Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Match of the Day 2019/2020

7 hours ago, PhillippaT said:

That example is why multiple camera angles are needed. 

The question to VAR is sometimes too limited and ignores the context. At Anfield it appears that the only question asked was "was there contact?". It didn't include considerations like "what was the nature of the contact?", "was it enough to affect Mane?", "who initiated the contact?", "was Mane in possession of the ball or going for the ball?", "was Albrighton going for the ball?", etc, etc. A full picture of the incident is needed in order to hope to come up with an accurate interpretation.

I have always believed anyway that a referee should be 100% certain before giving a goal or a penalty because these have such a huge effect on the outcome of a game. One clear plus of VAR is in determining whether the ball has crossed the goal line - this is perfect. But in most other situations, where there's an element of interpretation, the application of VAR needs to be much more intelligent than it is at the moment,

14 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

The MOTD2 crew are so much better than MOTD1! Maybe it's because they have more time to cover the game, but I thought that was superb analysis. Even for Palace they analyzed that corner to a good degree of detail.

Maybe if we lost I wouldn't have been so complimentary, but that was pretty good I think!

Yeah this is the whole thing. It's about time. Remember when Steve Claridge was getting pelters for offering crap insight on the Football League Show. People seemed to forget he was being asked to comment on 72 teams and 36 games. How much detail/info did people think he was going to get.

Same with MOTD. Saturday show has 6-8 games, usually. How can they properly analyse things when they're trying to show all the highlights, the interviews and analysis when the show is broadcast just 5 hours after the 3pm games finish?

Monday Night Football is great because they give time. Post match on Super Sunday is great because they get time. It's a simple bit of maths, but what else can you do. Decent, insightful analysis requires preparation.

8 hours ago, TK95 said:

I guess we're now part of the "Top 6 AND Leicester" lol

Who came out with that classic? I've just put it on to see Man Utd Brigthon having watched the other two games, I'm not watching the rest of the show.

14 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Then the commenator says "If he tried that 100 times, he'd score 100 times." Well he's just tried it once and missed once, so that's clearly bollocks.

The quality of football commentary and punditry, at its finest there.

• 2 months later...

Match of the Day running order

Liverpool vs Southampton

Watford vs Everton

West Ham vs Brighton

Bournemouth vs Aston Villa

Leicester vs Chelsea

Crystal Palace vs Sheffield United

Newcastle vs Norwich