Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

City 1-2 Saints Post Match

34 minutes ago, reynard said:

This is the first crisis, and I use that word advisedly, to hit Ridgers since he came here. Yesterday was both a terrible perfomance by us and a very good one by Southampton. For me the following appear fairly obvious.

1 We're not anyhwere near as good without Ndidi as with him and we don't have a replacement.

2 Hamza is a long way off being ready to play the holding midfield role. He made a lot of mistakes yesterday.

3 Perez is simply poor when playing wide and too easily shaken off the ball.

4 Chilwell is badly off form, looks shot of confidence and gave the ball away I don't know how many times yesterday. Perhaps bring in Fuchs for the next game?

5 Barnes is offering absolutely zero at the moment. Looks nervous and confidence shot to pieces

6 We have become soft and too nice to play against. Not one of our midfield yesterday showed they could actually tackle. We need to learn the dark arts of the game like Man City and Liverpool.

7 Corners. We have such little physical prescense that they have largely becoma a waste of time for us.

The next 2 league games are massive. With the February we have coming up it is quite conceivable we will drop out of the top 4 by the end of that month and if we do I don't think we have the players to get us back into it. They look like they have run out of ideas and energy.

Points 4 and 5 I totally agree with two young players who are both low on confidence doesn't help. I've noticed Chilwell berating Barnes quite a number times and if you ask me Chilwell needs to look at his own game before shouting at Barnes. No wonder Barnes doesn't know if he's coming or going,  Someone mentioned earlier about Barnes having his back to goal in advanced positions I honestly think he's not sure what to do at the minute. Brendan needs to sort this on the training ground or go out and buy an experienced winger.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Rodgers has to take some of the blame for some poor decision making that has led to some poor performances and perhaps even the loss of confidence in some of our younger players. Is he overthinking the opposition and making things too complex rather than letting the team play more naturally in their own more confident style?

Too much thinking arguably caused Ranieri's downfall.

21 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Southampton are one of the inform sides in the league with a striker in the form of his life. It's nothing more than a small dip. We didn't play at 100% and they are at the minute. People turning Chilwell into scapegoat are pathetic. He's just a little out of form nothing else, he's a young academy product who needs support not being criticised every 5 seconds. 

The first part is fine but as for criticisibg chilwell, i tend to do it internally or vis quiet conversation in  the stands, only when he does something really shit, or when he doesn't do something he should.

Yeah, it was about every 5 seconds. As you were 😂

10 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Bit harsh maybe? But one things for sure, I'd like to see if you are right by seeing him dropped.

I think piper read out tanners stats on radio leicester.... showed chilly was our "top giver away of the ball'.... we were way too wasteful.

Ps. Why dont they actually take calls on the post match phone in.

In its hay day it was great. I remember Alan young getting a roasted for his brown nosing after one poor championship game

7 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Then I’ll ask you a very simple question. How are we currently second in the best league on the planet, having played the players you are suggesting aren’t good enough, almost every week?

Ooh. Please read my reply and then look at your question. 
Let’s not pretend we are where we are based on technique and having the finest players in the league. We are where are because everyone but Liverpool have been shite for the most part and we have been on a run and taken advantage of other’s not doing so. 
Yesterday’s result has been coming for weeks and that’s with N’didi playing. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

The first part is fine but as for criticisibg chilwell, i tend to do it internally or vis quiet conversation in  the stands, only when he does something really shit, or when he doesn't do something he should.

Yeah, it was about every 5 seconds. As you were 😂

It just seems very unnecessary. I would get if he was truly shit and had no ability but he is clearly talented. You don't become Englands first choice left back at that age with just a couple of years top flight experience without some serious ability. He's just going through a bad patch which is totally understandable from a defender who is so young, he won't be the finished product for another 4 or 5 years at least, defending relies a lot on experience. Just feel like more encouragement is needed rather than scapegoating. 

21 hours ago, Matt said:

Not good enough again!

