Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Thanks - I feel exactly the same about you as well and always read what you write.

I know it obviously seems like it but I don't actually hate Corbyn, I certainly hate the people around him like McDonnell, Milne, Murray though and I think they are the ones pulling his strings. I think Jezza is more naive than nasty - whereas the three I mention I think are genuinely malevolent.

Well that’s the pleasantries out of the way. Shall we cut out the next few months and move straight onward to the meeting up for a fight? lol

But seriously, we should do a beer at some point before one of our livers fails.

4 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well that’s the pleasantries out of the way. Shall we cut out the next few months and move straight onward to the meeting up for a fight? lol

But seriously, we should do a beer at some point before one of our livers fails.

Definitely, will have to try and meet up after a match or something.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

BBC breakfast have just shown a piece on Corbyn trying to kick a football. He’s just lost my vote.

I heard that he was trying to act the midfield playmaker, but kept slicing passes to the left wing and hitting spectators causing the crowd to get irate.

Meanwhile, Swinson won't accept the referee's decisions, Lucas keeps moaning about the sprinkler system & the stadium falling down, Sturgeon is convinced that Scottish clubs can succeed in Europe, Farage thinks we don't need European football or so many foreign footballers, while Boris has returned from a 9-match FA ban that he disputes, wearing casual gear, announcing a Baby Squad relaunch & declaring that the club should ditch Champions' League ambitions in favour of a great new league with Chinese, Japanese and American clubs.... 

• Haha 1

The only thing we can conclude from this is that people will lie and distort the truth for their own political gain regardless of their views. Shock.

For me, the moment control was lost was when people started pushing for 'no deal' as the go to.

A smooth deal was the compromise which got us out of the EU while allowing citizens to keep as many rights as possible. However the compromise is the thing that nobody wants. 

Unfortunately now I don't think that anything will be fully good enough for anyone. This is the culture war.

• Like 3

Just now, Lionator said:

A smooth deal was the compromise which got us out of the EU while allowing citizens to keep as many rights as possible. However the compromise is the thing that nobody wants. 

Unfortunately now I don't think that anything will be fully good enough for anyone. This is the culture war.

May's deal should have been voted through (and would have been had the actual laws of article 50 been upheld) and probably should now come back to the house to be voted through.

The only way the nation can move forward and heal now is if either everyone is happy or nobody is happy - the latter is the only option really available as No Deal or Revocation/Reversal will leave half the population disgusted. 

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

This for my typifies the whole Brexit vote from the start, in 2016 when it was first properly spoken about. 

Society is so divisive these days, in line with the politics that it stems from these days. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

May's deal should have been voted through (and would have been had the actual laws of article 50 been upheld) and probably should now come back to the house to be voted through.

The only way the nation can move forward and heal now is if either everyone is happy or nobody is happy - the latter is the only option really available as No Deal or Revocation/Reversal will leave half the population disgusted. 

I've come to that conclusion and I think that Labour will regret not pushing it through in order to try and get into power. Labour could quite easily win a post-brexit election which is based on domestic policy which is their strong point in my opinion. An election based on brexit and they're toast. 

I'm very much a remainer but a deal which allows us to still work with Europe with regard to minor adjustments to academic opportunity and healthcare (my sector) is acceptable to me and respects the vote to leave (which has to be done). I don't particularly understand trade and neither do 95% of the population.

The Lib Dems going to full on revoke automatically withdraws any argument they have about Tories being extreme in what they want from Brexit. Basically the whole thing is a mess. 

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This for my typifies the whole Brexit vote from the start, in 2016 when it was first properly spoken about. 

Society is so divisive these days, in line with the politics that it stems from these days. 

And yes! People will shape an argument based on what side they identify with. Take this weeks issue for example. As a rational lefty, and a human being, I thought that Boris's Humbug comments were of very bad taste. Those who identify on the right then shifted the argument to the labour MP's bringing it up in the first place. Basically everything can be manipulated to suit people's viewpoints. There is no middle ground.

• Like 1

I think people saying that the WA represents some sort of compromise or even a semi-soft Brexit are being very naive. It still leaves all of the questions up in the air and kicks the can two years down the road (presuming we get a two year extension still). It still makes the break up of the UK more likely. It still means years and years of Brexit debates. It still means we're worse off than we were in the EU.

The Conservatives decided to interpret a 52-48 vote on an extremely poorly-defined issue as a mandate for a hard Brexit and completely screwed us with their farcical red lines. We've fvcked up massively. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MattP said:

If the decision is overturned there should absolutely be civil disorder.

It shouldn't be randomly smashing up shops though, it needs to be targeted directly at the people who caused it.

