Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Match of the Day 2019/2020

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Problem with these throwback games is they nearly all involve one of the big 5/6 teams because they are the ones they've shown the most, Sky are awash with them. 

I thought the same! Leicester have to wait until Thursday when they are being shown on sky premiere league for 2 hours!  I think it is only games from Brendan's era though.

15 hours ago, 49er said:

Do you remember the great goal that Peake scored against Liverpool in a 3-3 home draw - what a game

15 hours ago, Line-X said:

I was just thinking that. I was standing in the Main Stand. Lovely warm spring evening. Great atmosphere. That and the Arsenal 3-3 are the best games I saw at Filbert Street. 

15 hours ago, 49er said:

I was in PEN 3. Always remember Lynex chipping over Grobelaar, and Lineker powering past Hansen and Lawrenson to poke in the third. Best forward line imho until Vardy and Mahrez

Went with my Dad as a youth. We didn’t have tickets and it was rammed outside before KO. Luckily some bloke offered us both his tickets because his lad couldn’t make it and we ended up in the DD. 

Ive searched YouTube and still can’t find the highlights which is really frustrating but still got the Mercury report in my scrap book!!

What an atmosphere that was. 27,000 packed in under the light. One of my favourite ever  Filbo memories.

537641EF-9352-444A-9A0C-60418AA9E57B.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Went with my Dad as a youth. We didn’t have tickets and it was rammed outside before KO. Luckily some bloke offered us both his tickets because his lad couldn’t make it and we ended up in the DD. 

Ive searched YouTube and still can’t find the highlights which is really frustrating but still got the Mercury report in my scrap book!!

What an atmosphere that was. 27,000 packed in under the light. One of my favourite ever  Filbo memories.

Good old Bill Anderson! 

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Problem with these throwback games is they nearly all involve one of the big 5/6 teams because they are the ones they've shown the most, Sky are awash with them. 

Surely though it's because they are good sides so involved in good games.

If people think great PL games they think Liverpool/Newcastle, Arsenal/Spurs, Man Utd/Liverpool, Man Utd/Arsenal etc and for us, from a non-biased view here, it'd be LCFC/Man United and LCFC/Arsenal.

Great games are hardly between Palace and Watford. Or at least I can't think of that many games. It's only natural people will want to watch the bigger sides more anyway.

Edited by Fox92

So many keepers in the PL era better than David bloody James that weren't included in that top 10.

Brad Friedel, Nigel Martyn, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Mark Schwarzer, even Kasper...

I'd even argue that Joe Hart at his peak (2010 - 2013) was playing at a level James never reached, though admittedly he didn't have the same longevity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davieG said:

In Shearers case the problem is that he played in 2 of them and only chose the Liverpool Newcastle one almost to show some form of impartiality. Anyone was going to pick that.

Newcastle-Man Utd is only relevant to Newcastle fans. As good as the goals were there must have been hundreds of better games. The 94/95 finale was good alright but hardly in greatest ever territory.

I would accept picking 1 connected game but 3 was a bit much. I'll say the same if Lineker starts picking all Leicester games.

Edited by Blue ROI

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

If people think great PL games they think Liverpool/Newcastle, Arsenal/Spurs, Man Utd/Liverpool, Man Utd/Arsenal etc and for us, from a non-biased view here, it'd be LCFC/Man United and LCFC/Arsenal.

Great games are hardly between Palace and Watford. Or at least I can't think of that many games. It's only natural people will want to watch the bigger sides more anyway.

My point was they never showed as many none top six games in the first place you just ave to look at the TV revenues to see that.

I think you're being a bit snobbish/biased yourself there's been plenty of boring top 5/6 games and vice versa, Super Sunday is often mocked after we've seen a boring inter top 6 games.

I'd be more inclined to think there's just as many good/bad games from  either set.

I think the fact is and the root to it is that the top teams guarantee a bigger audience especially from overseas.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'd agree with the 2 LCFC games you picked but we wouldn't have been an elite club even then.

We've had good games against top 4-6 teams in the past but if i was picking my most memorable Leicester games the 4-3 defeats to Wolves would be there. Then there's the 4-3 defeat at Newcastle 96-97, the 3 games v Stoke that ended 2-2 between 2015-17 and the 3-2 v West Brom in 2014/15 along with the Villa comeback..  We've had some right decent games against teams in the bottom half.

As a neutral the games played on the 5 February 2011 was unreal. Newcastle's comeback against Arsenal, Wolves beating Man Utd, Wigan beating Blackburn 4-3. The sort of day MOTD is made for. Would make a good feature.

57 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

In Shearers case the problem is that he played in 2 of them and only chose the Liverpool Newcastle one almost to show some form of impartiality. Anyone was going to pick that.

Newcastle-Man Utd is only relevant to Newcastle fans. As good as the goals were there must have been hundreds of better games. The 94/95 finale was good alright but hardly in greatest ever territory.

I would accept picking 1 connected game but 3 was a bit much. I'll say the same if Lineker starts picking all Leicester games.

Please don't. 

1 hour ago, davieG said:

My point was they never showed as many none top six games in the first place you just ave to look at the TV revenues to see that.

I think you're being a bit snobbish/biased yourself there's been plenty of boring top 5/6 games and vice versa, Super Sunday is often mocked after we've seen a boring inter top 6 games.

I'd be more inclined to think there's just as many good/bad games from  either set.

I think the fact is and the root to it is that the top teams guarantee a bigger audience especially from overseas.

52 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

I'd agree with the 2 LCFC games you picked but we wouldn't have been an elite club even then.

We've had good games against top 4-6 teams in the past but if i was picking my most memorable Leicester games the 4-3 defeats to Wolves would be there. Then there's the 4-3 defeat at Newcastle 96-97, the 3 games v Stoke that ended 2-2 between 2015-17 and the 3-2 v West Brom in 2014/15 along with the Villa comeback..  We've had some right decent games against teams in the bottom half.

As a neutral the games played on the 5 February 2011 was unreal. Newcastle's comeback against Arsenal, Wolves beating Man Utd, Wigan beating Blackburn 4-3. The sort of day MOTD is made for. Would make a good feature.

Agree with both of you but as Davie says there, that was sort of my point. Audiences are going to want to watch bigger sides compared to "smaller" sides.

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

Is there any particular reason why you also have Alan Smith's ballsack in your scrapbook Iz?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/04/2020 at 16:14, st albans fox said:

Not specifically MOTD but I have paused my BT sport and sky sports on Virgin and am still able to watch them ..... don’t really get that but if someone is offering something for nothing ......

Yeah I paused my BT and it still works lol 

On 08/04/2020 at 16:14, st albans fox said:

Not specifically MOTD but I have paused my BT sport and sky sports on Virgin and am still able to watch them ..... don’t really get that but if someone is offering something for nothing ......

They allowed programs to still be watched as there's been nothing live. Subscriptions resume 19th of June or thereabouts. Don't worry they'll soon start taking your money again.