Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

10 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I thought about this some more, but I'm not sure about him. He was recently sent off twice for play acting and has a reputation for being a bit of a party animal. Yet another Brazillian striker with a playboy attitude!

His talent is not in question, but our current side is based around humble players who who work hard for the team. The defensive work Perez puts in as an example is very impressive and it's one of the reasons why as a team we are so effective. I also think that because the player doesn't speak English natively, it would be harder to connect with the player and to get him on side from the off.

I think given the injury to Evans, CB will be our priority signing right now, and Diego Llorente who we were linked with looks like a good signing. Very similar stylistically to Laporte, who proved he could cut it over here.

Surely Jarrod Bowen is worth a punt at £10m too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I don't see how he improves us to be honest. 

He's no better than Barnes, probably not much better than Gray. 

If we're going to spend money to buy wingers we need to be aiming to improve the starting line up, not just pad out the squad with more average players to give us a fake sense of depth. 

I've just a feeling that he's going to be one of those unfashionable players that does well in the PL, probably not what an aspiring top 4 club should be looking at but I'm a sucker for a left footed right winger who shits goals at any level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I don't see how he improves us to be honest. 

He's no better than Barnes, probably not much better than Gray. 

If we're going to spend money to buy wingers we need to be aiming to improve the starting line up, not just pad out the squad with more average players to give us a fake sense of depth. 

That's my opinion on Bowen too.

I don't mind "depth" signings, if those signings are of genuine quality and brought in with one eye on European competition next season. Dennis Praet is surely the best example of this because every single time he comes on, he looks fabulous but is not in the starting lineup because we are playing so well. But his quality is such, that I think he'd currently start for 16 of the 20 teams in the country!

So I would say that signings in the Perez / Praet mould that are around 25-26 years old with proven experience in key areas aren't bad signings at all to make. Centre Back, Striker and Wide Forwards in that category could be worth it. We also play a high intensity style so simply having more players to cope with an additional load of games that cup competitions may bring in even this season could help. If we beat Everton in the Carabao then we have a two leg game in the next round.

As a club we have quite a strong record in signing good players in the January window, with the likes of Huth, Albrighton, Ndidi and Tielemans all coming in straight away and making a difference. Given how well we are playing, the money we have in the bank and how attractive the club is at the moment, I could see us going quite big in this window. We might even do some Naby Keita style deals where we sign players who join in the summer rather than right away.

9 minutes ago, Harry96 said:

It is tbf but that’s the kind of calibre we should be looking at. Would be a real statement signing 

He's the right kinda calibre just the wrong kind of available. As in not at all. 

I'm all for going big with a winger signing but it's got to be someone more accessible. 

If we continue to perform this well, we might want to look ahead to playing in Europe next season comes January already.

I think we could use some more hard-working players with either Premier League experience or who know what it takes to play Champions League or Europa League and who come with the right attitude.

Tricky part is to choose wisely, and not to bloat the squad just for squad's sake.

Somebody suggested Smalling in the other thread. I'd put Cresswell forward. Fabian Schär. Shane Long (off the bench). Or even Gignac (faster and more mobile than Giroud, a different option up front).

Then Tarkowski, Goldson (Rangers).

In terms of young talent, Bowen has been brought up a few times.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

I think we could send out 4 on loan; Jakupović, Amartey, James and Mendy, with view to permanent moves, and getting them some game time, with us bringing in a winger/forward, permanently. Gabigol would be exciting, or Suso or Yannick Carrasco. This would be a statement of intent. 

If we did bring in a quality wide attacker such as Suso or Carrasco, everyone would say “where’s the back up for Vardy?” I’m less concerned about this, as we have Perez who is getting into his stride and the potential of Iheanacho (potential is definitely there btw)

19 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I think we could send out 4 on loan; Jakupović, Amartey, James and Mendy, with view to permanent moves, and getting them some game time, with us bringing in a winger/forward, permanently. Gabigol would be exciting, or Suso or Yannick Carrasco. This would be a statement of intent. 

If we did bring in a quality wide attacker such as Suso or Carrasco, everyone would say “where’s the back up for Vardy?” I’m less concerned about this, as we have Perez who is getting into his stride and the potential of Iheanacho (potential is definitely there btw)

I like the idea of Carrasco, but you have to question the hunger of someone freely choosing China over Atlético Madrid.

