Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

On 24/09/2019 at 10:44, Steven said:

Supreme court rules Boris Johnson's prorogation was 'unlawful'

Hale says the court is “bound to conclude that the decision to advise her Majesty to prorogue parliament was unlawful”.

The Tory press has dished out some pretty disgusting vitriol in the direction of Lady Hale in the last few days. Mostly following the lead of Quentin Letts who described her as a 'beady-eyed old nanny goat'.

He should know better, she is an outstanding barrister who became the first woman to reach the Supreme Court, still very much the preserve of privileged old public schoolboys.

She is also known for her distinctive brooches. Here is one I think everyone on here will like!

Lady-Hale-fox.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone else see the historic footage of Jennifer Arcuri giggling flirtatiously on stage with Boris, pawing at him and generally behaving in a "kittenish manner"?

I knew that I'd seen her somewhere before.... :whistle:

p.s. Yes, I know that their private life is none of our business and the only issue of public interest is whether he helped public funds to flow in her direction due to their friendship or "friendship"....but we can still laugh (before we cry)! 

Image result for Jennifer Arcuri

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

End of the day nothing has changed, we've just got a more vitriolic prime minister 

Here here.

It's about time this immoral nazi, racist, fascist enabling dictator criminal toned down his hyperbolic language so we can have proper sensible political debate.

Edited by MattP

11 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Thanks Alf. Got the match recorded and just about to watch it, and you’ve just told me the result! Thought this thread was safe. Reminds me of the Alf Garnet sketch where he’s got the big fight recorded, and the “silly old moo” phones him from Australia and tells him the result lol

Well at least it’s a win so will be enjoyable to watch, and still don’t know the score.

Ps I’m sure some of my family agree with @Strokes lol

Edit: :scarf::trumpet::cheers:

lol

I think you all got it but so we are clear, it was you representing the EU in the metaphor I was referring too. Not your real self. :kissing:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Guvnor said:

The BBC outside the Tory Party conference interviewing Boris, you might have expected pertinent questioning about the current political crisis, no instead they asked him if he squeezed a womens leg under a table in 1999.

FFS.

"But the conference has been overshadowed by allegations that Boris Johnson squeezed the thigh of a journalist during a lunch in 1999"

Pathetic.

4 hours ago, MattP said:

Here here.

It's about time this immoral nazi, racist, fascist enabling dictator criminal toned down his hyperbolic language so we can have proper sensible political debate.

3 hours ago, The Guvnor said:

The BBC outside the Tory Party conference interviewing Boris, you might have expected pertinent questioning about the current political crisis, no instead they asked him if he squeezed a womens leg under a table in 1999.

FFS.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

"But the conference has been overshadowed by allegations that Boris Johnson squeezed the thigh of a journalist during a lunch in 1999"

Pathetic.

@MattP you need to add sexual predator and misogynist to that list now.:ph34r:

Guest MattP
15 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

@MattP you need to add sexual predator and misogynist to that list now.:ph34r:

Definitely, I'm just so glad she remembered it and decided to tell us on the morning the Tory conference started.

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Can you summarise? I'm at work, so can't watch, but it'll probably get deleted before I get chance to.

He says that they shouldn't talk about the incident as if he's guilty when he has denies it, you don't just assume someone is telling the truth because they say they are.

He then repeats the old Alan Clark quote about "how do I know if my advances are unwanted until I've made them" it then abruptly cuts him off mid-sentence to repeat it over and over again.

If anyone hasn't heard of Alan Clark I'd advise a read if his diaries, along with Paddy Ashdown the most fascinating political memoirs going.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49885230

While any pro research viewpoint is good, I'm not sure what kind of cure for cancer, satellite network or hadron collider you can fund for just £600 million.

The point being, of course, that bleeding edge research of the type Boris talks about is best funded and done collaboratively rather than being a single nation effort.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

I've got an idea regarding the "backstop".

Let Ireland have Northern Ireland.

I've been to Ireland, it's nice. Lovely place and what's more, it's practically indistinguishable from living in the UK.

To be fair though, the whole idea of sovereignty is just the remnants of medieval feudalism.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I've been to Ireland, it's nice. Lovely place and what's more, it's practically indistinguishable from living in the UK.

To be fair though, the whole idea of sovereignty is just the remnants of medieval feudalism.

Having just come back from Belfast I can tell you it's not as simple as that. 

Guest MattP
36 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

If it wasn't for the civil war and thousands of deaths that follow doing this you might be onto something.

Fundamentally though - if that decision is ever taken its for the people of Northern Ireland to do so.

9 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Having just come back from Belfast I can tell you it's not as simple as that. 

Obviously, but I honestly don't get what difference it makes what country you live in so long as you're treated fairly, peacefully and have a chance to thrive. Caring about what colours are on the flag flying from the government building, it just baffles me. How does it affect one damn thing? Switching from conservative government to Labour government has more of an effect, yet we do it with regularity.

Of course I'm being idealistic here. I'm not naive enough to believe that humans can govern themselves to the benefit of all.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Obviously, but I honestly don't get what difference it makes what country you live in so long as you're treated fairly, peacefully and have a chance to thrive. Caring about what colours are on the flag flying from the government building, it just baffles me. How does it affect one damn thing? Switching from conservative government to Labour government has more of an effect, yet we do it with regularity.

Of course I'm being idealistic here. I'm not naive enough to believe that humans can govern themselves to the benefit of all.

Then it doesn't matter if we stay or leave the EU, Lines on paper have cost a lot of lives over the years.  

1 minute ago, twoleftfeet said:

Then it doesn't matter if we stay or leave the EU, Lines on paper have cost a lot of lives over the years.  

Kind of. Leaving does however ink in one of those lines which was previously pencil... allegorically.

Jo Cox has already died over this one.

I'm not making a political point, just saying...

cant-we-all-just-get-along.jpg?w=500

27 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I appreciate that, and I really wish it were that easy too. But sadly people are equally passionate about entirely opposite things and are mostly so entrenched in their position, there's not a chance that you can shift it - especially in somewhere like Northern Ireland.

• Like 1

Widespread reports of police dealing with an incident at the Tory conference after Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP got into a punch-up (possibly "handbags") with either a fellow delegate or a security bod.

This occurred just before Priti Patel was about to give her speech on being tough on crime....

:blink: lol

• Haha 1

Guest MattP
42 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

its almost as if... the borders are the problem

We need more borders, not less.

The Kurdistan and the Tibetan people both deserve their independence from Iraq and China. Two there for starters.