Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

On 14/11/2019 at 14:51, Col city fan said:

Genuinely wouldn’t go anywhere near Zaha. Simply don’t think he’s particularly good and would cost a lot of money.

I wouldn’t drop Barnes at present for Zaha. Genuinely.

Yeah some people won’t want him and some people will. I think Barnes has still a fair bit to learn but that will come with games, of course. 

Personally think Zaha is capable of winning a game on his own, Barnes not yet. 

• Like 1

On 15/11/2019 at 06:07, Les-TA-Jon said:

Also even if we finish top 4 this season, it doesn't mean we could automatically attract players that want CL. Yes, we'd have it for one season at least, but we wouldn't be able to guarantee it for future seasons. 

we’d need to keep our team together. if we did that i’m sure it would entice SOME. maybe not the messi types haha but maybe the thorgan hazards or few others mentioned.

I wouldn’t bring anyone in at all ...   perhaps give the changing rooms a lick of paint ....  and maybe stock up on some radox rock salts for the baths ...  but new players ..  nah ..  no need, especially in an inflated window only used by desperate teams ....    hello Manure !!  ...   hello The Gooners !!! ..  etc etc ....   :)

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I’m not arsed about what we spend on players, what matters is that they’re good enough. Slipping into the mentality that you have to spend big to get quality is why Man Utd and Arsenal are shit these days.

Yep. They'd both not have gone near Praet and funnily enough he'd walk into both sides.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yep. They'd both not have gone near Praet and funnily enough he'd walk into both sides.

It's funny you say that because he was the player I had in mind when I had that thought. Arsenal bought Torreira from Samp though and he's been one of their better signings over recent seasons, so they can do it but it's like they wilt under fan pressure.

Thinking about it, £72m (even if it's in instalments) for Pepe is outrageous - Lille finished 2nd last season and obviously have CL money coming in but Ligue 1 clubs don't have enough bargaining power to hold out for that realistically. Arsenal are just as incompetent as United but it's masked by lower spends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

It's funny you say that because he was the player I had in mind when I had that thought. Arsenal bought Torreira from Samp though and he's been one of their better signings over recent seasons, so they can do it but it's like they wilt under fan pressure.

Thinking about it, £72m (even if it's in instalments) for Pepe is outrageous - Lille finished 2nd last season and obviously have CL money coming in but Ligue 1 clubs don't have enough bargaining power to hold out for that realistically. Arsenal are just as incompetent as United but it's masked by lower spends.

I'd not swap Praet for Torreira to be honest. Think we've gotten the better deal there.

Pepe for £72mil was nonsensical. They've thrown a club record fee at a position that was probably about 3rd/4th in their current priorities, and somebody who while he has potential is hardly a proven top name. If they'd bought say Sancho for that you would say fair enough but Pepe was hardly an established enough player to throw a fee like that at, not for me anyway. He's not performed well nor does he look a good fit.

Arsenal have had 18 months since Wenger left and haven't actually solved any problems they had when he was there. It's quite funny. If we keep doing things properly we could come above them this year and next year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'd not swap Praet for Torreira to be honest. Think we've gotten the better deal there.

Pepe for £72mil was nonsensical. They've thrown a club record fee at a position that was probably about 3rd/4th in their current priorities, and somebody who while he has potential is hardly a proven top name. If they'd bought say Sancho for that you would say fair enough but Pepe was hardly an established enough player to throw a fee like that at, not for me anyway. He's not performed well nor does he look a good fit.

Arsenal have had 18 months since Wenger left and haven't actually solved any problems they had when he was there. It's quite funny. If we keep doing things properly we could come above them this year and next year.

I'd put money on it. They have deep issues with their chairman, board, recruitment and manager. The issues we'll have next year are more games due to European competition but after 16/17 you'd like to think us a club will have a better handle of why it panned out the way it did then. They have loads of high earners they can't shift, average defenders (although I do think Saliba is the real deal) and a very unbalanced midfield. They don't have the capital anymore to radically change their squad either so I think the outlook is very bleak for Arsenal. Even if they ditched Emery, the problems run a lot deeper.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Not sure if already suggested by I would like to see us go in for Mitrovic from Fulham. Don't know if he would bide his time being back up for Vardy though.

always considered him a bit of a melt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Honestly don't see the point in signing Redmond when we already have Gray. Largely accused of quite similar problems in their games. If we're going to buy a wide man, we need someone of real quality in my opinion - someone you can rely on to hit double figures for goals or a noticeable creative genius, admittedly that wouldn't come cheap. I'm talking your Ziyech type here.

If we aren't going to bring that in then just persist with what we have.

Absolutely this. Signing a Redmond type would in no way build on what we're doing here.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Langston said:

Absolutely this. Signing a Redmond type would in no way build on what we're doing here.

We already have four good but not top drawer wingers, we don't need another one which is Redmond to a tee. Redmond will be 26 in March and if you're not at the level you would want him to be at 26 then the chances are he will never be at that level. He has nearly 300 league games under his belt as well and nothing indicates he can become the player we want.

• Like 2

.. if we are still in contention for top 4 in Jan 2020  I would not bring anyone in as it may upset the clearly, well settled, dressing room for questionable benefit.

I appreciate we run the risk of injuries in some areas  but that football and in Brendan 'We Trust'.