Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

Why they don’t do it like rugby, I have no idea. Give a clear on-field decision and then openly talk to the VAR and say ‘the on-field decision was x, can you see a clear reason to change that decision?’

For offsides you don’t faff around with freeze-frames and lines, you look at a replay at normal speed. If you can’t see from that that the decision was clearly wrong, then the decision wasn’t clearly wrong.

btw the response for the penalty today the response would be ‘his other arm is being pulled by the attacker. No penalty; free kick to the defending team.’

• Like 4

Is not really VAR, that is the problem though is it. Its the inconsistencies by those making the decisions, that is the problem. VAR is supposed to help with consistency, but it is just making it even more frustrating with decisions feeling like pure lottery most of the time.

They should mic up the referees, so we can hear the conversations with VAR and then they should give interviews after the games to explain their decisions. At least that would give some clarity to the decision making.

But its unreal that even with VAR, we have so many controversies. I really thought it would help the game, but it really hasn't. But remember, before VAR, we were always moaning about the ref and shit decisions as well.  

3 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

But remember, before VAR, we were always moaning about the ref and shit decisions as well.

We were, but we did at least realise deep down that people are bound to make mistakes sometimes, and couldn’t necessarily see everything. Now we expect them to see everything and get everything right, we wait ages while they faff about with it, and we end up with at least as many rubbish decisions as before. What’s the point? Get rid, I say!

• Like 3

The problem with Var won't go away if you get rid of it, because the issue is this: try naming a good premier League ref, who isn't Michael Oliver.

Moss: shit

Pawson: shit

Scott: shit

Bankes: shit

Atwell: shit

Kavanagh: shit

Dean: shit

Coote: shit

Jones: faceball

Madley: as shit as his brother

Tierney: shit

Marriner: shit

8 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

The problem with Var won't go away if you get rid of it, because the issue is this: try naming a good premier League ref, who isn't Michael Oliver.

Moss: shit

Pawson: shit

Scott: shit

Bankes: shit

Atwell: shit

Kavanagh: shit

Dean: shit

Coote: shit

Jones: faceball

Madley: as shit as his brother

Tierney: shit

Marriner: shit

It’s a sport not a perfect science. 

If our refs either aren't capable or are just choosing not to use var properly then what is the point? They honestly seem to be making it up as they go along. The Southampton pen yesterday for me wasn't a pen, however the current var guidelines on penalties state it has to be a clear and obvious error by the ref for var to intervene. There is absolutely no way that is a clear and obvious error by the ref. I don't agree with the clear and obvious crap, the decision should just be made based on the replay with the ref using the monitor to make the decision if needed but as it stands, var wasn't used correctly in that instance and Man C got away with one. 

And then today. How on earth can the ref not see the blatant foul on Vester for their penalty? If the ref is only looking at the handball and nothing else then yet again, they have failed to use var properly. The first disallowed goal i can accept and was very similar to the one against Norwich. However the 2nd one is just incredible. Again, var has clearly just looked is he offside? Yes. No goal. If it was used properly, they would look at the incident and say yes he's offside but not in the keepers view and not interfering with play. 

Imagine these decisions today had gone against one of the "big clubs" there would have been absolutely uproar and Klopp, Pep, insert any bell end "big club" manager would have calling for investigations into var failings and all sorts. But little old leicester just have to suck it up. Sick to death of this game now its a farce

• Like 2

At no point was Barnes in the keepers line of sight from when the corner was taken to when Wilf headed the ball. Have they given that offside just because he was stood next to (slightly behind) the keeper when the corner was taken. Utter bollocks. 
image.png.62e5f152af85adb7d1bc238dbca4206f.png

image.png.b237ed6a23f436339324d26796ea4ec9.png

Edited by turlo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ttfn said:

But the same was true of the disallowed norwich goal against us.

In this situation the only relevant question should be whether the attacking player materially impacts the ability of the goalkeeper to save the ball. I’ve not seen our 2 goals today but for the Norwich one Schmeichel could have had a completely unimpeded view, stood an extra yard to his left and still not got anywhere near it. We’re just ruling out goals for the sake of it at this point.

It's not Kaspers job to move out the way, if the player is in his way where he wants to stand, then he's impeding him. How does he know he'll have an unimpeded view if he moves a yard? He's standing in the position he thinks will give him the best chance of stopping any attempt on goal, why should he move when a player in a offside position is in his way.

Today, Barnes wasn't in the way, certainly for the second goal. Sanchez at no point was impeded by him, and that's the difference.

Anybody that has ever been a fan of var even from the beginning must be an armchair fan. It’s ruined the single most important part of the game which is celebrating a goal not to mention its just corruption to make sure the decisions stay with the elite sky sports 6 teams and their exclusive club

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mint23 said:

Anybody that has ever been a fan of var even from the beginning must be an armchair fan. It’s ruined the single most important part of the game which is celebrating a goal not to mention its just corruption to make sure the decisions stay with the elite sky sports 6 teams and their exclusive club

Totally agree 

however, as @bert said earlier, the absence of VAR would have made no difference today- VAR simply didn’t get involved with the on field calls ….. which were questionable at best ……

8 minutes ago, Mint23 said:

I was a fan of VAR but not an armchair fan so this is clearly not true. 

