Maybe someone like a Molla Wague profile who can just add numbers and be reasonably competent until the end of the season. 

it’s a fair point. Perhaps at Celtic he trusted the positioning a bit more of the defenders around him.. id imagine he’d feel the same in our senior squad.

Just now, Blue ROI said:

Soyuncu has been perfcect for us and even last year the fact that he stayed on and Benkovic went to Celtic was a sign who was the preferred option. 

Flip could turn into another Kramaric scenario. 

I still hold out plenty of hope for Benkovic. Our resident Celtic fan @henrik_62 has nothing but praise for him and we certainly need a third CB as Morgan will almost certainly leave the club next summer. He'll get plenty of game time here next season if we're in Europe, there is definitely an opening for a CB in this squad to cover, challenge and support Evans and Soyuncu. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I still hold out plenty of hope for Benkovic. Our resident Celtic fan @henrik_62 has nothing but praise for him and we certainly need a third CB as Morgan will almost certainly leave the club next summer. He'll get plenty of game time here next season if we're in Europe, there is definitely an opening for a CB in this squad to cover, challenge and support Evans and Soyuncu. 

I'd agree there is a need for cover most definitely. And given both Evans and Soyuncu got yellows yesterday we could need backup at some point.If he can be happy as cover like Gray and Praet then its a positive.

I'd hope he gets a chance to impress but he's far behind the other 2 players as it stands.

As others have said, he is a long way from a first team spot. Is this a reflection of the standard of Scottish football? (Who was the last player to come directly from the Scottish PL to the English PL?) Or is it that he has not fully recovered from his injury? Does he need game time in Championship ( loan in January) , to see how he performs? Or is he unlikely to be PLquality? Like others, I don't know the answer, but 12 months ago it always semed more likely he would be a regular in first team rather than Soyuncu. If we buy an estalished central defender in the transfer window, I can see his day here numbered.

13 hours ago, surrifox said:

Being described as reasonably competent  would be the highest accolade Molla Wague would have ever received 

That is harsh I think. He was unlucky to be injured but he was decent in the little time he was with us and has shown to be so in Italy.

Wouldn't read too much into yet sometimes players do stay in the development squad before they are ready. Choudhury ended up back there after his loan spell and then was promoted to first team. George Thomas is another one who's getting more appearances for Wales than the Leicester first team! But still regarded as a prospect so let's see.

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

That is harsh I think. He was unlucky to be injured but he was decent in the little time he was with us and has shown to be so in Italy.

I'm not sure we can say Wague was decent in his time with us. He played one match in a cup loss to Millwall and was subbed off just after the hour mark. And as far as I know he was with an Italian club but hasn't played much over there (maybe had a run in the Udinese side a year or two before he joined us). Since his time with us I think it's been mainly Championship and reserve team football.

Hopefully Benkovic's career won't go down that path, though. Maybe he's just woefully short of match fitness, is still recovering from a chronic injury, and we're looking to bring in more accomplished cover for the CBs. A loan out could easily be the making of him.

Guest An Sionnach
On 05/11/2019 at 00:27, BoyJones said:

He needs to go out to a championship side to experience real competitive football. Apart from half a dozen matches, the rest of the games in Scotland were literally a stroll in the park - and I did watch a few. 

It's no use him going to a championship struggler , needs to go to team doing pretty well , constant defeats will really hammer his confidence. 

On 04/11/2019 at 19:57, oxford blue said:

As others have said, he is a long way from a first team spot. Is this a reflection of the standard of Scottish football? (Who was the last player to come directly from the Scottish PL to the English PL?) Or is it that he has not fully recovered from his injury? Does he need game time in Championship ( loan in January) , to see how he performs? Or is he unlikely to be PLquality? Like others, I don't know the answer, but 12 months ago it always semed more likely he would be a regular in first team rather than Soyuncu. If we buy an estalished central defender in the transfer window, I can see his day here numbered.

I think his fitness is the main issue. He missed pre-season, so it's probable that he's still building up to full fitness. I think a loan in the Championship would do him the world of good.

I wouldn't say he's finished here if we sign a centre-half in Jan. Far from it. Let's not forget he's only 22. He's still young, especially so for a centre-half. It's looking quite likely that there may be a European competition to contend with next season, so there will be a lot more games which necessitates a bigger squad. With Wes likely not being our player next season, Benko will likely be 4th choice at worst. He'll get opportunities. On top of that, Brendan likes to go to 3 at the back when closing a game out. If that's something we carry on doing, then really, we want 5 CBs in the squad at the very least.

On 05/11/2019 at 00:27, BoyJones said:

He needs to go out to a championship side to experience real competitive football. Apart from half a dozen matches, the rest of the games in Scotland were literally a stroll in the park - and I did watch a few. 

Might as well send him out to Accrington Stanley than the SPL.. Similar standard!