Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

The Bristol Rovers home match 2008

42 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

That league 1 season was really quite bizzare. We only had to turn up to win most games. Hereford at home was litterally men against boys we won at a canter.

From memory they didnt have a shot at goal or even a foray into our half that day.

We won 2-1!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, smitha said:

I agree to a point about the local press, although he did not talk to radio Leicester right up to when he left. I know they have made their peace since but players still don't talk to radio Leicester to this day because of it and shows the respect they had for him. As a supporter I would like to here from the manager and players after a game it does pi** me off that no player talks to the local radio station.

He was available to talk to Radio Leicester, his issue was with one person, as has been widely documented.

RL would have 1 or 2 other employees at games but they chose not to get them to interview Nigel instead.

RL lost out on interviews - especially during the Great Escape run - but they took the view that they wouldn't be dictated to.

I think they handled it poorly but it was their call.

It'll be five years in December (Liverpool at home, the FOAD game, the cut throat gesture etc) since the players made their stand.

Not sure if their stance was the same as Nigel's or a blanket RL ban. I think it was the former but could be wrong.

All very messy and could've been avoided IMHO.

Then again there are many outlets to get interviews these days so fans haven't lost out that much.

• Like 2

On 01/10/2019 at 19:40, Paninistickers said:

Tbh, I don't like anyone to associate us with league one. It was a freak one off season in 125 years of history so seems a bit off that we are a club who've 'risen through the leagues'

League one is more relevant for shithouse clubs like forest, who've spent years down there

I don't agree at all. Our season in League 1 taught the club a lot about humility. That is something we still carry with us today, especially, I believe among a great many of our fans, but also at the very top of the club.

As well as this humility the fact that we had only recently been in League 1 made our triumph of winning the Premier League even more special. In fact, as one newspaper put it the day after we were given the trophy, the difference between our win and a side like Chelsea winning was that our achievement was one of wonder. I don't think anyone in the stadium that day would disagree with that sentiment. Winning was all the more sweeter because of where we had come from and that season in League 1 is an important part of that and thus an important part of our history. It gave us the breathing space needed at the time to reinvigorate the club from top to bottom, from the stands to the dressing room, and in so doing laid the foundation for what was to follow.

• Like 3

On that afternoon of the match against Bristol Rovers I was in my workshop in my back garden fibreglassing a giant model. I can't remember whether it was the charging bull or the dragon but I live in Somerset and I was listening to the match on local radio. Proper Gashead country! As the first goal went in I thought 'Here we go again' and carried on glassing. Then there was the equaliser and it was clear that the tables had turned for the players. My neighbour said that when I work in there he can hear the soft splat-splat-splat of my brush on the liquid resin. That afternoon there was the usual splat-splat-splat and then he heard a loud cheer - and then another.

He doesn't support the Gas!!!

14 year old me went with my two best mates, one supports the gas. i had a lovely time. think i got sloshed and was sick in a bin at about half 10 at some halloween party in the night. steady away. 

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Same in Hinckley! 

2 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

In Coalville on terrestrial TV you only get Midlands Today, so we knew all about Villa, Blues, WBA and Walsall 😂

1980s Oadby was very much a Central west territory. Bob Warman and Bob Hall.

strangely, with a fair wind and a house towards the top of a small hill, a mate of mine could even pick up a grainy Anglia. I still remember the excitement of him picking up Anglia highlights of a 0-0 draw of ours at Portman Road. Bizarrely, I even remember him naming the commentator - Gerry Harrison.

• Haha 1

On 01/10/2019 at 20:30, SystonFox said:

Bristol city in the champo too when wag horn smashed a last minute winner was CLASS. Love all the games against Brizzle

As @The Year Of The Fox has alluded to, scenes when that went in, was in SK3, perfect spot to watch Waggy smash it in!

I remember me and my mate were purring about how we'd just made an ex-England goalkeeper in David James look a mug. That was the badge of honour for us at the time. With the greatest of respect, I'm glad that isn't something I need to cling to these days. lol

• Like 1