Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

City 1-2 Saints Post Match

22 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I see one more person blaming the carabaou cup :S beggars belief.

If we can’t manage a couple of extra games where we play not even all of our first team what’s the point in even trying to qualify for Europe when that is probably going to add 8 games to our fixture list, minimum, plus we won’t be given the luxury of opponents either being well below our level or resting players themselves.

May as well sack it now if we can’t cope with the league cup and the league.

I think it's a combination of things - there's the physical exertion, but then I think it's the time available to prepare for the next match. When we are mixing and matching the line up (as we have had to do) its difficult as players aren't as sure of what they are meant to be doing. Like the last match when Chilwell looked completely lost when he was playing wing back, like he really didn't know what he was meant to be doing. When we were doing well this season, everyone was very assured of their positioning. They are young players, and Brendan hasn't been with us a year yet to have worked on these things. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I think it's a combination of things - there's the physical exertion, but then I think it's the time available to prepare for the next match. When we are mixing and matching the line up (as we have had to do) its difficult as players aren't as sure of what they are meant to be doing. Like the last match when Chilwell looked completely lost when he was playing wing back, like he really didn't know what he was meant to be doing. When we were doing well this season, everyone was very assured of their positioning. They are young players, and Brendan hasn't been with us a year yet to have worked on these things. 

I dunno, the lineup today is a system we’ve been using all all year with familiar personal and even the changes were like for like, so doesn’t wash for me, today at least. You could probably make that claim against Villa but not a valid excuse for today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Normally agree with you. But not on this one. I'm fed up of teams fouling let right and centre to break up our play and getting away with it!! Was the same against Villa on Wednesday. It started at Man City and every team since has done it to us. Preventing us from playing football. 

I can't stand anti-football. It should be punished more harshly. 

I agree that tactical fouling is awful but I thought Southampton played very well today - very harsh to describe them as being anti football in my view. They had 3 times as many shots as us, hit the woodwork twice and but for Kasper would have won more convincingly. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I dunno, the lineup today is a system we’ve been using all all year with familiar personal and even the changes were like for like, so doesn’t wash for me, today at least. You could probably make that claim against Villa but not a valid excuse for today.

Our regular line up in midfield has been Youri Wilf and Maddison. Today it was Praet Hamza and Maddison. It's not just about being used to playing with each other though is it, it's knowing what your job is in a specific match. Interestingly the match we did win most convincingly recently against West Ham we learned that Brendan had been working on a line up for that match weeks in advance - it showed. 

Today was dreadful but not a surprise. Our form has been slumping for a while.

I think there are lots of reasons. Fatigue, Tielemans form dropping, teams sussing out that we hate being pressed, Rodgers at times tinkering a bit too much etc etc etc.

The constant has been the ineffectiveness of our wide players. Southampton, like Villa, flooded the middle to force us out wide. Problem is that we have Championship quality wide players. We need to address that, somehow, soon. 

I also wonder whether it’s time to protect some of the younger players and take them out of the firing line for a couple of weeks. Chilwell in particular is so devoid of confidence it’s alarming.

I’m trying not to let today bother me too much, as the season on the whole has been incredible, but it’s hard to watch us at the minute when we know how good we can be.

I think the 8 days until Burnley will do us the world of good.

• Like 1

Maddison was very poor today.

we also seemed to miss Ricardos attacking threat.

after looking dynamic attacking in the first -15 odd games we are starting to look one dimensional.

im starting to notice players do the same thing today as they did under Puel.

when in possession players are shrugging their arms like their isn't a forward pass on.

so knock it backwards. 

Take away the fact we are second. If it was the first game of the season we would be livid. It wasnt a great performance at all Southampton were better than us but we shouldn't have let them be! We miss ndidi immensely! Hopefully I'm wrong but its going to be a tough few weeks!

Southampton were fantastic today.. Gave us a right going over.. Each one of their players wanted it more than us.

Yes they had a point to prove after the 9-0 drubbing but that makes it even more disappointing that we weren’t up for the fight ourselves. 

Our passing is becoming slower, almost Puel like again and we are very predictable.

We will come back strong I hope.

We need to find a formation and stick to it as the players don’t seem to know their jobs at times

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Maddison was very poor today.

we also seemed to miss Ricardos attacking threat.

after looking dynamic attacking in the first -15 odd games we are starting to look one dimensional.

im starting to notice players do the same thing today as they did under Puel.

when in possession players are shrugging their arms like their isn't a forward pass on.

so knock it backwards. 

I’ll keep saying it .....players are ‘hiding’ from offering themselves in a tight space because they worry that they won’t control it and make the quick pass to break the press.  We seem to have lost our confidence when trying to play out against Man City and Liverpool ..... perspective needed!  We have a free week to get this sorted in training. 

without players showing for that quick pass into midfield and then a further fast short one, we look like we did under puel .....side to side with little forward penetration when there should be space to play into. 