Now some people want to skip along in gay abandon burying their heads in the sand papering over cracks with the Everton and Watford wins.

The Norwich draw was abit of a wake up call to people granted. The Villa win said more about Villa than us. 

Back to burying their heads in the sand giving the simple excuse Man City and Liverpool are better than us - they are, of course they are but let have some self respect, look at ourselves, we were t good enough!!!

West Ham and Newcastle wins whilst good and impressing considering the rotation again said more about them than us.

On Wednesday we were flat and not good enough giving the excuses they parked the bus.

Today they can’t use that excuse, I though Southampton played quite open, forward, attacking, gave us opportunities, but no let’s play it sideways, slow, not moving forward.

We've not been good enough since November, let’s have some honesty.

To top it off I’m walking away from that game and people are claiming VAR ruined that game with a straight face.

**** off!! Be honest, not good enough.

I think you make a lot of good points and we definitely veer from the sublime to the ridiculous and overemphasize every performance to say we will be like that for the rest of the season guaranteed.

But as annoyed as i am by it, i can't help feel you are going too far the other way in effectively calling everyone else ostriches if they dont agrer that the end of the world is nigh.

Just needs some perspective. Im concerned by recent performances and results, but we are where we are on merit, and no one below chelsea (and even chelsea) are showing enough tosay they will catch us imminently.

Someone posted that man u/tottenham will catch us if we carry on as we are, but hell norwich could probably catch us if we are at our worst every week, but i feel confident enough to expect us to improve again.

Hoping but also reasonably confident that it's  a blip. A longer blip than weve seen for a while granted, but we are in the mad 2 months, have a transfer window, money to spend and i expect us to improve based upon that and our recent history.

We'll be alright.

4 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

It just seems very unnecessary. I would get if he was truly shit and had no ability but he is clearly talented. You don't become Englands first choice left back at that age with just a couple of years top flight experience without some serious ability. He's just going through a bad patch which is totally understandable from a defender who is so young, he won't be the finished product for another 4 or 5 years at least, defending relies a lot on experience. Just feel like more encouragement is needed rather than scapegoating. 

I hope you are right and admire your stance but for me his season has been vastly below par and if it wasn't for the southampton performance i would question that actually still can do it.

Not a fan of the loud vocal annoyance/abuse but personally finding it very difficult as his decision making has been shit.

I dont want to write him off but think he needs a benching.

The only reason i wouldnt completely drop him though is because he carries a large value and we dont want to decrease his value but he is doing a good job of that himself atm.

If someone offer £60m this window I'd honestly snap their hands off and play justin, and buy another back up. Obviously room to look for better, closer to ricardo or peak fuchs but i like the looks of justin and if it wasnt for chilwells perceived transfer value i would have no qualms playing justin instead.

I hear what you are saying and truly believe it is right and admirable, but on football terms he's not far enough of justin to keep his place regardless imo.

Barnes doesn’t cover Chilwell enough and Chilwell himself is defending poorly.  The absence of a Ndidi highlights our vulnerability - need Mads and Tielemans back on form and some width.  Surprised Albrighton wasn’t used yesterday as the service to Vardy and KI was very poor.

Evans has been class all season.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, StanSP said:

But they always do a 'last time out' for any game?? 

That's not the reason we lost today. Southampton would have been pumped up for this game regardless of what's shown on the screen. 

Yeah, I don't think it made a huge difference. We are there to cater for our fans, remember, and showing classic moments and goals is what I think plenty want to see.

I'd have expected them to do the same if the situation was reversed.

1 hour ago, gw_leics772 said:

Bit harsh maybe? But one things for sure, I'd like to see if you are right by seeing him dropped.

Maybe, but he was at direct fault for their first as well as wasting many good chances, that surely one of will have led to a goal with the likes of vardy running onto it 

• Like 1

One of the biggest things (going back to the Norwich game) is the drop in intensity & pace in the entire team. 

Everything seems so very slow, deliberate and frankly predictable.  

