Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Not to Leicester City. 

Half of Europe's biggest clubs want him. 

True. But if you actually look at the context, things are brighter than they seem. He left La Masia at 18 or so when it was clear that he wouldn't be getting the gametime he needed for development, and it seems like that need to prioritise development and gametime is paramount for him, which in my opinion rules out a lot of clubs like Manchester Utd which are full of potential pitfalls for a young player, and puts ones like ours which are proven to be excellent places for young players to develop ahead in the race. 

If you assume that he wants to go to the PL or La Liga (an ok assumption to make, as it's been reported that he rates those two leagues better as destinations) all of a sudden I think we look like top candidates to sign him. We're extremely strong candidates for Champions League football, with ambitious ownership, and can give him all the gametime he needs. Plenty of "big" clubs in both leagues (Valencia, Arsenal, Spurs, Sevilla, Atletico) are either in disarray at the moment or simply do not have the money to sign him. 

I've thought long and hard about it, and honestly couldn't name you a club that's a clear tier above ours for him to join given he prioritises gametime and development. Maybe Inter would give him gametime? But they're in Serie A. Maybe Atletico, but there's been reports that their wage bill can't handle any new signings. Possibly Real Madrid but they can just recall Odegaard who's doing incredibly well and he's already playing La Liga football.

Edited by Nicolo Barella
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Not to Leicester City. 

Half of Europe's biggest clubs want him. 

He's playing in Croatia so we are a definite step up.

He would come here unless he has better options. According to the press he has plenty of big team suitors but if those admirers didn't turn into hard offers then he would certainly consider a move here.

51 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

True. But if you actually look at the context, things are brighter than they seem. He left La Masia at 18 or so when it was clear that he wouldn't be getting the gametime he needed for development, and it seems like that need to prioritise development and gametime is paramount for him, which in my opinion rules out a lot of clubs like Manchester Utd which are full of potential pitfalls for a young player, and puts ones like ours which are proven to be excellent places for young players to develop ahead in the race. 

If you assume that he wants to go to the PL or La Liga (an ok assumption to make, as it's been reported that he rates those two leagues better as destinations) all of a sudden I think we look like top candidates to sign him. We're extremely strong candidates for Champions League football, with ambitious ownership, and can give him all the gametime he needs. Plenty of "big" clubs in both leagues (Valencia, Arsenal, Spurs, Sevilla, Atletico) are either in disarray at the moment or simply do not have the money to sign him. 

I've thought long and hard about it, and honestly couldn't name you a club that's a clear tier above ours for him to join given he prioritises gametime and development. Maybe Inter would give him gametime? But they're in Serie A. Maybe Atletico, but there's been reports that their wage bill can't handle any new signings. Possibly Real Madrid but they can just recall Odegaard who's doing incredibly well and he's already playing La Liga football.

My only short term worry is someone has to play out of position either him or Maddison which isn't ideal.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My only short term worry is someone has to play out of position either him or Maddison which isn't ideal.

Honestly Olmo is incredibly versatile and I wouldn't be worried about playing him as a winger. He has starred centrally for U21s and Dinamo Zagreb, but as I alluded to earlier that's often because he has the most influence on a game when he plays centrally, so they stick him there because they want as much magic from him as possible.

He has all the tools for a winger, though, and has put in good performances there before, and if he had Rodgers coaching him I wouldn't be surprised if the wing became his best position (something that might be in his interests because the spanish midfield is insanely competitive).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Honestly Olmo is incredibly versatile and I wouldn't be worried about playing him as a winger. He has starred centrally for U21s and Dinamo Zagreb, but as I alluded to earlier that's often because he has the most influence on a game when he plays centrally, so they stick him there because they want as much magic from him as possible.

He has all the tools for a winger, though, and has put in good performances there before, and if he had Rodgers coaching him I wouldn't be surprised if the wing became his best position (something that might be in his interests because the spanish midfield is insanely competitive).

I'm a big fan, if he's genuinely attainable then I would go all out for him, it's just a minor concern given we are possibly only a top level winger away from being able to win the Prem again.

• Like 1

I get everyone's enthusiasm and I think if we FINISH top 4 then I'm confident we'll do a much, much better job taking advantage of being in the champions league when we enter the transfer market this year. 

But as exciting as we are at the moment, I think it's naive to be expecting players that will expect CL football to agree to come here in January before we've secured anything. 

Olmo is a player that will expect to be in the CL next year. 

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I get everyone's enthusiasm and I think if we FINISH top 4 then I'm confident we'll do a much, much better job taking advantage of being in the champions league when we enter the transfer market this year. 

But as exciting as we are at the moment, I think it's naive to be expecting players that will expect CL football to agree to come here in January before we've secured anything. 

Prithee remove thine depressive humours from this Sybilline forum!

In all seriousness, I'm not expecting Olmo, just think he could be a possible target if everything goes right. Just like Tielemans seemed impossible.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 12:40, fuchsntf said:

How to improve....!!!

Ffs stop looking for other names,just for the sake of it.... "Be careful what you wish for'

We have a group of players,including experienced & wanna-bes fringe players who have learnt und understand the "Leicester way"

£20-50 mill doesnt Buy into that...Yes I am sure there is Somebody out there at those prices,that Leicester will be taking a look at,but more

Importantly we will be looking at the fit....

We have at the Moment the 12th 13th 14th 15th  man sorted......A rekindled ..Gray, the Proven Praet,the known assets of Choudry,the flexible Albrighton.

Rodgers I am sure has Set up Plans for..Nacho,Amartey,James,Benkovic,Leshabela,Justin  and a couple Academy-players  more, he reckons might be ready to

push forward by the end of the season...

Its the norm,that Leicester will have their Scouts & feelers out, I would rather sit back and wait and Enjoy Finding out,who the Next Player will be invited to

pull that fox on the shirt over his head..Chasing names before clubs own  intoduction,are false Dreams that often Leads to frustration.then invalid criticism....!!

People mention games without Vardy, they forget we won the league,where Vardy missed some games......Its these Open questions that makes it exciting, and Shows how all of is our we are developing und the playing staff are evolving....

For gods sake Barbara, have a snickers!

You're not tue same when you're hungry.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😘😘😘😘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Very much depends on how the top end of the table is looking mid-Jan as to whether we bring anyone in, I think. If the season carries on as it has done and the gap widens to say 12+ points, that's at least 4 games' worth of leeway and with the way we've been playing you could pretty safely assume we could see that out. Equally though things could level out a bit more as other teams get back on their feet (Utd looking a bit better recently, for instance) and if the gap is 'only' single-figures then you couldn't blame players for waiting til the summer before signing.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

You'd be hard pressed to join a club in the Prem in January that you can expect CL football from as most of them are the absolute fcukin pits this season.

54 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Go then, there are other leagues than this. 

Of course there are, but the bunce is here and many players prefer to join the Prem. That said, he will likely be open to a move back to Spain and maybe Atletico or Valencia would have the funds to buy him if he doesn't fancy going back to Barca and the potential lack of game time.

I think we'd have a good chance of getting him, the landscape is changing. Tielemans was a huge statement of intent and since we've gone on to challenge the top 4, I think it will make others consider it.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

These players have wives and girlfriends and the phrase ( "I'm not moving to f**king England , its always pissing down " in the native language) must occur quite often. Somethings are more important than the money.

20 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We have opened up a 9 point 'Champions League' gap. Realistically, given our GD, that's a 10 point gap (which shifts it from a 3 game to a 4 game gap).

We have the same number (12) of Prem fixtures before the January window closes as we have played so far. Things may get a lot clearer.