Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Sports Grounds/Stadiums you've been to

10 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The top two seem the obvious ones. I was under the impression the new WA stadium isn't that well liked compared to the WACA?

It is a stunning "modern" stadium... not a cricket ground, the WACA is more of a traditionalists ground

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Any of the lads who've done Ashes Tests in Australia, which ground would be top of your list over there and why?

I probably would’ve said Adelaide pre-redevelopment but I think its a twinned AFL ground now. MCG is the Boxing Day venue but looks bowlish. I’d say Sydney, purely from a cricketing perspective. Perth is miles away lol  The Gabba is is Queensland so it’s an automatic no. It’s a shame Hobart isn’t used. 

Edited by Bobby Hundreds
  • Thanks 1

Non football :

Boxing: 

Grandby Halls

Alexandra Palace

Wembley Arena

Paris ( ? ) 

Stafford ( ? ) 

Leeds, First Direct Arena

York Hall

Copper Box

Millennium Stadium 

Cricket:

Cape Town, SA

Port Elizabeth, SA

Bridgetown, Barbados 

Harare, Zimbabwe 

Went FC United of Manchester earlier, really enjoyable. Helped they won 7-0 lol but if you enjoy fan culture and grass roots movements then it's superb - if the English football money bubble ever bursts. they've set the standard of what to do. Atmosphere wise - it was loads better than Old Trafford the other month, great local beer in the ground, cheap tickets and the sense of community that's missing at most professional clubs in the country.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

Went FC United of Manchester earlier, really enjoyable. Helped they won 7-0 lol but if you enjoy fan culture and grass roots movements then it's superb - if the English football money bubble ever bursts. they've set the standard of what to do. Atmosphere wise - it was loads better than Old Trafford the other month, great local beer in the ground, cheap tickets and the sense of community that's missing at most professional clubs in the country.

...FCUM should sign that maguire lad...

Six nations Rugby at Murrayfield and Cardiff. Absolutely love it at both. English accent just makes it that bit edgier too. 

Olympic Athletics London.

Done an empty Berlin Olympic stadium in the mid nineties. £2 to get in, totally undeveloped (at the time) since the Nazi 1936 event - had the run of the place. Ran round the track, played imaginary football on the pitch, practiced celebrations, reenacted lighting the Olympic flame and sat in Hitler's seat. 

Did a stadium tour at Fenway Park, Boston.

15 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

Non football :

Boxing: 

Grandby Halls

Alexandra Palace

Wembley Arena

Paris ( ? ) 

Stafford ( ? ) 

Leeds, First Direct Arena

York Hall

Copper Box

Millennium Stadium 

Cricket:

Cape Town, SA

Port Elizabeth, SA

Bridgetown, Barbados 

Harare, Zimbabwe 

Was Stafford and Wembley Arena for the Tony Sibson fights? Do you go back that far?

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Was Stafford and Wembley Arena for the Tony Sibson fights? Do you go back that far?

Yes ! Ally Pally & Paris too. Was a huge Sibbo fan. Saw him a few times at obscure venues in London. Train down midweek, in my teens. I remember once being miles from  St Pancras, as it was after midnight public transport had stopped. I met 4 older geezers from Leicester. They decided to break into a builders van and drive to the train station ! I just laid in the back, on top of bags of cement & sand as we drive about 5 miles to St Pancras ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STEVIE B said:

Yes ! Ally Pally & Paris too. Was a huge Sibbo fan. Saw him a few times at obscure venues in London. Train down midweek, in my teens. I remember once being miles from  St Pancras, as it was after midnight public transport had stopped. I met 4 older geezers from Leicester. They decided to break into a builders van and drive to the train station ! I just laid in the back, on top of bags of cement & sand as we drive about 5 miles to St Pancras ! 

Wasn't Stafford town hall the night it kicked off big time with Londoners following a young Nigel Benn on the undercard?

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Wasn't Stafford town hall the night it kicked off big time with Londoners following a young Nigel Benn on the undercard?

It was. I think smoke bombs were thrown too. It was far worse when Sibbo fought Mark Kaylor at Wembley Arena. Kaylor was a West Ham fan, he always wore club colours, he had a huge Hammers following ( many ICF ). Sibson was always well supported. The Arena was sold out, over 10,000. Fights were breaking out constantly. It was pretty scary ! 

1 hour ago, STEVIE B said:

It was. I think smoke bombs were thrown too. It was far worse when Sibbo fought Mark Kaylor at Wembley Arena. Kaylor was a West Ham fan, he always wore club colours, he had a huge Hammers following ( many ICF ). Sibson was always well supported. The Arena was sold out, over 10,000. Fights were breaking out constantly. It was pretty scary ! 

I watches on YouTube the Sibbo Minter fight a few months back at Wembley arena. Smoke filled hall. Harry Carpenter and the fight filmed by just one camera. 

Brilliantly atmospheric

Overseas:

Parc Des Princes

Nou Camp

Aviva Stadium

Stadio Olimpico, Rome

Westfalenstadion, Dortmund

Laugardalsvollur, Reykjavik

UK:

Wembley

Millennium Stadium

Twickenham

Lords

Old Trafford 

Then loads of other league grounds. 

Looking at the list, I'm really quite privileged. 