But we are still a long way from that and that sort of behaviour should always be a last resort, a nuclear option.

Sinister

What do you suggest, lynching, beating?

Edited by WigstonWanderer

3 hours ago, MattP said:

If the decision is overturned there should absolutely be civil disorder.

It shouldn't be randomly smashing up shops though, it needs to be targeted directly at the people who caused it.

But we are still a long way from that and that sort of behaviour should always be a last resort, a nuclear option.

I dislike Farage and Cameron as much as the next guy but calling for violence is a bit much, Matt.

• Like 2

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

I dislike Farage and Cameron as much as the next guy but calling for violence is a bit much, Matt.

Saw a clip of Farage the other day (maybe yesterday?) saying to an audience at some kind of talk that he'll be the first to pick up a rifle if Brexit is avoided/cancelled.

Madness.

3 hours ago, MattP said:

You can be assured this hospital visit won't be making headlines on the BBC.

Precisely, the BBC need to have a long hard look at themselves, since 2016 impartiality seems to have deserted them. And you could argue is doing nothing to dampen the toxicity currently being witnessed. I realise people need to be informed, but take the Hull MP ? Squaring up to Dominic Cummings, and his inflammatory remarks, was it absolutely necessary to give that air time. Also the father confronting Boris in the hospital, they were lapping that up just two examples there have been so many.

Edited by The Guvnor

1 minute ago, The Guvnor said:

Precisely, the BBC need to have a long hard look at themselves, since 2016 impartiality seems to have deserted them. And you could argue is doing nothing to dampen the toxicity currently being witnessed. I realise people need to be informed, but take the Hull MP ? Squaring up to Dominic Cummings, and his inflammatory remarks, was it absolutely necessary to give that air time. Also the father confronting Boris in the hospital, they were lapping that up just two examples there have been so many.

Speaking for myself here, but a lot of people should be challenging Dominic Cummings as he is the very image of the Us v Them polarisation that is poisoning politics in the UK right now.

WRT the Beeb, I'm repeating myself here but they seem to cop flak from both sides about bias, which indicates they are about where they should be as an impartial broadcaster.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Saw a clip of Farage the other day (maybe yesterday?) saying to an audience at some kind of talk that he'll be the first to pick up a rifle if Brexit is avoided/cancelled.

Madness.

I think you'll find this was if Brexit was cancelled he would then have more 'free time' to enjoy his hobby of clay pigeon shooting.

• Haha 1

With regards to the bad language used in parliament recently, I think we can all agree hardly anybody is innocent in this, and I think what disappointed me most was Boris' reaction. I don't know how McDonnell or others reacted when challenged on the things they said, or even if they were, but when directly confronted over it he dismissed it as "humbug" and waved away the fears by saying "get Brexit done". Sometimes it's time to be the bigger man. Boris would have won a lot of respect had he stood there, acknowledged the point, made the point nobody was innocent in all this, but as prime minister he would take the lead and ask his fellow mps to follow suit in toning it down a bit, and we'd draw a line under it. All the whataboutery is pointless, it helps nothing. It makes none of it right. Boris isn't justified because McDonnell said something years ago and Visa versa, it's all wrong.

So with the toxic language in mind, people expressing fears about the wording used and threats from all sides against mps and campaigners, it's no surprise the see everyone favourite milkshake magnet come out with this.

Now I'm sure he didn't mean it literally, but in the current climate, put some thought into your words Nigel please. Police are investigating apparently, I'm assuming as it may be seen as inciting violence.

• Like 1

Some interesting tactics upcoming re a possible vote of no confidence 

The govt briefings are that a ‘legal wording’ re backstop change will be provided to barnier after the Tory conference 

thats late in the week

suddenly we see the SNP talking about a vote of no confidence this week to remove boris and put Jezza in as temp PM.

We know the SNP are desperate to revoke article 50 (as are the Lib Dem’s) - the thought that the govt might get a deal done seems to have accelerated things - corbyn presumably can’t resist the chance to get his feet under the table in no 10 so would go along with this - however badly him then being the one to ask the EU for the benn extension will go down with his northern voters 

Corbyn is in a corner on this - he can’t take the risk that boris may get a deal done - however unlikely that sounds 

so he probably needs to go along with the vote of no confidence now 

meanwhile ‘Rome still burns’ .........

Still no apology from Bojo on Marr this morning.  No backing down on calling it the surrender bill.  As you were.

Away from Brexit, Bojo promises new hospitals springing up all over the UK, 20k police officers, more funding in schools - why didn't any of this happen under May?  What's his strategy for getting this done?  

• Haha 1