Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
isaidno

FA Cup 2019/2020

5 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

About as possible as Newcastle losing at home to Rochdale I reckon. Tranmere at home to Watford was, and still is, the best chance of a shock IMO, I'll give you that.

Same Rochdale that took Man Utd to extra time earlier this season. I wouldn't put money on it but it would be very Newcastle to cock up at home to them

10 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Couldn't they have just played it on Saturday 25th and then rearranged the fifth round tie for a later day?

What if the 4th round tie then needs a replay? It's a knock on effect. As I said above, replays need to be scrapped to reduce some congestion in the fixture calendar.

11 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Good result for Cov again, Robins continuing to do so well there, but the fact they’ve now got Birmingham is funny. Even more so if it ends a draw.

I said when the draw was made, why don't the two clubs sit together and agree that they each get half the ground for the fans and that they play ET/penalties if the game is a draw. I don't think either of them want a replay at the same venue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

It's time they scrapped all replays, certainly from Round 3 onwards.

Replays can often have huge financial benefits for lower/non-league clubs. Sometimes they're a pain, but those players fully earn the right to get a second crack at bigger teams. If bigger clubs don't want the hassle of an extra game, then frankly they should take the competition a little more seriously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

What if the 4th round tie then needs a replay? It's a knock on effect. As I said above, replays need to be scrapped to reduce some congestion in the fixture calendar.

Fa Cup replays are not the reason for fixture congestion. They are a huge part of the game, especially for lower league teams. The finances Burton Albion received from getting a replay with Manchester United were huge for a club like them.

If you’re concerned about fixture congestion the biggest problem is the increasing number of European games.

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

So Bluenoses will have the unusual experience of being away fans in their own stadium. 

Some Blues fans making quips about "where are the decent away pubs at St Andrews" and "can we sing Birmingham's a shithole, I wanna go home"

:D

problem is the pubs they drink in are probably home fans only :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Know what you mean, but it's quite sad as well (despite being Leicester's, geographically, closest rivals).

Their owners have been poor ever since they moved to The Ricoh Arena, whilst we've achieved a lot of success. It could've been us in their shoes, if things didn't go our way in terms of club leadership.

I was on about finding the fact they drew Birmingham funny, out of every other club possible, not how the club is run. I wouldn't wish that on any sets of fans and what they've put up with in recent years, moving to Northampton and then to Birmngham as well as relegation to tier 4, has been awful for them. They are still our rivals, I enjoy playing them, and as I said before Robins is doing an unbelivable job there.

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

So Bluenoses will have the unusual experience of being away fans in their own stadium. 

Some Blues fans making quips about "where are the decent away pubs at St Andrews" and "can we sing Birmingham's a shithole, I wanna go home"

:D

You've got the dim-witted Villa fans saying it's an embarrassment.

Really? Blues getting additional rent to play at their home ground, plus 50% of gate receipts unlike a league game and no travel. That's without knowing if the lease they have with Cov which may state a percentage of gate receipts go to Brum. 

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Replays can often have huge financial benefits for lower/non-league clubs. Sometimes they're a pain, but those players fully earn the right to get a second crack at bigger teams. If bigger clubs don't want the hassle of an extra game, then frankly they should take the competition a little more seriously.

Increase the prize money for lower league teams. Give them the option to reverse a fixture if they think they will make more money. Replays are just daft in the grand scheme of things. If money is the issue, make some changes to how smaller clubs get paid.

You could split the prize money so that lower teams get a lot more money than the PL teams for reaching the same round. People are moaning about too many fixtures but don't want to remove games. The league cup could be changed as well. For starters, remove the 2 legged semi finals and have them played at neutral grounds (isn't that what they did in the "olden" days?).

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Increase the prize money for lower league teams. Give them the option to reverse a fixture if they think they will make more money. Replays are just daft in the grand scheme of things. If money is the issue, make some changes to how smaller clubs get paid.

You could split the prize money so that lower teams get a lot more money than the PL teams for reaching the same round. People are moaning about too many fixtures but don't want to remove games. The league cup could be changed as well. For starters, remove the 2 legged semi finals and have them played at neutral grounds (isn't that what they did in the "olden" days?).

No, they've never done that in the League Cup. Plus, expecting tens of thousands of fans to descend on a neutral city in midweek is insane from a logistical point of view. No police force in the country would countenance it for a start. I'd personally like to see the League Cup regionalised up to probably the quarter final stages though, more local derbies creating interest and easier travel for away fans on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Giving lower league teams the option to reverse a fixture just makes a mockery of the whole competition, although I agree prize money should be upped for lower teams. As I've said before, if people are moaning about too many games then maybe the clubs they support should take the whole thing more seriously instead of putting out sides capable of being held to a draw by inferior teams. They only have themselves to blame at the end of the day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

No, they've never done that in the League Cup. Plus, expecting tens of thousands of fans to descend on a neutral city in midweek is insane from a logistical point of view. No police force in the country would countenance it for a start. I'd personally like to see the League Cup regionalised up to probably the quarter final stages though, more local derbies creating interest and easier travel for away fans on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Giving lower league teams the option to reverse a fixture just makes a mockery of the whole competition, although I agree prize money should be upped for lower teams. As I've said before, if people are moaning about too many games then maybe the clubs they support should take the whole thing more seriously instead of putting out sides capable of being held to a draw by inferior teams. They only have themselves to blame at the end of the day.

Must have mixed that up with the FA Cup then.

Newcastle found out the hard way how fixture pile up is killing them (at the expense of us). The whole season needs to be planned better to ensure that worst case scenarios are dealt with. No team should play 3 games in a week at any point.

9 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Must have mixed that up with the FA Cup then.

Newcastle found out the hard way how fixture pile up is killing them (at the expense of us). The whole season needs to be planned better to ensure that worst case scenarios are dealt with. No team should play 3 games in a week at any point.

Agree season should be planned better, potentially even extended. Too many games over a small period.

I don't think a draw away from home at a lower league side is a bad result though. Draw at Spotland, back to St James' where it's more comfortable.

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Agree season should be planned better, potentially even extended. Too many games over a small period.

I don't think a draw away from home at a lower league side is a bad result though. Draw at Spotland, back to St James' where it's more comfortable.

Sorry, was referring to all the PL games before playing us where they basically played the same starting XI over and over. 4 injuries by HT against us and down to 10 men.

For me scrapping replays would just been done to look after the so called top six, making sure they have less games to deal with. For lower league clubs, this maybe there own chance of glory. The income they could get from a replay could set them up big time for the future and potiental in some clubs case save them from going bust. If you want to avoid replays then send you best squad to do the job, instead of fielding weakened sides. 

If the want to make the Fa Cup more important for some clubs, then the winners should automatically qualify for the champions league and perhaps instead of a top four in the premier league, have just a top three. Unless of course someone whose already in the top three wins the Fa Cup. 

Another interesting idea I have suggested before some leagues take one on the cup competions abroad, imagine say the semi finals we look to play somewhere in europe.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

And that is a prime example of how ridiculous the new handball rule is. No way could Jiminez have done anything about that hitting his hand, and it would never have been a penalty against Maguire.

It's the 2nd part I get annoyed by.

• Like 1