Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Hopes for 2020

On a similar note to an existing thread in the LCFC part of the forum I thought I'd ask about what people are hoping for from 2020 in general, rather than just to do with the club.

Mine are reasonably simple:

- on a personal level, getting published and moving to a job that allows me a bit more free time.

- on a world note, a reversal (or at least a slowing) in the recent tide of nationalism arising around the world and some actual tangible combined efforts by world governments to actually address climate change rather than just bickering about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like the thread idea, good shout @leicsmac

- On a professional level, I stated a new job at the beginning of November. It has the potential to make me a lot of money, I want to become consistent in my role to have multiple good months instead of being up and down. As I have a lot more free time now, I’d like to use this time wisely, getting myself into the gym and perhaps some charity work.

- On a personal level, I’ve just brought a house. I’d like to be financially stable by the end of 2020 and more financially responsible. This includes clearing all of my debts and hopefully paying extra off my mortgage to reduce the term. 

• Like 2

- Moving to the Netherlands as work sets up a new office there so hoping that isn't a **** up and all goes well. Will probably be heading up a function in that office by the end of the year which will set me up to move into a banging role elsewhere or into VC for 2021.

- Also hope the post-Liberal liberals will pipe down for a year to give us a bit of respite. But being as its a US election year, the emotional incontinence will hit incomprehensible levels. 

• Like 1

Personally - my fathers cancer to be healed, a relationship to blossom and prosperity in work.

Spiritually - to continue to grow in the Christian faith and to follow gods guidance.

politically - for the left to continue their disrespect and disregard for opposing arguments, so that we continue to beat them in the poll booth, where one can voice their opinion free from the ridicule. 

• Like 3

The fundamental and simple understanding by people that 2020 is the last year of the teens and not the first of the twenties.

I fear it's too much for most people to get their heads around this simple absolute, so world peace has no chance.

13 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The fundamental and simple understanding by people that 2020 is the last year of the teens and not the first of the twenties.

I fear it's too much for most people to get their heads around this simple absolute, so world peace has no chance.

It's called Twenty Twenty FFS lol 

I know there was no year 0, but that was over 2000 years ago, I think it's generally accepted by most normal people that decades start on the 0 year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It's called Twenty Twenty FFS lol 

I know there was no year 0, but that was over 2000 years ago, I think it's generally accepted by most normal people that decades start on the 0 year.

The nub and crux of it is that the dating system we have is entirely subjective as we have next to no idea if it was being used by people all the way from 0 to 2020 anyway.

So, as it is, what defines a decade is what majority opinion says it is, not any kind of scientific metric. Sorry Trav.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The nub and crux of it is that the dating system we have is entirely subjective as we have next to no idea if it was being used by people all the way from 0 to 2020 anyway.

So, as it is, what defines a decade is what majority opinion says it is, not any kind of scientific metric. Sorry Trav.

So, let me get this straight, you think Crazy Frog must be good music, cos' lots of people bought it?

I've been disagreeing with popular opinion all my life, one of the reasons I'm a Leicester fan.

7 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

So, let me get this straight, you think Crazy Frog must be good music, cos' lots of people bought it?

I've been disagreeing with popular opinion all my life, one of the reasons I'm a Leicester fan.

I think it's shit, but I'm not going to say it's objectively, scientifically shit, because there is simply zero methodological basis on which I can do so. I think that qualifier is really important, especially in this era when the lines between fact and opinion seem to be getting deliberately blurred.

Off to Orlando in May for the first trip to the states, having spend a fortune on it! hoping it's an amazing trip. On a personally level I'm currently seeing someone and hoping it will develop into something further but we shall see, but nice if it went into a proper relationship. Work wise... still an apprentice for the third year... i'm hoping and praying this turns into something more permenant failing that hoping for an opportunity somewhere else with better wages and maybe closer to home. Health wise is going to be interesting this year being recently diagonosed with crohn's disease and going to be on even more mediciation so hope that doesn't affect me too much. 

Personally nothing except health for my family and friends - eight funerals is too much in one in one year and I lost both remaining grandparents,  a very close friend and too many others. Just no funerals and I'll be happy.

I was going to post about political wishes but in reality they pale into insignificance after I've just typed the above.