Quite obviously can admit VAR has its flaws and a lot of it, like today, is down to interpretation or sheer stupidity from the officials. You can't advocate for that. 

As for celebrating a goal, I'm pretty sure no one stopped in their celebrations to wait for VAR while in the ground today. They all celebrated like normal. 

Exactly like we did when Daka scored against Napoli. We all went batshit crazy. 

22 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It's not Kaspers job to move out the way, if the player is in his way where he wants to stand, then he's impeding him. How does he know he'll have an unimpeded view if he moves a yard? He's standing in the position he thinks will give him the best chance of stopping any attempt on goal, why should he move when a player in a offside position is in his way.

Today, Barnes wasn't in the way, certainly for the second goal. Sanchez at no point was impeded by him, and that's the difference.

I wasn’t suggesting he should move out of the way, I was saying the header was so far in the corner that even had he been stood a yard to his left and Cantwell hadn’t been there it wouldn’t have been saved.

Don’t disagree about the second one and I agree there’s a difference. I’m just saying the law is an ass.

Edited by ttfn

We have a problem now if it’s use in more instances than not is to validate on field decisions, like it did today. Although I note this didn’t happen yesterday at the Etihad and Southampton can count themselves very unlucky.

I was initially supportive of VAR, but then I realised it just transfers subjective decisions into a studio where more people look at the subjective decision. The ruling out of Ndidi’s goal is baffling. When a player is offside and he scores it’s black and white, but today IMO the first and third decisions were not subjective - the on field officials got it wrong. I’m almost struggling for words to describe how incompetent it was today. 

And one final thing, it’s almost like they target specific issues at any one time. At the moment it’s the inferring with the goalkeeper that Barnes allegedly did today. Remember when Morgan and Huth got pulled up for wrestling players in the build up to set pieces… what did Maupay do to Vestergaard in the build up to the hand ball (and by the way is it handball if it’s point blank range from about a yard)? 

Theres no consistency, common sense or fairness here - it’s just another bunch of people looking  at subjective decision the same way a referee does. But at least get the ****ing decisions right.

7 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

l (and by the way is it handball if it’s point blank range from about a yard)? 

Depends - if you’re going to make that the decisive factor then players will start windmilling their arms around when close to the contact on the basis that it’s too near to be called.

basically, your arms have to be below shoulder level (or not making your profile larger). vesty decided to raise his left arm as he was being pulled. If he doesn’t then the player behind him has a clear header  - was he trying to draw the refs attention to the fact he was being pulled ? Damned whatever he did. No raise of his arm and the header goes directly in - raising his arm to show the foul and he runs the risk of the ball striking the outstretched arm. 

the VAR should be deciding that the referee has made a clear and obvious error in not seeing the foul by maupay …. But then how many defenders hold onto strikers in a similar way at set plays ?  

On the Ronaldo situation for Lingard's goal, it would've been interesting to see if the linesman had flagged what the decision would've been.

I've mentioned it before but this whole scenario of keepers being affected was thrown out when Newcastle had this goal ruled out against Man City several years ago- 

Go to 0:28 for the goal. The Newcastle player isn't impeding Hart, in his eyeline and making an attempt to play the ball. Hart only notices him after the ball hits the net.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

the VAR should be deciding that the referee has made a clear and obvious error in not seeing the foul by maupay …. But then how many defenders hold onto strikers in a similar way at set plays ?

Loads. But if there was to be any justification for having VAR (spoiler alert : there isn’t) it would be to notice things like that - fouls that it’s unreasonable to expect a single pair of eyes to see all rhe time.

5 hours ago, Bert said:

It’s also worth noting that all decisions that went against us were all made without VAR changing them. VAR just backed them up so had we not had VAR all three decisions would’ve been the same. 

Not necessarily arguing here but do we think that the referee/linesmen decisions would have altered if VAR didn’t exist? 

Sometimes I wonder if referees now make a verdict knowing they have the safety net. 

• Like 2

Time vor VAR officials & Refs, to be put before the media...No witch-hunt..!!

3-5 sport journos, asking the questions...

I can only Think they were dumb bias southerners...

#Missed the arm-wrestling

#No Problem with First disallowed goal

# Total Bias View of Not Correcting linesman..

Edited by fuchsntf

How can we be sat here after years of trials abroad followed by 3 seasons of VAR in this country and the people who are literally trained to get decisions right get them so very wrong. It took me, you and every other football fan seconds to realise that Brighton shouldn’t have had a penalty and that N’didi’s goal should have counted. Why can’t those idiots at Stockley Park get these decisions right? It’s their job, isn’t it? If I decide to be shit at my job tomorrow I’ll get pulled up on it but that bunch of jokers can be so incredibly abject without any repercussions. It’s just tragic.

**** VAR. 

• Like 3