Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

2020 deathlist

On 02/04/2020 at 13:37, Izzy said:

For years I thought Tony Lewis of Duckwoth-Lewis fame was this Tony Lewis who captained England and was a presenter on BBC for years.

image.jpeg.bcdd50cb88ff181eaf62586847fe178e.jpeg

Imagine my surprise when I found out it wasn't him at all, but a completely different Tony Lewis :unsure:

Me too...liked him as a commentator,but didn't realise it was someone different!

Edited by PAULCFC

Former NFL kicker Tom Dempsey has died aged 73 from complications arising from contracting COVID-19. Dempsey is famous for being the longtime record holder of the longest Field Goal in NFL history, a 63-yard game winning effort while playing for the New Orleans Saints against the Detroit Lions in 1970. It was a feat made more remarkable because Dempsey was born with no toes on his right kicking foot.

25 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Raddy Antic has died aged 71.

I thought that I remembered, long before his managerial career, that it was him who scored the goal that kept Luton in the top tier and sent Man City down - and set David Pleat dancing on the pitch.....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I thought that I remembered, long before his managerial career, that it was him who scored the goal that kept Luton in the top tier and sent Man City down - and set David Pleat dancing on the pitch.....

A proper Kenilworth Road legend, and an iconic moment in football history

• Like 1

Country singer/songwriter John Prine gone with coronavirus at 73:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52212571

I thought that I didn't know him at all but then saw that he did the song below, which I've heard several times, always loved but never knew who it was by....

If Springsteen is "crushed" by his loss and he was "revered" by Dylan and Cash, as the obituary claims, it certainly sounds as if I need to be checking out his back catalogue.

Reverting to black humour..... One day you're breaking the speed of the sound of loneliness, next day you're not moving at all. :nono:

(Mind you, I always liked the sound of being "out there running just to be on the run"....not the intended listener response, I presume)

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Country singer/songwriter John Prine gone with coronavirus at 73:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52212571

I thought that I didn't know him at all but then saw that he did the song below, which I've heard several times, always loved but never knew who it was by....

If Springsteen is "crushed" by his loss and he was "revered" by Dylan and Cash, as the obituary claims, it certainly sounds as if I need to be checking out his back catalogue.

Reverting to black humour..... One day you're breaking the speed of the sound of loneliness, next day you're not moving at all. :nono:

(Mind you, I always liked the sound of being "out there running just to be on the run"....not the intended listener response, I presume)

You do! 

Managed to get tickets to see and meet him at a tiny gig in Rough Trade East record shop last year. This after three other occasions (the first in the acoustic tent at Glastonbury in 1993 - 27 years... ****ing hell)

This is where I started all those years ago, with a collection of live recording interspersed with stellar in-between song chat https://open.spotify.com/album/5WNkdBedxiVxtWZH1xkYoQ

FYI - this is what Dylan said about him;

"Prine's stuff is pure Proustian existentialism. Midwestern mindtrips to the nth degree. And he writes beautiful songs. I remember when Kris Kristofferson first brought him on the scene. All that stuff about Sam Stone the soldier junky daddy and Donald and Lydia, where people make love from ten miles away. Nobody but Prine could write like that. If I had to pick one song of his, it might be Lake Marie. I don't remember what album that's on,"  (it's on Lost Dogs + Mixed Blessings)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1