• Like 3

Ricardo is our best player, along with Evans, both consistently perform to a high level. I think Man City and Liverpool has killed us, to go from beating everyone to getting smashed by those two has really hit us hard...

For next week I’d drop Barnes, Perez, Hamza and Chilwell and bring in Fuchs, Mendy, Gray and Albrighton. 

Hamza is a top lad, and a good player but at this moment we need someone disciplined to stay in that pivot role and keep things ticking. Hamza will learn this as his experience grows but he chases after the ball far too much which leaves the defence exposed.  

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ftfagos said:

Whoever decided to play the 0-9 before the game needs to apologise to us & Soton. Disgraceful show of disrespect &

may have made a difference to some of their players.

Said the same thing at the time, ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ian S said:

Said the same thing at the time, ridiculous.

I thought the same too, absolutely bonkers!!

plus having Steve Walsh mention if we win by 3 goals, we will achieve the premier league aggregate record, on the big screens whilst their players were warming up.

madness 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Does no-one think it is as simple as - we don’t like the press? 
Both Villa and Saints today pressed us quite hard, as did Pool, but that’s just Pool.

We struggled with Norwich’s energy too.

Man City, well, they sort of did, but still on their day, they are the best in the league 

Pool 🤮

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

I thought the same too, absolutely bonkers!!

plus having Steve Walsh mention if we win by 3 goals, we will achieve the premier league aggregate record, on the big screens whilst their players were warming up.

madness 

I don’t think that would have happened in the past ... maybe some of the new recruits in the media dept have turned all  billy big bollocks - we need to let them know that this isn’t the Leicester way. They probably aren’t fans anyway, just doing a job ! 

Been hugely poor at home for a while. Southampton battered us today, liverpool did before, as did Norwich. Rodgers needs to start earning his corn. Been erratic with selections for too long now. Fan boys need to wake up. We arent a top 4 side we know that. Top 6 about right but by christ lay a glove on the struggling sides. 

This isn't a criticism before folk start, it's a realism

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

We're a very good side against poor teams who don't want to play.

Any time we have to battle we are found wanting.

I wouldn't say anytime we have to battle, i think it's just whenever a team plays half decent at least, we don't know what to do. 

17 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Been hugely poor at home for a while. Southampton battered us today, liverpool did before, as did Norwich. Rodgers needs to start earning his corn. Been erratic with selections for too long now. Fan boys need to wake up. We arent a top 4 side we know that. Top 6 about right but by christ lay a glove on the struggling sides. 

This isn't a criticism before folk start, it's a realism

Well we are a top 4 side and we are 11 points above the team in 5th so we are well in the top 4. What is a top 4 side then? Man u? spurs? arsenal in 10th?

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Our regular line up in midfield has been Youri Wilf and Maddison. Today it was Praet Hamza and Maddison. It's not just about being used to playing with each other though is it, it's knowing what your job is in a specific match. Interestingly the match we did win most convincingly recently against West Ham we learned that Brendan had been working on a line up for that match weeks in advance - it showed. 

IF they didn't know what their job was and it's a big if, there's only one bloke to blame. I don't think it's quite that simple though.

2 hours ago, rachhere said:

Sorry, their professional footballers part of a squad that work together day after day week after week, I’m not having the fact one defensive midfielder came in for another defensive midfielder and one more attacking midfielder who’s  had a fair bit of game time recently and was one of the few who played well today, came in for another similar player and neither were up to speed on the game plan, we’ve used that game plan today more than any other this season.

They watch every single game live and get shown it again and again every in the week following every game. There is absolutely no excuse for any member of that 25 man squad coming into that system not knowing their role inside and out. We had the same keeper, same back four, same forward line.  Rodgers planned weeks in ahead to make 9/10 odd changes and play a different way for West Ham, this is two, like for like , minor adjustments  to a season long approach that only differs in minor aspects depending on who we are playing. The fundamentals remain largely the same.

Hamza was a shadow of Ndidi at his best today but I think we are barking up the wrong tree if we think he’s going to match Wilfs performance levels  and that’s nothing to do with briefing. He’s just nowhere near as good as Ndidi and that’s not going to change and will be an issue until he is fit again. Aside from that our problems were elsewhere is Praet was largely alright. Chillwell was awful, Soyunchu was far from his usual assured self, Maddison again looked lifeless, Vardy is only ever useful when given things to work with and he was given precious little, Perez one great ball for the goal aside was just crap, Barnes is starting to look like he’s actually not up to this level of football full stop never mind form problems.

But this is all by the by anyway the point remains the same, whether it be physical fatigue or lack of prep things are going to be no different if we are playing European football, the games come quick fast and changes will be made far more regularly, players aren’t going to get game plans weeks in advance if we are playing in the champions league as it’s just not feasible. If we can’t cope with a couple of extra games in search of some silverware we may as well not bother trying to qualify for Europe.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 3