@Trav Le Bleu from wikipedia. We're both right, but I'm more right than you. :D 

• Any period of ten years is a decade, and there is no 'official' legal nor administrative start or end point,[1][2] so it can be any arbitrary span of ten years. For example, (1) 'the first decade' of a person's life begins on their birthday; (2) the statement that "during his last decade, Mozart explored chromatic harmony to a degree rare at the time" merely refers to the last ten years of Mozart's life without regard to which calendar years are encompassed.
    • There are two methods of counting decades in recognition. One, called ordinal, counts decades starting with the first year 1 CE (For example, the years 1981–1990 is referred to as the 199th decade), while the other, called cardinal, groups years based on having the same digits (For example, the years 1980–1989 is referred to as the 1980s, or commonly known as the eighties).
    • A YouGov poll was conducted on December 2, 2019, asking 13,582 Americans whether the following decade would begin on New Year's Day 2020 or New Year's Day 2021. Results show that 64% of Americans answered the next decade will begin on January 1, 2020, and will end on December 31, 2029. 19% of the Americans surveyed replied they are unsure, while 17% answered the next decade will begin on January 1, 2021, and will end on December 31, 2030.[3]
  • The frequently used method to refer to decades is the cardinal method, which groups years based on their shared tens digit, such as the nineteen-sixties (1960s) referring to the period from 1960 to 1969.[4][5] Sometimes, only the tens part is mentioned (60s or sixties), although this may leave it uncertain which century is meant. In this method, a new decade begins when the third digit of a numerical year changes (For example, the 1970s began when 1969 ended and 1970 took over) while ending on the last day of any year ending in nine. The fact of there being no year zero does not apply, as this method counts decades cardinally rather than ordinally.
  • The rarer ordinal decade counts years beginning with the year AD 1, as the Gregorian calendar counts ordinally rather than cardinally, and hence there was no year zero. For example, the term 196th decade spans the years from 1951 to 1960. The last year of an ordinal decade ends in zero while matching with the corresponding digits used in the title (For example, the 201st decade spans from 2001 to 2010).
  • Particularly in the 20th century, a nominal decade is sometimes used to refer not just to a set of ten years but rather to a period of about ten years – for example, the phrase the sixties often refers to events that took place between around 1964 and 1972,[6] and to memories of the counterculture, flower power, protests of 1968 and other things happening at the time. Often, such a nominal decade will come to be known by a title, such as the "Swinging Sixties" (1960s), the "Warring Forties" (1940s) and the "Roaring Twenties" (1920s). This practice is occasionally also applied to decades of earlier centuries, for example, references to the 1890s as the "Gay Nineties" or "Naughty Nineties".
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think it's shit, but I'm not going to say it's objectively, scientifically shit, because there is simply zero methodological basis on which I can do so. I think that qualifier is really important, especially in this era when the lines between fact and opinion seem to be getting deliberately blurred.

Except for millions (possibly the majority?) of people in the world it's not 2020 tomorrow, it's not even a new year tomorrow. For some, tomorrow isn't even tomorrow (not until sundown, anyway). So the measure of commonly accepted practice being the correct method doesn't stand.

Though I realise that this also poo-poos my methodology. Time is relative and all about perspective, therefore what any individual uses to measure the passage of time is correct.

However the idea that this year is different from that year and that what happens in Jan 2020 is somehow better connected to and more relevant to what happens in Dec 2020 than Dec 2019, is when you start thinking about it, rather weird.

It's also incredibly odd that we count in groups of ten 1-10, 2-20 but years 0-9. Surely that is purely down to semantics, i.e. it's "twenty", followed by "twenty" one, whereas I look at it mathematically, cos', you know, it's a number, not a word. :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Except for millions (possibly the majority?) of people in the world it's not 2020 tomorrow, it's not even a new year tomorrow. For some, tomorrow isn't even tomorrow (not until sundown, anyway). So the measure of commonly accepted practice being the correct method doesn't stand.

Though I realise that this also poo-poos my methodology. Time is relative and all about perspective, therefore what any individual uses to measure the passage of time is correct.

However the idea that this year is different from that year and that what happens in Jan 2020 is somehow better connected to and more relevant to what happens in Dec 2020 than Dec 2019, is when you start thinking about it, rather weird.

It's also incredibly odd that we count in groups of ten 1-10, 2-20 but years 0-9. Surely that is purely down to semantics, i.e. it's "twenty", followed by "twenty" one, whereas I look at it mathematically, cos', you know, it's a number, not a word. :dunno:

It is strange, you're right, but then most things that come down to human perception tend to be when you really look at them.

I am feeling good about 2020. I just sense this is a great time to make a change, physically, mentally and spiritually. It feels like this is the year to really do something positive with my life and get out of my comfort zone. Time to start fresh and get life back on track. 

Hopes for the twenty twenties... Myself and my family to stay healthy, sign upto a gym AND GO and more importantly enjoy it. 

Find some sort of hobby that doesn't involve sitting at the PC would be awesome. 

Cut out carbs AGAIN, cut out drinking in January completely but this time not try to make up for it the rest of the year. (seriously need to cut down on the booze.) 

And hope FT can actually come to some agreement on what an actual decade is. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

As we move on 2020, we are all hoping for a crap load of rain, some favourable weather conditions and all these fires to be brought under control.

Agreed and hope all changes weather wise down under.

Despite our moans about the weather, we in the British Isles are actually very fortunate to have such a moderate climate. 

Personally I need to sleep more and be healthier. I say this every year but this winter I've been knackered. Can't burn the candle at both ends anymore. Also maybe become a father.

In terms of football, a cup final and top 4 would be amazing. But really just a continuation of what we've seen since March - exciting, committed football.

As a society I hope we begin to move on from the obsession with winning and getting one over on the other side. What's good for one of us is good for all of us.

Edited by bovril

In approximate chronological order...

- Get twice-postponed heart op done, preferably successfully

- Get to see a friend I've not met for 6 years soon

- LCFC qualify for Champions' League & Wembley final

- Visit several old friends & relations

- Help daughter through GCSEs & into 6th form college

- One or more extended trips around Europe (plans underway: NL, Ger, Fr, Sp?)

- Get plans underway to leave Leicester & move to south coast (or continent?)

- Politically/economically, I hope the bad stuff I fear doesn't start happening