Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Match of the Day 2019/2020

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

I’ve lived in the city of Leicester all of my life. Very rarely have I referred to us as “City”. “City” isnt exclusive to Man City - a host of other clubs have city in their team name too and I know a lot of people dislike them being referred to like they’re the only City. 

In Leicester and surrounds the team is/was usually referred to as 'the' City - as in 'going down the City on Saturday?' etc.

What people in the country at large call us interests me about as much as their views on Brexit/VAR/climate change or immigration.

ie - not at all.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bert said:

I’ve lived in the city of Leicester all of my life. Very rarely have I referred to us as “City”. “City” isnt exclusive to Man City - a host of other clubs have city in their team name too and I know a lot of people dislike them being referred to like they’re the only City. 

Just now, Stoopid said:

In Leicester and surrounds the team is/was usually referred to as 'the' City - as in 'going down the City on Saturday?' etc.

What people in the country at large call us interests me about as much as their views on Brexit/VAR/climate change or immigration.

ie - not at all.

Outside of leics, ‘city’ is accepted as meaning Man City ...... you may not like it but that what it is. Do the good folk of Sheffield get upset about Man U being yanited ??? 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Outside of leics, ‘city’ is accepted as meaning Man City ...... you may not like it but that what it is. Do the good folk of Sheffield get upset about Man U being yanited ??? 

Yes they do actually, well actually I can’t speak for all of them but I shared a place with a Sheff United fan for a while, and he would go off his nut when anyone mentioned just United. 

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Strange that because when me and my dad chat football we always refer to leicester as City, as I do when I chat football to my customers 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Strange that because when me and my dad chat football we always refer to leicester as City, as I do when I chat football to my customers 

Everyone’s different and I know lots of leicestarians that do refer to us as City all the time. 

Bit controversial but I don’t mind Man City being referred to as “City” in mainstream media. As someone else has said, they are distinguished from the other club in their city which is reason for the reference. We are Leicester a one club city and that’s something to be very proud about.

if you take Newcastle as a good example, in the city they’re United but when you refer to United outside of Newcastle it’s most probably Man U that someone is referring to. I just prefer telling people I’m a Leicester fan than a “City” fan. 

We don’t share our city with any other football club outside of Leicester but can understand in the city reference to “City” is more of an issue due to confusion with the Tigers. 

8 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Bit controversial but I don’t mind Man City being referred to as “City” in mainstream media. As someone else has said, they are distinguished from the other club in their city which is reason for the reference. We are Leicester a one club city and that’s something to be very proud about.

if you take Newcastle as a good example, in the city they’re United but when you refer to United outside of Newcastle it’s most probably Man U that someone is referring to. I just prefer telling people I’m a Leicester fan than a “City” fan. 

We don’t share our city with any other football club outside of Leicester but can understand in the city reference to “City” is more of an issue due to confusion with the Tigers. 

This is true. If I'm speaking to anyone who is not a Leicester fan, I will refer to us as Leicester. By the same token, if someone who is not a Leicester fan says 'City', my first assumption is that they are referring to Manchester City. And it's not worth people getting all in a tizzy about.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I very rarely hear them being called United.

Mostly "Toon" or "Newcastle" 

37 minutes ago, Phube said:

You do realise this could have all been solved if, like me and the other 20 folks, you had voted for Fosse on that fateful day!! 

One rep point to whoever can name the game and result on this day! 

• 1 month later...