Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

8 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Barnes is doing very well right now and is improving game by game.  Some of his play is sublime and he is getting crucial involvement in goals.

Gray is suddenly our game changer, stretching the game and setting up goals.  Look at his intelligent patient play and darting run to set up the first goal against arsenal.  Brendan has played a blinder here.

If we strengthen then it will be a centre back and utility attacker that we go for. Someone who can play on the wing or upfront.

Agreed.

I get why most people want a winger. That is the weakest area of the first XI. However, Barnes is improving all the while, Perez is still settling into the club and his new role, and Gray is much improved. Never thought I'd say it, but Gray could actually have a big future here, after all. Then you've got Kevin, as well.

I'd normally say that the best way to improve the squad is to buy better than you've already got and relegate existing first teamers to the bench. However, I really don't think the first team wants messing with at the moment. I wouldn't want to risk unsettling anyone at this moment in time. I think we should be looking to increase the squad depth, with an eye on the future and the likely European campaign.

I'd go for a backup centre-half, probably a younger player, and a young playmaker, also as backup. Even though we added Tielemans and Praet, we'll still be short of creativity in CM if either of them or Maddison is unavailable. Maybe a young versatile forward, as well.

17 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Nacho from Madrid

Bowen from Hull

Fraser from Bournmouth

....All out of contract in the summer so you would think they would all be available for relatively cheap. 

todays papers saying Fraser going Liverpool in jan 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikey_b said:

todays papers saying Fraser going Liverpool in jan 

Definitely would be putting my name in there if that's the case, or possibly even inquiring about Shaqiri if that's the case and he does go there. 

42 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

I think Shaquiri is waiting to be picked up from Liverpool, would be a great addition at the right price.

.. why do we keep coming back to this player? 

His temperament is suspect to say the least and would not fit in the squad we have at the moment. 

Could not believe he was picked up by Liverpool and should be nowhere near our team!!! 

2 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

For the first team, it would make sense to strengthen in the wide positions.

Having said that, it would be a shame in some ways because Barnes is a developing talent, Perez is improving and even Gray has looked more useful during his recent appearance off the bench.

For the squad, however, it's obvious that we need another centre-half if Benkovic isn't going to make the cut. Morgan has done an OK job but you can tell he'd struggle as a regular now if ever Evans/Soyuncu got injured for any length of time.

Have to agree, whenever Morgan comes on the pitch now I get more nervous. He never seems to be in front of the attacker anymore. Always seems to be trotting back with the ball long passed him. A few games ago we brought him on to shore up the last few minutes and we conceded. Can't remember who we were playing. 

24 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Agreed.

I get why most people want a winger. That is the weakest area of the first XI. However, Barnes is improving all the while, Perez is still settling into the club and his new role, and Gray is much improved. Never thought I'd say it, but Gray could actually have a big future here, after all. Then you've got Kevin, as well.

I'd normally say that the best way to improve the squad is to buy better than you've already got and relegate existing first teamers to the bench. However, I really don't think the first team wants messing with at the moment. I wouldn't want to risk unsettling anyone at this moment in time. I think we should be looking to increase the squad depth, with an eye on the future and the likely European campaign.

I'd go for a backup centre-half, probably a younger player, and a young playmaker, also as backup. Even though we added Tielemans and Praet, we'll still be short of creativity in CM if either of them or Maddison is unavailable. Maybe a young versatile forward, as well.

Agree about Barnes but his finishing seems to be going backwards. He is always trying to curl to the right hand corner. Every keeper knows it's coming and just adjust their feet to save. Would love to see what the finished article will look like

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

Agree about Barnes but his finishing seems to be going backwards. He is always trying to curl to the right hand corner. Every keeper knows it's coming and just adjust their feet to save. Would love to see what the finished article will look like

.. reminds you of someone!!! 

Demarai had the same need, to shoot this way and it became an obsession!! 

For a player predominantly right footed, cutting in from the left is, probably seen as the only realistic option to score. Gray became obsessed with this way of thinking and it no doubt has contributed to his lack of understanding in view of link up play, that we have seen from him before. 

Barnes may find playing on the right offers him greater options, but at least he has the sense to play the assist, unlike Gray. 

• Like 1

Whilst I think the wide attacking players is the "weakest" part of the team I'm more than happy to go with Perez settling in, the inexperienced but improving Barnes, Gray who may well be seeing the penny drop and the ever reliable Albrighton. January is not really the time to buy and unless we sell Gray or Albrighton then it's not worth upsetting the applecart unless an obvious upgrade becomes available.

The only position that concerns me is CB. It's dependent on if BR thinks Benkovic can be relied upon to stay fit and oust Morgan as third choice CB. If he doesn't believe Benkovic can do that then we probably need a CB sooner rather than later.

I'd be happy enough to sign no one in January assuming BR is happy with what he's got. I'm always up for a bit of value though if a good youngster becomes available at the right price. I think it will be a boring January window for us which probably is a good thing as it means BR is happy with his lot. 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Shaquiri would have been an option once but we have Tielmans now and he wouldn't swap the Liverpool bench for ours. With Gray and Praet we are pretty well covered in midfield and I personally think that Barnes is going to get better and better as the season goes on and become a top class wide man. However we can't expect Vardy to play every match even though he probably would want to so another striker is pretty essential . We have the two young men in the U23s and Iheanacho also young . A proven striker, even if he is in his late twenties or thirty would be keen to join us now I am sure. He could do the Ulloa job for us something that proved vital in the premiership winning season.

Edited by An Sionnach

25 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Shaquiri would have been an option once but we have Tielmans now and he wouldn't swap the Liverpool bench for ours. With Gray and Praet we are pretty well covered in midfield and I personally think that Barnes is going to get better and better as the season goes on and become a top class wide man. However we can't expect Vardy to play every match even though he probably would want to so another striker is pretty essential . We have the two young men in the U23s and Iheanacho also young . A proven striker, even if he is in his late twenties or thirty would be keen to join us now I am sure. He could do the Ulloa job for us something that proved vital in the premiership winning season.

Since when has Shaqiri ever played in central midfield?

• Like 3

Guest An Sionnach
28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Since when has Shaqiri ever played in central midfield?

Does it all the time for the Swiss.He can play right left and in the middle but we are well covered already in those areas.

Edited by An Sionnach

17 hours ago, Gerard said:

The only position that concerns me is CB. It's dependent on if BR thinks Benkovic can be relied upon to stay fit and oust Morgan as third choice CB. If he doesn't believe Benkovic can do that then we probably need a CB sooner rather than later.

Agreed that we do need another quality CB at some point, but Benkovic isn't the only other option we have. Amartey has been in full training with the first team (not sure how long for, but he's certainly in recent pics) and has been very succesful at CB for his national side in the past. Not a long-term solution of course, but it'd do as cover for a couple of months in a pinch.

When people suggest we need a centre back and say Benkovic not been used so he might not be up to it.. We need to remember Soyuncu wasn't used and now he is a star player.

Morgan is not the answer as is definitely not suited to our style anymore so Benkovic needs to be on the bench asap.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 3

On 10/11/2019 at 22:26, TJB-fox said:

Wow this has caused a stir hasn’t it lol

Just my personal opinion that there is a player in there somewhere but has gone completely backwards at Utd. Think he’d flourish in our current set up and club culture. 

In regards to your question, right now? nobody. But it’s quite conceivable that Barnes’ and Perez form may suffer throughout the season and we may need another option out wide.

I think you're right, there was a period a couple of years ago when he look very decent.

There seems to be a bit of an arse in there too though, and he hasn't gone missing.

Edited by turtmcfly