Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

19 hours ago, CAMBIASSOOOOOO said:

The game was never meant to be perfect, the refereeing cant be done with robotic precision. 

Well that’s just a weird statement, which I’ve heard before. 
The game has rules, the rules are meant to be adhered to, the referees are meant to apply those rules to the letter.

There is no ‘meant’, only right or wrong. 

I’d personally love it if every decision was correct - especially ball in and out of play. But at the minute, no we can’t have robotic precision - but one day hopefully!

When VAR was brought I was under the impression it was to look at incidents and if it was glaringly obvious something was missed then the ref would be made aware.

So for example, the Soyuncu penalty incident on Saturday. It really wasn't clear that the referee had missed a blatant foul. In fact they looked at it for over 3 minutes, scrutinising it. Imo they need to look at it from a couple of angles, no slow motion. If it's clear the referee has missed a trip or handball etc from those views then make him aware. It was meant to eradicate obvious mistakes, if you need to watch it slowed down from 10 different angles, it's not that much of an error is it.

It would be nice to get the game as perfectly refereed. But in order to not slow it down and the fact many decisions are subjective, it'll never happen. Just keep it too spotting blatant mistakes, not looking hard for errors.

• Like 2

On 30/08/2021 at 15:49, Free Falling Foxes said:

How long did it take VAR to award the Norwich pen on Saturday? 

Whether you view it as a foul or not, to take so long to reach the decision surely means the refs original decision ( no foul) was not a clear and obvious error.

Yep. It's still rubbish. Always will be. Don't believe the hype.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Facecloth said:

When VAR was brought I was under the impression it was to look at incidents and if it was glaringly obvious something was missed then the ref would be made aware.

So for example, the Soyuncu penalty incident on Saturday. It really wasn't clear that the referee had missed a blatant foul. In fact they looked at it for over 3 minutes, scrutinising it. Imo they need to look at it from a couple of angles, no slow motion. If it's clear the referee has missed a trip or handball etc from those views then make him aware. It was meant to eradicate obvious mistakes, if you need to watch it slowed down from 10 different angles, it's not that much of an error is it.

It would be nice to get the game as perfectly refereed. But in order to not slow it down and the fact many decisions are subjective, it'll never happen. Just keep it too spotting blatant mistakes, not looking hard for errors.

That is blantantly obviously obvious. I think a VAR could be great. But it has been destroyed by having an old ref in charge of it - and one of the worst too. Mark Riley is, and has always been an absolute..c.....

• Like 1

I’m afraid that if you ask for a ‘lighter touch approach’ with less goals being ruled out then the pogba/neves thing will happen. 

if you want games re reffed when goals go in then you end up with last season or worse 

I prefer leaving it to the on field ref unless it’s an absolute stonewaller which my gran can see is a foul  - (dead fifty years btw)

hence I’m happy that there will be rough with smooth, ups and downs through the season. 

but there are still inconsistencies like cags on Saturday. In a room of a hundred voters, probably an error by the ref but not a stonewaller where 95/100 say pen immediately and therefore not reverseable. we have to get rid of those inconsistencies.

ayo’s sending off is simply consequence driven - again, that will always happen ‘in the modern game’. You can’t have players having their legs broken after a conscious move of a players leg and not sanction that. That’s one which irks me but I don’t see a way around it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching a Portuguese match. Maritime versus some team in yellow. They get a corner the ball lands on the ground someone whips it in, Maritimo are happy. Then the ref gets a message from VAR to look at it. 1 one of the yellow team handled the ball, the goal is wiped out and they're given a pen instead. Okay they scored the pen but what if they'd missed? The defending side got a second chance, they were rewarded for a hand ball. 

Edited by Webbo

On 13/09/2021 at 20:06, Webbo said:

Just watching a Portuguese match. Maritime versus some team in yellow. They get a corner the ball lands on the ground someone whips it in, Maritimo are happy. Then the ref gets a message from VAR to look at it. 1 one of the yellow team handled the ball, the goal is wiped out and they're given a pen instead. Okay they scored the pen but what if they'd missed? The defending side got a second chance, they were rewarded for a hand ball. 

I bet the defender was screaming at the ref that he had handballed it in the box 😂

On 01/09/2021 at 07:16, st albans fox said:

hence I’m happy that there will be rough with smooth, ups and downs through the season. 

It's always been like this. Just the focus of people's ire have moved from refs/linesman to VAR. Every week MOTD they'd spend ages debating a blatant bad bit of refereeing and say it's a hard job and they need assistance. The biggest problem is the state of refereeing isn't very good and instead of digging them out VAR just becomes a reflection of their ineptitude at times. OGS says "football shouldn't turn into Rugby" but he's wrong. The culture at the top level (not all levels) of Rugby between players, fans and refs is completely different. That IMO is what needs addressing. I've said it a million times, they need to entirely change how Refs operate and how each party communicates with each other. Copying how rugby does that would make for a much less confrontational relationship and will allow each party to just do their jobs.

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Football is better with poor officiating, wrong decisions, controversy. Scrap VAR & goal line technology, you win some you lose some.

Couldn’t disagree more… but each to their own.

8 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Football is better with poor officiating, wrong decisions, controversy. Scrap VAR & goal line technology, you win some you lose some.

I would argue but the bigger teams get more favourable decisions but it still happens with VAR. At least if it’s something blatant like an awarded goal being cancelled out because of being offside then you’ll get the right decision so for me currently it just gets my approval.

It needs to be a lot more consistent tho.

8 hours ago, Phube said:

Couldn’t disagree more… but each to their own.

Certainly keep the latter .

Players in football get away with all sorts of dissent which doesn’t help meaning they can put as much pressure on officials as they want.

Rugby doesn’t allow that so there is more respect and better understanding/communication.

Edited by Super_horns