Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

• 2 months later...

The Premier League are to implement a change to the way the Video Assistant Referee interprets the offside law in the new season following the success of the system in Euro 2020.

VAR has been a major source of debate since its introduction to the League, with a number of contentious calls made by using the system.

One of the main areas of concern is the offside law and the tendency to rule goals out due to marginal calls.

Leicester City saw James Maddison denied a goal against Tottenham Hotspur back in December due to such a call.

That call, however, might go a different way in the new season, with ESPN reporting that a "tolerance level" will be added to offside calls from August.

It means that a conclusive result must be produced by the final image during a VAR check in order for offside to be given and a goal to be ruled out.

Fans will also no longer be shown the screen with the lines that works out the offside call.

The tolerance level was used successfully during Euro 2020 in the summer, but there is another element that will not be replicated in the Premier League.

The tournament also saw a dedicated VAR official for offsides in order to speed up the process of checking a goal and avoid some of the lengthy checks seen in the Premier League since the introduction of VAR.

However, it is claimed that the lack of qualified assistant referees means that it will be impossible to implement during every Premier League game this season.

While the speed of VAR during Euro 2020 may not be the same during the Premier League, the introduction of the tolerance level may eliminate some of the marginal offsides seen over the last two seasons.

17 hours ago, davieG said:

Fans will also no longer be shown the screen with the lines that works out the offside call.

The tolerance level was used successfully during Euro 2020 in the summer, but there is another element that will not be replicated in the Premier League.

However, it is claimed that the lack of qualified assistant referees means that it will be impossible to implement during every Premier League game this season.

In other words - "we know we're shit but we don't want to see just how shit"

• Like 1

I've ranted about this before.  The technology isnt up to "marginal decisions".

VAR cameras work at 60 frames per second.  100m runners cover the distance in 10 seconds (lets make the maths easy). 10 metres per second or 16 cm in 1/60th of a second or about half a size 10 football boot.

Given that footballers are not starting from a stationary position and are moving over shorter distances they are probably moving faster than 16cm per frame.  Add in that the defender may be moving in the opposite direction at a similar speed and you are approaching up to 32cm of difference between frames.  And then they are trying to convince us that his toes were offside. 

They need to simplify it.  My suggestion is/was 3 looks.  1st view either clearly on/off/too close to call.  2nd view, lines added clearly on/off/too close to call, 3rd view - same as second just to be sure.  If they cannot  decide - the goal stands. This faffing about with lines up to armpits and sleeves is ludicrous, again 16cm is too far big to decide where a players sleeve was from one frame to another.

As in other sports the ref's question should be "is there any reason I cant give the goal?"  Goals, after all are the point of the the game.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, pleatout said:

I've ranted about this before.  The technology isnt up to "marginal decisions".

VAR cameras work at 60 frames per second.  100m runners cover the distance in 10 seconds (lets make the maths easy). 10 metres per second or 16 cm in 1/60th of a second or about half a size 10 football boot.

Given that footballers are not starting from a stationary position and are moving over shorter distances they are probably moving faster than 16cm per frame.  Add in that the defender may be moving in the opposite direction at a similar speed and you are approaching up to 32cm of difference between frames.  And then they are trying to convince us that his toes were offside. 

They need to simplify it.  My suggestion is/was 3 looks.  1st view either clearly on/off/too close to call.  2nd view, lines added clearly on/off/too close to call, 3rd view - same as second just to be sure.  If they cannot  decide - the goal stands. This faffing about with lines up to armpits and sleeves is ludicrous, again 16cm is too far big to decide where a players sleeve was from one frame to another.

As in other sports the ref's question should be "is there any reason I cant give the goal?"  Goals, after all are the point of the the game.

Exactly the point I make when people say offside is a black and white decision. It simply isn't, and therefore needs a bit of flexibility / common sense.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know I’m in the 1% of fans who like last seasons offside VAR but does no-one else feel that Man U’s 3rd and probably decisive goal would have been offside last season?

I know the MOTD boys were gushing about how it was back to ‘how it used to be’ and no ‘armpit offsides’. 