I guess, this when we see just how good Rodgers really is. This when he proves he is a top coach. I would go as far as to say that the following are out of form and as a consequence out of confidence;

Chilwell

Youri

Barnes

Perez

How does it he get them 'back'? 

Yesterday the biggest miss was Wilf. Hamza for most of the match was positioned as if he really didn't want the ball. Whilst Wilf is out, should we be bringing Mendy back in to be the defensive midfielder? I realise that he cannot replicate what Wilf is able to do, but I am not sure Hamza has the experience and physicality to be able to what Wilf does.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Mendy was the like for like replacement, I would have played Choudhury as a deputy for Tielmans.

Tbf i originally thought hamza was the like for like but he certainly didn't look it yesterday.

Mendy most likely is but he's too good to play second fiddle and with his contract, wobt do beyond this season. So there's another area that needs looking for in the transfer market if hamzas wasnt just an off day (still hopeful it was as the test of them were shit also)

23 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Having now watched it from that angle. Neither am I. 🤣

Still god damn frustrating having so many goals disallowed in one game. 

There was a time i was going to bite and tell you to get over it so im glad you have 😂

(Plua some other pithy remark about the wheels falling off your famed optimistic bus, so im gald you saved me from that 😂😘🤞)

• Haha 1

Has Claude Puel taken over Brendan Rogers???

We've gone back to the slow, monotenious Puel style of play.

Personally, I think the players are behaving like snow flakes and need to man up and take the responsibility.  The last few games has shown that there are a few that are not giving there all.  It shows when we make 9 changes to the team, and those comming in giving there all.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mikw said:

I agree. We've seen this before. It seems to be a head problem. Ranieri had the same at the end of his tenure. then Shakespear made the players happy and they were great....for a bit. Then Puel, and they were great....for a bit..... Then Brendan.....and they were great......for a bit longer.

We do go into these funks which we can't get out of. But when we do, we click again

Absolutely. There's no denying the pattern there.

I just hope that we click again very, very soon and that Brendan is finally able to solve this mental problem.

2 hours ago, Suffolk exile said:

One of the biggest things (going back to the Norwich game) is the drop in intensity & pace in the entire team. 

Everything seems so very slow, deliberate and frankly predictable.  

I guess, this when we see just how good Rodgers really is. This when he proves he is a top coach. I would go as far as to say that the following are out of form and as a consequence out of confidence;

Chilwell

Youri

Barnes

Perez

How does it he get them 'back'? 

Yesterday the biggest miss was Wilf. Hamza for most of the match was positioned as if he really didn't want the ball. Whilst Wilf is out, should we be bringing Mendy back in to be the defensive midfielder? I realise that he cannot replicate what Wilf is able to do, but I am not sure Hamza has the experience and physicality to be able to what Wilf does.

Yes, this is definitely the part where we see how good Brendan really is. Ndidi's injury can't be relied upon as an excuse either as all the big clubs have been able to compensate to a satisfactory degree when one of their 1st team gets sidelined. So we shouldn't be any different if we are to be a credible top 4 team.

I hope I'm wrong but this current patch of form, over 6 or 7 games is starting to remind me of David O' Leary's Leeds of the early 2000s.

On 11/01/2020 at 17:23, Bevan said:

I don’t get why everyone’s making out that Southampton were really good. They were definitely the better team and deserved the win but we were absolutely atrocious. They were just better than we were which wasn’t hard

They hit the bar twice and both posts? (At least one)

We all acknowledge schmeichel is good and had one of his best games.

So an inch out each time and it coupd easily have been 5 or 6 -1.

We also acknowledge thst we battered newcastle and villa in our high scoring games.

5 or 6 -1 is a battering. They were good. We were also bad.

(Back on topic instead of dismantling this post, the annoying thing is we still could have won quite easily with a couple of passes on target. Ergo, even at our worst we are still a decent team and mot that far away. Fine margins and all that)