A player such as Bergwijn would be nice, but that's a rather expensive option. Ziyech, even better. Shout out to Thauvin (I wonder what he'll be like after his recovery from injury), Ricardo Centurion/Cristian Pavon (if only the latter hadn't opted for the MLS).

Edited by MC Prussian

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Somebody suggested Smalling in the other thread. I'd put Cresswell forward. Fabian Schär. Shane Long (off the bench). Or even Gignac (faster and more mobile than Giroud, a different option up front).

Then Tarkowski, Goldson (Rangers).

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

35 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Some people need to lay off sniffing glue!

SmartSelect_20191124-221353_Twitter.jpg

Without a doubt the fella behind that page has just completely made it all up. Can’t stand the unofficial Leicester city social media pages that claim to be in the know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest said:

Nothing says planning ahead for European football like the January signing of 32-year-old Shane Long

If he's just part of the squad to come off the bench and score the winner after seven seconds, job done.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

On 23/11/2019 at 22:48, Happy Fox said:

Josef Martinez surely should be worth a punt , I know he plays in the MLS but his goal scoring record is phenomenal. And I think he could make an impact at this level. 

Watch quite a bit of the MLS and he’s a great finisher for sure, Id have concerns over him making the step and the MLS would demand around £20m+ for him if you were to use Almiron as a gauge.

On the subject of Almiron he played in the same side as Martinez and tore the MLS to shreds and has struggled big time in the EPL.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's my opinion on Bowen too.

I don't mind "depth" signings, if those signings are of genuine quality and brought in with one eye on European competition next season. Dennis Praet is surely the best example of this because every single time he comes on, he looks fabulous but is not in the starting lineup because we are playing so well. But his quality is such, that I think he'd currently start for 16 of the 20 teams in the country!

So I would say that signings in the Perez / Praet mould that are around 25-26 years old with proven experience in key areas aren't bad signings at all to make. Centre Back, Striker and Wide Forwards in that category could be worth it. We also play a high intensity style so simply having more players to cope with an additional load of games that cup competitions may bring in even this season could help. If we beat Everton in the Carabao then we have a two leg game in the next round.

As a club we have quite a strong record in signing good players in the January window, with the likes of Huth, Albrighton, Ndidi and Tielemans all coming in straight away and making a difference. Given how well we are playing, the money we have in the bank and how attractive the club is at the moment, I could see us going quite big in this window. We might even do some Naby Keita style deals where we sign players who join in the summer rather than right away.

Albrighton was a summer signing. A Bosman, wasn't it? He didn't play a lot until the end of his first season here, so I can see why you'd think he was a January signing.

Malang Sarr, was very highly rated and has played over 100 league matches for nice and only 21 in jan. Seemed to come through as a promising cb but recently played a lot at lb. Not having the greatest season but could be a player rodgers could develop. Wonder whether he would be worth looking at as a cb but also a reserve lb when Fuchs goes.  

26 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I’m a big fan of James Ward-Prowse and, no disrespect to Southampton, have always thought he’d really improve in a better side.

He’s a clever player, great with a dead ball, young(ish) and English (good for the home-grown) when we make Champions League ;)

Central midfielder when we already have Praet who can barely get any minutes?

For me these are exactly the signings we shouldn't be making, he'll be expensive and come here straight on the bench. At 25 he's not that young that his potential is much higher than his standard right now. We're well stocked in No8's and CDM's, if we were to qualify for the CL I'd prefer a young player with plenty of potential to supplement Maddison, Tielemans and Praet. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Watch quite a bit of the MLS and he’s a great finisher for sure, Id have concerns over him making the step and the MLS would demand around £20m+ for him if you were to use Almiron as a gauge.

On the subject of Almiron he played in the same side as Martinez and tore the MLS to shreds and has struggled big time in the EPL.

In fairness that’s a bit harsh to say he’s struggled big time. Newcastle fans absolutely love him, he’s just been unlucky/poor in front of goal. A lot of them think once he grabs his first goal he’ll kick on. But they do rate him.