Yes it was quicker, yes a quality goal was scored but was it correct?

And as much as the pundits are happy there will always be teams who will lose out Leeds today, us in the FA Cup final due to the general public’s inability to appreciate facts over feelings! 

And with that I’m sure we can put VAR to bed forever! :P

25 minutes ago, Phube said:

I know I’m in the 1% of fans who like last seasons offside VAR but does no-one else feel that Man U’s 3rd and probably decisive goal would have been offside last season?

I know the MOTD boys were gushing about how it was back to ‘how it used to be’ and no ‘armpit offsides’. 

Yes it was quicker, yes a quality goal was scored but was it correct?

And as much as the pundits are happy there will always be teams who will lose out Leeds today, us in the FA Cup final due to the general public’s inability to appreciate facts over feelings! 

And with that I’m sure we can put VAR to bed forever! :P

Yes it would be last season but with thicker lines this season it isn’t. The benefit of doubt is once again given to the attacking player, just as the law is written. 

This approach is way overdue - hopefully with less intervention from VAR’s we can get back to a game where the officials at the ground run the game and are only bothered when they’ve made a ‘CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR’.  The VAR was not supposed to re referee the game but here that’s what we did with it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vlad the Fox said:

What are the new directives? Because watching match of the day the leeds one seemed a lot quicker and there was no lines. Are they just taking a quicker look now and if it’s not clear to the eye the goal stands?

They still use the lines but we aren’t allowed to see them in real time 

and because they aren’t using such fine lines to eventually decide if it’s on/off the decision is faster.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

They still use the lines but we aren’t allowed to see them in real time 

and because they aren’t using such fine lines to eventually decide if it’s on/off the decision is faster.  

I didn’t watch the game live, was it a much quicker decision or had motd edited it? 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Yes it would be last season but with thicker lines this season it isn’t. The benefit of doubt is once again given to the attacking player, just as the law is written. 

This approach is way overdue - hopefully with less intervention from VAR’s we can get back to a game where the officials at the ground run the game and are only bothered when they’ve made a ‘CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR’.  The VAR was not supposed to re referee the game but here that’s what we did with it.  

But there is no doubt, only on or off with VAR. only humans have doubt!

And as Bruno WAS offside then it was a clear and obvious error!

23 minutes ago, Phube said:

But there is no doubt, only on or off with VAR. only humans have doubt!

And as Bruno WAS offside then it was a clear and obvious error!

offside is nothing to do with ‘clear and obvious error’.  It is onside or offside. The issue is that the tech cannot reliably get the absolute  moment the ball leaves the foot right so the freeze frame is not 100%. Hence the new interpretation of thicker lines allows for both that discrepancy add also takes into account that the forward receives any benefit of doubt as should be the case. 

Var is being used properly and finally. Bruno's goal for man u was indeed to tight but to credit they are now giving the benefit of the doubt to striker. The goal at Burnley where the Brighton player went down claiming he was fouled, once again credit the officials, Brighton player should have worked hard to stay on his feet while defending a corner. He went down to easy.

Edited by Leicesterpool

Love the new rules and makes the game better. Eradicates the rubbish soft pens and makes players know they have to stay on their feet because they wont get the soft crap pens. Imrpoves the game for sure, there will be less games ruined by an easy penalty.

In terms of offside, I agree on the idea of 'giving benefit to the attacking team'. The one problem I have is they dont show the lines and it goes on pictures. For example, yesterday Bruno fernandes looked offside, but it was given. Thats fair enough, but I can almost guarantee there will be 1 almost identical to that which isnt given because its 'off'.

Its odd. Almost like they want to make the decision that suits them. I dont get why they dont get the lines up still, stick a 1' green line on the attackers furthest part(foot only) and a thicker 2' red line on the last defenders foot. If the green line is seen on the wrong side of the red then its off..if its hidden behind the red or in front of the red then its a goal. Similar 'thicker lines' idea but shown to the world for certainty rather than leaving it to them to make a perception that can be inconsistent.