Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

9 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Probably going against the grain here, but I didn't think it was a pen. Yes Dunk clearly takes out Vardy, but this was after he's played the ball. I thought JV went looking for the contact and whilst I appreciate that the laws don't take into consideration situational context I'm not convinced Vardy was in a particularly threatening position had the challenge not come in. I think he realised this and was waiting to see if he could entice Dunk into making contact. 

Even the Brighton fans are saying it was a penalty and they got lucky

On the TV they showed the replay from behind the line once and it looked like a penalty. They showed the other replay from upfield several times - from that angle it looked like Dunk got the ball, but it wasn't the best view imo. I wonder if that is the one VAR was repeatedly looking at - if so why?

If the on field decision retains eminence then that’s a good thing.  But then we’ve seen calls like last night overturned before. If Oliver is asked to look at it then he may well give it.  I don’t want the game to be re reffed.  For many reasons (the main one being vards would Probably have missed the pen),  I’m comfortable that it wasn’t given!

I thought contact was made before the ball was touched by Dunk. Vardy does often move his leg to initiate contact but on this occasion he didn't, Dunk cut across him.

More of a penalty than not for me.

• Like 1

There was an incident in the first half where Vardy was shouldered off the ball by a Brighton defender. He stayed on his feet and didn't make attempt to appeal for a foul (which it wasn't) but the sort of incident the likes of Salah, Mane, etc would've gone sprawling and screaming for action (which would've been given, obviously). 

3 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Never a penalty IMO. We would have been livid if it had been given against us.

The problem with these decisions is the inconsistency. Sometimes they are given, sometimes not.

And this thread,  tells us why there is inconsistency,  one man's penalty is another's no penalty.  No two situations, in a game full of subjectivity in the rules,  are exactly the same.  VAR was introduced for the benefit of TV and the arm chair fan and has completely spoiled the live experience and I don't see that changing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I've looked at it so many times and I can't see where Dunk gets the ball.

Agree but it’s very close (would you stake your life savings that there wasn’t a snick on the snickometer ). therefore, would you call it a clear and obvious error on the refs part for thinking that he had ??

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Agree but it’s very close (would you stake your life savings that there wasn’t a snick on the snickometer ). therefore, would you call it a clear and obvious error on the refs part for thinking that he had ??

I mean it's a moot point because VAR officials don't have that. Based on the pictures available (that I presume are the ones we are fed on TV), I see no touch on the ball and I've yet to see conclusive proof that he did. 

• Like 1

I was absolutely fuming before we scored our second, I was honestly already celebrating the fact that we were going to be awarded a penalty. 

Vardy clearly got the touch before the defender in my eyes, normally the angles you see on VAR are the ones they actually have so I have no idea how Stuart Attwell came to his conclusion so quick

View from the line clearly showed contact with Vardy and vardy then nudged the ball forward.Not much impact but it happened.The rear view did not show that clearly.VAR could very well have been justified to give us that one

Are we saying its Ok to kick someone up in the air providing you have made some sort of contact with the ball first.

37 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I mean it's a moot point because VAR officials don't have that. Based on the pictures available (that I presume are the ones we are fed on TV), I see no touch on the ball and I've yet to see conclusive proof that he did. 

But that’s not required Stan - it needs to be a clear and obvious error that Oliver didn’t award the pen 

it’s close to that but IMO, it doesn’t cross that threshold.  Plenty of other overturns have also failed to reach that bar which is the problem really .... inconsistency....

Just now, st albans fox said:

But that’s not required Stan - it needs to be a clear and obvious error that Oliver didn’t award the pen 

it’s close to that but IMO, it doesn’t cross that threshold.  Plenty of other overturns have also failed to reach that bar which is the problem really .... inconsistency....

That's fair enough. To be quite honest the fact we got the win makes me care less about it :P.

If it stayed a draw, I think this decision in isolation would make me feel a bit frustrated. 

• Like 1

At least  they actually reviewed this one, unlike last season when they ignored that obvious handball by Dunk slapping away a cross to stop it reaching Barnes near the end of the game. That one, they didn't even delay the goal kick, I'm convinced they didn't even look at it.

Edited by orangecity23

29 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

At least  they actually reviewed this one, unlike last season when they ignored that obvious handball by Dunk slapping away a cross to stop it reaching Barnes near the end of the game. That one, they didn't even delay the goal kick, I'm convinced they didn't even look at it.

I wonder if they didn’t want to go against Brighton after the fuss last week if it wasn’t clear and obvious?

Know that shouldn’t come into it but might play on the minds of officials not to  upset teams again so soon.

The whole ‘clear and obvious’ thing falls down when VAR officials have to spend over 5 minutes studying a blurry few seconds of video - like Ndidi at Everton last season. If you have to study it for that long it’s not clear and obvious.

It just needs to be used consistently. But I think the problem lies in how many people are involved. I don’t know how many VAR officials there are, but at the moment it seems they are just transferring mistakes made by humans on the field to mistakes being made in a studio. 

And the offside thing infuriates me. I highly doubt these stupid freeze frames are accurate enough to be paused the moment the pass is made or the ball leaves the players foot. I don’t even know what part of the body can or can’t be offside anymore. The fact people were talking about changing the offside law to suit technology seems like it’s a case of the tail wagging the dog.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...