Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

2020 deathlist

Philosopher and "traditional Conservative" Sir Roger Scruton. :(

I'd advise a read of his obituary if you come across one in the next few days, a pretty incredible life and the extent he went to to try (and often succeed) bring freedom of thought and speech to behind the iron curtain was pretty amazing, often at huge personal cost.

"When we wish to summon the 'we' of identity we refer to our country. We refer simply to this spot of earth, which belongs to us because we belong to it, have loved it, lived in it, defended it and established peace and prosperity within its borders"

RIP Sir Roger.

His last diary entry from the Spectator in the Xmas issue after what was a challenging year - https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/01/roger-scruton-1944-2020/

Edited by MattP

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

Philosopher and "traditional Conservative" Sir Roger Scruton. :(

I'd advise a read of his obituary if you come across one in the next few days, a pretty incredible life and the extent he went to to try (and often succeed) bring freedom of thought and speech to behind the iron curtain was pretty amazing, often at huge personal cost.

"When we wish to summon the 'we' of identity we refer to our country. We refer simply to this spot of earth, which belongs to us because we belong to it, have loved it, lived in it, defended it and established peace and prosperity within its borders"

RIP Sir Roger.

His last diary entry from the Spectator in the Xmas issue after what was a challenging year - https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/01/roger-scruton-1944-2020/

Even if I wasn't necessarily on the same page as him, it's such a shame to lose a genuine intellectual thinker, we're running low on them as it is. 

Didn't he say something along the lines of 'buying rounds in the pub is one of Britain's greatest achievements' and its right. I remember at uni international students would marvel at it when they realised that's what we do. 

36 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Derek Fowlds, 82.

Legend.

How sad :(

Only a few months ago a good friend of mine interviewed Derek Fowlds on his memories of working with Peter Cushing (below).

He said Derek Fowlds was so delightful that they both agreed to do a documentary all about his own life and career. They only finished filming recently and it'll be available on Amazon soon.

And now he's dead. Legend as you say. RIP

• Like 1

This is just awful news. I’ve been a huge basketball fan since before Kobe entered the NBA and I watched him throughout his career with great interest and enjoyment. 

What a terrible tragedy, and how awful for his wife and 4 children, the youngest of which is only around 6 months old. 

17 minutes ago, silebyboy said:

This is just awful news. I’ve been a huge basketball fan since before Kobe entered the NBA and I watched him throughout his career with great interest and enjoyment. 

What a terrible tragedy, and how awful for his wife and 4 children, the youngest of which is only around 6 months old. 

Some reports suggests that one of his daughters died also.