On the wishlist:

La Bombanera and Estadio Monumental, Buenos Aires

San Siro

Cricket grounds in Australia

Newlands, Cape Town

Ellis Park, JoBurg

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I watches on YouTube the Sibbo Minter fight a few months back at Wembley arena. Smoke filled hall. Harry Carpenter and the fight filmed by just one camera. 

Brilliantly atmospheric

That’s a difficult fight to find. Minter had sponsorship ( Daf Trucks I think ) on his shorts, which at the time was banned. So one one of Sibson’s best wins was never screened. 

Edited by STEVIE B
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Will be visiting Prague this weekend. We plan a visit to Sparta v Bohemians.

Anyone been to a czech game? We might sit in the away end (if it isn't sold out).

Been to Sparta's ground but not a match.The tram drop's you right out side.Enjoy Prague brilliant city and one that is top of my list to return to!Pretty sure it won't be sold out get off the tram at Letna,it's a terminus so should stop anyway.

Edited by PAULCFC

On 08/10/2019 at 21:16, Nalis said:

On the theme of the grounds thread with City in the Leicester forum, what (and how many) grounds /stadiums have been to regarding any sports? Any notable ones for you?

Rules are probably actually watching a match at the stadium and probably at any semi-professional level at level, bar top level amateur sports such as Gaelic hurling and Gaelic football.

Possibly too many for a list but been to probably around a hundred covering a range of sports. Outside of football, Millenium Stadium and Croke Park are impressive. As a snooker geek I absolutely loved the Crucible, difficult to describe but you could feel the atmosphere despite no crowd noise on shots.

Only done the Tour of Croke Park. But I'd love to go see a match there as well. Amazing place.

Have been in Dublin the weekend of the all Ireland Hurling final. What a superb occasion to have hit. Would have loved to have been able to go. But tickets are like gold dust.

Apart from that think all of mine are football related.

Bucket list to do tho includes.

Camp Nou

Hard Rock Stadium 

Mercedes Benz Atlanta, purely for how it looks.

I'd also like to take in some basket ball at Maddison Square Garden as well.

Past that maybe one day I'll get to south America for some football.

Outside of watching Leicester away, been to games at:

Wembley

Griffin Park

DW Stadium

Signal Iduna Park (Dortmund)
HDI Arena (Hannover)

Stade Pierre Mauroy (Lille)

Felix Bollaert (Lens)

Other Sports:
Principality Stadium (Speedway Grand Prix) + most English Speedway tracks.
Staples Center (Ice Hockey)

Manchester Arena (Boxing)

Viajas Arena (Basketball)

Alexandra Palace, Birmingham and Nottingham (Darts)

Done tours of Berlin Olympic Stadium, Camp Nou, Santiago Bernabeu, San Siro, Aviva Stadium and Petco Park (San Diego Padres), 

Going to Madison Square Garden and Edgbaston next year, but would love to tick off Twickenham, Lord's, Wimbledon and seeing the Ashes in Australia.

On 21/10/2019 at 21:13, PAULCFC said:

Been to Sparta's ground but not a match.The tram drop's you right out side.Enjoy Prague brilliant city and one that is top of my list to return to!Pretty sure it won't be sold out get off the tram at Letna,it's a terminus so should stop anyway.

Didnt go in the end. 6pints before midday (rugby) after being out till 5am put an end to any plans!

However did come across this in a loo of a bar...

20191026_142022.jpg

Filbert Street

KP Stadium

Stamford Bridge

Old Trafford

Etihad

Anfield

Paddock Pass at Silverstone - This was for BTCC, had a friend who knew one of the drivers so we blagged paddock passes.

New Wembley

Yankee Stadium

Allianz Arena - Got family in Munich, went to visit them and we got tickets to see Bayern stuff FC Paderborn

Centre Court, Wimbledon - Originally went for a ground pass but Mrs won tickets to Ladies final... you were sitting in spitting distance to the Royal Box.

Edited by Rusko187

15 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Filbert Street

KP Stadium

Stamford Bridge

Old Trafford

Etihad

Anfield

Paddock Pass at Silverstone - This was for BTCC, had a friend who knew one of the drivers so we blagged paddock passes.

New Wembley

Yankee Stadium

Allianz Arena - Got family in Munich, went to visit them and we got tickets to see Bayern stuff FC Paderborn

Centre Court, Wimbledon - Originally went for a ground pass but Mrs won tickets to Ladies final... you were sitting in spitting distance to the Royal Box.

hope you tested that theory out 

Cricket grounds:

Grace Road

MCG (AFL)

Eden Gardens, Calcutta 

Fatorda Stadium, Goa (football)

Rugby grounds:

Welford Road

Twickenham

Millennium stadium

Lansdowne Road

Parc des Princes

Stradey Park, Llanelli

Heywood Road, Sale

Headingley

Exeter

Football grounds:

Filbert street

KP 

Wembley (old and new)

St James Park

Anfield

Turf Moor

Etihad

Villa Park

Hillsborough (the 7-1 game mentioned in the worst defeats thread)

Ricoh

Vicente Calderon

San Mames,  Bilbao 

Madejski stadium (rugby)

City Ground (rugby)

George Street, Enderby (England v Wales Youth international, featuring a very young Mark Hughes)

Basketball:

Granby Halls!

Wembley Arena

Australia...

Adelaide Oval

SCG

MCG

WACA

Hindmarsh Stadium (Played there too)

a few other arenas for basketball etc

USA

AT&T Park(?) San Fran