Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

The Bristol Rovers home match 2008

Although I agree with the OP that it was an important result, for me are fortunes changed once Nigel Pearson was appointed manager, he set the foundations for where we are now, it was crazy that we let him leave but credit to the owners for reappointing him. Although Nigel had an odd relationship with the press there is no doubt that players and fans had great respect for him. We now have a top notch manager who will take us to new heights, but without the foundations laid the current place we find ourselves in would have only been a dream.:scarf:

2 minutes ago, smitha said:

Although I agree with the OP that it was an important result, for me are fortunes changed once Nigel Pearson was appointed manager, he set the foundations for where we are now, it was crazy that we let him leave but credit to the owners for reappointing him. Although Nigel had an odd relationship with the press there is no doubt that players and fans had great respect for him. We now have a top notch manager who will take us to new heights, but without the foundations laid the current place we find ourselves in would have only been a dream.:scarf:

Look at it this way. Without Sven we wouldn’t have signed Kasper, or Nuge 😎

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

2 hours ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Sorry not got a link

but this is the game when we started back on the up.  1-0 down in League One with a minute left, then two quick fire goals bought us a much needed win.  We then went on an unbeaten run to secure the League One title, had the Thai takeover and the rest is history... what an important result that was 

5 mins to go in this game should be the point where the film about our title win starts. Let’s call the movie 5000-1. Your post is a perfect moment for  showing us at our lowest ebb; and how far we had to travel to achieve the unbelievable.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Bristol city in the champo too when wag horn smashed a last minute winner was CLASS. Love all the games against Brizzle

Especially the one at Ashton Gate when the Bristol City fans were still on their feet celebrating a very late winner (they thought) and giving us the big 'un only for Lloyd Dyer to pop up with an equalizer straight from the restart. 

• Like 3

Remember us playing bristol rovers first home game of the season when I was a kid, this was when teams didn’t come out together. That summer had seen a new kit  and tracksuit launched. With the crowd basking in the sun and full of eager anticipating for the season ahead bristol rovers ran onto the pitch in a similar tracksuit and got a full on applause from the home crowd which suddenly and amusingly stopped after several seconds when people realised their mistake. lol 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Kerrea Gilbert killin' it at right back

He did an interview with us where he was asked a question about the opposition being a good team and he said "don't care, cos we're better" or something like that.

LAD :pearson:

15 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Just saying winning it is what would be expected of us really.

Sunderland were expected to come straight back up from the Championship.

Sunderland were then expected to come straight back up from League 1.

They are still in League 1.

Stock were expected to come back up from the Championship. They are bottom of the Championship with no wins.

I'm not saying there wasn't an expectation to bounce back. But stranger things happen and if stuck it becomes increasingly hard to come back from. There is no denying this, whilst somewhat expected, was a huge test of this football club and set the precedent for what followed.

5 minutes ago, Yes N'Didi said:

Sunderland were expected to come straight back up from the Championship.

Sunderland were then expected to come straight back up from League 1.

They are still in League 1.

Stock were expected to come back up from the Championship. They are bottom of the Championship with no wins.

I'm not saying there wasn't an expectation to bounce back. But stranger things happen and if stuck it becomes increasingly hard to come back from. There is no denying this, whilst somewhat expected, was a huge test of this football club and set the precedent for what followed.

Yes we could have ended up like Coventry, Bolton, Charlton etc but that was our only season in he 3rd Tier. Might sound arrogant I'll admit but you would at least expect to be promoted first time around.  

Couldn't have gone any better for us all the same. Spent the last few weeks of 2007-08 dreading the despair or relegation to League One.(Watching Barnsley-Sheffield Wednesday on a Monday hoping for a favour!). It turned out to be a great thing for us in the long run.

15 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Just googled him to make sure I was right.

Indeed I was 

Recently joined Northampton, from.... Bury! 

Where he joined Bury from Northampton 😂

16 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Neither do I but the Howard's goal against Leeds that virtually sealed promotion was a great starting point. The years of disappointments going back to wycombe in 2001 and late goals against us banished. Bliss. 

Did what we expected but it was a great cathartic moment. One of our iconic moments even now no question. 

I remember watching it in the pub (in Leeds) as I couldn’t make it to the game. Knowing 3pts was going to just about do it for us. Up steps big Stevie Howard. 

IIRC, they still had a chance of automatic promotion, which made the win even sweeter for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I remember watching it in the pub (in Leeds) as I couldn’t make it to the game. Knowing 3pts was going to just about do it for us. Up steps big Stevie Howard. 

IIRC, they still had a chance of automatic promotion, which made the win even sweeter for me. 

I was in Portugal. Was the only one in a bar and leapt around in a frenzy after Howard's goal. 

Happened on Easter Monday. I've always referred to the day as Leicester's Easter Rising!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Tbh, I don't like anyone to associate us with league one. It was a freak one off season in 125 years of history so seems a bit off that we are a club who've 'risen through the leagues'

League one is more relevant for shithouse clubs like forest, who've spent years down there

We cannot claim that season in league 1 was a one off and not accept the other end of the spectrum might be too!.lets just enjoy the ups and downs the club have given us over the years and hope from this moment onwards we have more ups than downs.

20 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Tbh, I don't like anyone to associate us with league one. It was a freak one off season in 125 years of history so seems a bit off that we are a club who've 'risen through the leagues'

League one is more relevant for shithouse clubs like forest, who've spent years down there

The title win you mean?

18 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You won't find many of the Midlands press pack saying too much bad stuff about Nigel.

It was the more London-based hacks who didn't "get" him.

The strong dressing room he and Shakespeare built - and some astute recruitment from Walsh snr - should never be forgotten.

It should start when we go into administration ... "The darkest hour (*) but they came back from this" ... fast forward to relegation at Stoke ... "Is this one setback too many for the freefalling Foxes?"

(*) Our darkest hour at that point.

I agree to a point about the local press, although he did not talk to radio Leicester right up to when he left. I know they have made their peace since but players still don't talk to radio Leicester to this day because of it and shows the respect they had for him. As a supporter I would like to here from the manager and players after a game it does pi** me off that no player talks to the local radio station.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You won't find many of the Midlands press pack saying too much bad stuff about Nigel.

It was the more London-based hacks who didn't "get" him.

The strong dressing room he and Shakespeare built - and some astute recruitment from Walsh snr - should never be forgotten.

It should start when we go into administration ... "The darkest hour (*) but they came back from this" ... fast forward to relegation at Stoke ... "Is this one setback too many for the freefalling Foxes?"

(*) Our darkest hour at that point.

I’ll go with your ideas! Still can’t believe where we have come from and where we are!