Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

13 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

i wish the average voter would question the shite they lap up in The S*n, mail, telegraph and express, the working class/those with less in society that read those papers end up voting against their own interests and instead in the interests of Rupert murdoch etc. 

Perhaps they don’t like being looked down upon, patronised and feel that the ‘free handouts’ are not in their best interests.

You might think it’s what’s best for them but I’d guess despite having not been to university, they are quite capable of understanding what’s they want.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Jo Swindon even with low cut tops would fail, that panel was weak and she failed.

Farage is something,.if he was a moderate he would do really well.

She’s trying to reinvent herself a bit already with an angrier side but Rayner and Farage were much better (albeit opposing sides)

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Quite a few on Twitter saying this now, photo taken a few days ago and flogged to the Mirror.

If they have set this up its a new low. 

I'm having a hard time believing a hospital would treat a child on the floor with a drip bag, there is even a chair next to him in the photo.

You’ve got to be joking. You only need to go to A&E when it’s busy once to know they have absolutely no need to set it up.

5 minutes ago, bmt said:

You’ve got to be joking. You only need to go to A&E when it’s busy once to know they have absolutely no need to set it up.

My fiance worked in A&E for years and she is backing up the nurses saying that just wouldn't happen with a chair next to him.

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

Quite a few on Twitter saying this now, photo taken a few days ago and flogged to the Mirror.

I'm having a hard time believing a hospital would treat a child on the floor with a drip bag, there is even a chair next to him in the photo.

ahaha yerrrs. sounds incredibly desperate and incorrect again. there's a pattern emerging here. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

Of course they have, no competent, self-respecting healthcare professional would let him lie on the floor, putting two chairs together would be preferable if there really was no other option. There's undoubtedly issues in the NHS and we have one of the lowest beds per capita

Its shameful parenting, using your kid for your activism. Thing is you don't need to set it up to show how utterly shit 'our NHS' is. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

My fiance worked in A&E for years and she is backing up the nurses saying that just wouldn't happen with a chair next to him.

Isn't the story the child was so tired they needed to lie down but the hospital couldn't make a bed available so he lay on a coat on the floor? 

Regardless, if the kid has been put on a drip or whatever but can't get a bed so the family decide to let him lie down where comfortable, I don't get the point. The nurses obviously weren't with him at that moment because it was busy, so it doesn't matter what the nurses would allow to happen. 

I don't understand why people who weren't there are saying 'x would never happen' when there's literally photographic evidence of it happening.

Edited by bmt

19 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Perhaps they don’t like being looked down upon, patronised and feel that the ‘free handouts’ are not in their best interests.

You might think it’s what’s best for them but I’d guess despite having not been to university, they are quite capable of understanding what’s they want.

So how exactly do the poor benefit from tax loopholes and tax cuts for the rich?

I think the NHS needs to charge for A and E visits. £10 a visit. Will stop a lot of people turning up with no real need and just clogging up the system. I’ve been twice through broken bones/ligaments and both times the triage nurse said loads of people turn up and shouldn’t be there. 

Also same system in the local GP surgery say £5 a time for the same reason. Imagine how much that extra money could boost the NHS. 

27 minutes ago, bovril said:

Quite interesting to work in London and spend most weekends back home in West Norfolk, and gauge the differences in opinions.

Johnson is seen as a proper leaver (unlike May), and someone who believes in Britain. Someone who will 'get stuff done'. But above all, people seem to feel that the Conservatives represent the shires and smaller towns and act as a kind of conduit for people's resentment towards those more affluent cities, which are populated by people the leavers feel patronise and despise them. As Kopfkino says, people seem to really dislike Corbyn, mostly for being unpatriotic and part of the liberal elite down in London, something they associate with remaining in the EU. It's an extension of the EU vote really - leave vs remain, shire vs city - and Corbyn will lose because he hasn't attracted enough remain votes, being as he is at bit of a soft-leaver. 

And yes all this has been said a million times already. 

Yeah I think you are correct. Is this just politics or is it something one side or both should be concerned about? 

13 minutes ago, MattP said:

Forget the chair there is a bed the other side of the picture but agreed it just wouldn’t be allowed to happen 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

I think the NHS needs to charge for A and E visits. £10 a visit. Will stop a lot of people turning up with no real need and just clogging up the system. I’ve been twice through broken bones/ligaments and both times the triage nurse said loads of people turn up and shouldn’t be there. 

Also same system in the local GP surgery say £5 a time for the same reason. Imagine how much that extra money could boost the NHS. 

:nono:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

So how exactly do the poor benefit from tax loopholes and tax cuts for the rich?

Tax loopholes have existed since taxation, it’s not exclusive to the Conservative party.

Record employment proves that more people are in work and not on welfare handouts and there are clearly some that prefer that given that the conservatives support is increasing from the working class.

It’s not perfect but if those people have worked through two decades, one of Labour and one of conservative, then I think they are a better judge of what’s best for them over you.

6 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

It doesn't matter that many other countries that have a health system that manages to stop people dying do this, this can't happen in 'our NHS' cos something something something

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

£10 may deter the very poor but it certainly wouldn't deter middle class people from going to A&E. Therefore by charging you are  treating wealthy people better than the poor, precisely what the NHS is meant to be against.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmt said:

£10 may deter the very poor but it certainly wouldn't deter middle class people from going to A&E. Therefore by charging you are  treating wealthy people better than the poor, precisely what the NHS is meant to be against.

And if it doesn’t deter them, the NHS gets extra revenue. If you truly needed to go to A and E you’ll pay a tenner. 

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Tax loopholes have existed since taxation, it’s not exclusive to the Conservative party.

Record employment proves that more people are in work and not on welfare handouts and there are clearly some that prefer that given that the conservatives support is increasing from the working class.

It’s not perfect but if those people have worked through two decades, one of Labour and one of conservative, then I think they are a better judge of what’s best for them over you.

True but there hasn't been much gusto in the Tory party to fix them, mainly because friends and family of MPs benefit.

Record employment is just one way of cutting the statistics, and isn't necessarily a good sign of a strong economy.

But it is a fair argument to say that it is hard to know what is best with how biased the information we are fed is (for both sides). I think the Tory party have done a great job of convincing people they are the party of aspiration and that working class people are now middle class (when actually very little has changed), and therefore become more appealing to the working class.

2 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

And if it doesn’t deter them, the NHS gets extra revenue. If you truly needed to go to A and E you’ll pay a tenner. 

I've been out of work recently and I would genuinely have struggled to pay a tenner, and would definitely delay going to the doctors to check up if I thought I may be hurt/ill. I don't think charging at point of use sets a good precedent at all, and we should aim to improve services rather than restrict access to them.

• Like 1