Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

I am surprised VAR allowed the Burnley goal v Brighton but maybe it really will only be used for clear and obvious errors?

We’ll see - only week one !

Apparently one of the Man U goals would have been ruled out last season for offside but due to the change in lines it was allowed. 

Edited by Super_horns

8 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Love the new rules and makes the game better. Eradicates the rubbish soft pens and makes players know they have to stay on their feet because they wont get the soft crap pens. Imrpoves the game for sure, there will be less games ruined by an easy penalty.

In terms of offside, I agree on the idea of 'giving benefit to the attacking team'. The one problem I have is they dont show the lines and it goes on pictures. For example, yesterday Bruno fernandes looked offside, but it was given. Thats fair enough, but I can almost guarantee there will be 1 almost identical to that which isnt given because its 'off'.

Its odd. Almost like they want to make the decision that suits them. I dont get why they dont get the lines up still, stick a 1' green line on the attackers furthest part(foot only) and a thicker 2' red line on the last defenders foot. If the green line is seen on the wrong side of the red then its off..if its hidden behind the red or in front of the red then its a goal. Similar 'thicker lines' idea but shown to the world for certainty rather than leaving it to them to make a perception that can be inconsistent. 

They won’t show the lines via broadcasters in real time like they have before.  We just get the old fashioned single line across the pitch. They are still using the same system as before and as per MOTD post match analysis on Saturday, the still frame with the two lines and ‘onside’ at the bottom was shown. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I am surprised VAR allowed the Burnley goal v Brighton but maybe it really will only be used for clear and obvious errors?

We’ll see - only week one !

Apparently one of the Man U goals would have been ruled out last season for offside but due to the change in lines it was allowed. 

The Burnley goal was given because it was the defender committing the foul by attempting to block the Burnley player,  it was not an error in any way.

• Like 1

VAR itself was never the issue, it was how the premier league adopted it. I’m sure there will be times when we gain and lose as a result of the changes but it was ever introduced for clear and obvious errors and now they have amended how it’s used for offside we may not notice it this much this season.

11 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

The Burnley goal was given because it was the defender committing the foul by attempting to block the Burnley player,  it was not an error in any way.

Fair enough .

Didn’t think there was a lot there anyway but they talked about a pull but probably by both players.

Pretty shambolic that VAR didn’t overturn the West Ham penalty yesterday. It was clear as day that Murphy got all of the ball and the ball bounced off the West Ham player who then went over. Situations like that are what VAR is needed for. Completely changed the game and it was over at 3-2. 

• Like 2

VAR will just go the other way and never make any decisions, and just stick with whatever the ref says. Pleased with offsides being given benefit of doubt, although Fernandes looked offside in real time but the still image was close enough to be ok. 

As always though, every other decision in football is a matter of opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GingerrrFox said:

Pretty shambolic that VAR didn’t overturn the West Ham penalty yesterday. It was clear as day that Murphy got all of the ball and the ball bounced off the West Ham player who then went over. Situations like that are what VAR is needed for. Completely changed the game and it was over at 3-2. 

I thought at the time this wasn't a penalty, said immediately he won the ball, but his own reaction made me think I'd got it wrong. Turns out I was probably right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I thought at the time this wasn't a penalty, said immediately he won the ball, but his own reaction made me think I'd got it wrong. Turns out I was probably right.

Think the VAR ref was Peter Banks who had a few issues last season with VAR both as a on pitch ref and in front of the screen?

Edited by Super_horns

Now I’m not a massive conspiracy kinda guy… but I’m with Steve Bruce here:

Last week we get a marginal offside IN favour of Man U - no lines, benefit to the attacker.

This week marginal AGAINST Newcastle - lines, benefit to the defence!

At least last year it was consistent.

4 minutes ago, Phube said:

Last week we get a marginal offside IN favour of Man U - no lines, benefit to the attacker.

Are there any photo stills available from Shockley park ???

there was an official still frame of the   Man U one last week 

Edited by st albans fox

24 minutes ago, Phube said:

Danny Murphy tried to say it was because the lines didn’t overlap in the 2nd one but guess we won’t rally know ?

10 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Danny Murphy tried to say it was because the lines didn’t overlap in the 2nd one but guess we won’t rally know ?

I thought the same thing. It was a fair and rational explanation but there’s absolutely no way for the viewer to tell unless they zoom in and they didn’t.

I think this is a much better solution for everyone as it builds in a tolerance for the frame rate. But we are just going to have to trust when they talk about the lines overlapping because that looked extremely marginal yesterday.

42 minutes ago, Phube said:

I think the rule changes add to the grey in the interpretation of how certain incidents are viewed.  With no literal black or white interpretation, this will definitely favour the so-called big clubs imo.  And referees are still using the pitch side screens inconsistently.  

The big 6 centred media will prefer things this way. They've spent the last few seasons ignoring crap decisions against the smaller teams, but as soon as a factual offside goes against Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea et al, then their ex players roll out and bitch about it for 20 minutes at half time and an hour afterwards. Then Jermaine Jenas spends 10 minutes on Match of the Day crying because "Sonny" was "only a bit offside", then Garth Crooks writes a poorly constructed blog about how the worst decision in the history of football has occurred to disallow a Son goal for Tottenham, as "his toenail was offiside", and when all the bitching and moaning has finished, you see the original clip and realise the lino flagged it offside in the first instance, so it would have been disallowed even without VAR.

Harry Kane starts basketball dribbling the ball in the Leicester area and sets up Bale for a vital goal against Leicester on the last day of the season, but it's not a handball as it "didn't lead to a goal". Never mentioned again.

• Like 3

On 22/08/2021 at 09:53, Legend_in_blue said:

I think the rule changes add to the grey in the interpretation of how certain incidents are viewed.  With no literal black or white interpretation, this will definitely favour the so-called big clubs imo.  And referees are still using the pitch side screens inconsistently.  

Yet it seems Klopp and Solskjaer are the main complainants over referring this season:

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has joined Jurgen Klopp in complaining about the way referees are interpreting new laws this season.

As far as I am concerned, referees have just about got it right with the balance of letting the game flow, making heir own decisions(bearing in mind football is a game of (fair) physical contact) an, also, d referrals to VAR

Of course there will be decisions with which we disagree, but is about balance (particularly as VAR decisions last season were often controversial in themselves).

VAR does offer benefits if applied in a sensible way, and I am pleased referees are making far more decisions on their own this season.  I hope it continues.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 12:57, Phube said:

This looks official (can never tell in the internet I know, and we didn't see it on MOTD) but I can only see one colour of line!?

E9V9WL8XIAE2Xro?format=png&name=900x900

When it’s onside the PL are only showing a green line just to show it’s onside. The process is exactly the same for both decisions just when it’s onside they’re making it clear with a single green line rather than the two touching lines.

I think in most of Europe they leave both lines.