Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

City 1-2 Saints Post Match

On 11/01/2020 at 17:24, jim5000 said:

3 goals chalked off for offside, a little bit more concentration and that would be 4-2.

Their penalty that was denied for VAR was a joke tho, should have stood.

The heavy winter schedule has caught up with us. Chillwell knackered, would prefer to have Fuchs in for a few games.

Their penalty that was denied was in line with how the premier league use var so in that context it shouldnt have stood.

The fact that they have been warned that they are using it wrong is another thing, where it would and "should" have stood but there's another argument that if we used var properly we would also expect the linesmen to do their job in relation to offsides.

The beauty of it for me is that we now get more info on var and they proved why we shouldn't cos they are so shit at using it.

"Checking for penalty - foul

Var check complete - no penalty - off ****ing side, which apparently was jot even why they were checking it.

Var isn't the problem in  itself. The fa have just found a unique way of ****ing that up as well.

Edited by gw_leics772

On 11/01/2020 at 17:43, dmayne7 said:

I think the position we find ourselves in the league and cups is far better than most of us even hoped for. Everyone involved deserves immense credit for that and it's easy for us to forget that.

But I have to say that was one of the most gutless performances I've seen from us in a long time. VAR, Kasper and the woodwork saved us being on the end of the scoreline that we deserved. Couldn't string 2 passes together but then decided we'd try to do that in the 95th minute. And to compound matters we didn't even have the Sunday league level knowledge to stick a centre half up top for the last 5 mins and at least try to get a goal that way.

It's been a fantastic season but that was a real horror show. Got to show a big reaction from that.

Pretty sure evans had a goal disallowed in the last 5 minutes. 

Apart from that i agree.

On 11/01/2020 at 17:47, dooflip said:

Fed up of this sht.

been like it for what seems like months now.

we went from being one of the best sides in the league to not turning up. The effort just isn’t there.

we don’t press. There’s no urgency. We have no ideas going forward. No passion. I’m ashamed of our team and have been since Everton/Watford at home sort of time. We’ve been awful since that.

something needs to change.

would be considering accepting big bids for most of the squad at the moment with how pathetic they’ve been. Cash in while we can.

I was with you up until "no passion" but apart from "something needs to change" that second half. Ie your reaction to it, comes across as one of the most petulant and entitled knee jerk responses seen to date.

Good work fella

• Like 2

First and foremost we need to adapt our style when sides press high. It screwed Rodgers in his final days at Liverpool too when virtually every goal they conceded was self-inflicted, and often a result of being over-elaborate. I read a good article the other day suggesting that the trend of building from the back wasn't necessarily favouring sides outside of the elite. I hope we don't become a case in point. And I hope he isn't too stubborn on this point. His post-match comments yesterday suggested that he isn't.

Beyond that I wonder whether we're persisting too much with the four attacking mids from our typical 4-1-4-1 - Maddison, Barnes, Perez, Youri. Granted, the latter was omitted yesterday (and - importantly - I think those who felt we missed him should remember that we certainly didn't miss the sorts of performances he's put in over the past month). Playing all four seems like a bit of 'creative over-kill' when the game gets more physical.

The toying with two CFs and a back three leads me to wonder whether we'll see a reemergence of the 'Great Escape' 3-4-1-2 formation, whereby we'd probably only select 1 or 2 of the aforementioned. Pick two from Mendy, Praet, Choudhury, Youri. And one from Maddison, Perez, Barnes, Gray etc.

Whether we explore new solutions or not, I'd like to see Maddison and Perez showing a lot more robustness, Barnes being given a rest, and Chilwell either sorting himself out or getting dropped for Justin or Fuchs. And I hope everyone has noticed that the only thing which has made our past month anything other than a debacle was the re-introduction of fringe players and tweaks to formation post Xmas, which suggests that our first eleven, or perhaps our system - and not a lack of depth - is behind our current slump.

(Apologies for the quote box below which has presented itself and doesn't want to go away.)

• Like 2

On 11/01/2020 at 18:16, Ceirboy said:

This result was seen about two weeks ago. This insistence on passing around the halfway line when a ball over the top will do is starting to annoy me. 
second half of the season requires an element of mixing it up a bit. 
Vardy is looking as isolated as he was under Claude. 
The balls back to Evans are bordering on ridiculous. 
Brendan. I’ve got your back for now but you need to start being a little less predictable! 

This, but even more so for me os the passing it out from the back every single time, regardless of the fact it hasnt worked the last 10 times.

Ive heard rodgers say that lmhitting it long os a 50/50 ball at best but with vardy being one of the best at 50/50's we really should be mixing it up.

And mixing it up is the way out of this imo. And not game to game but in-game.

Villa at home, Madison's corners were atrocious, gave tielemans one and it was the best of the night, but yesterday even when tielemans came kn and was mich improved (albeit for a short time) we still had to endure maddisons continued shite corners.

I just dont understand why the blindingly obvious from the stands is so hard for them to see either from the bench or the pitch. Is it only age that lets me know if im having a shit day at work so not to try to do the difficult stuff, or do these footballers really think that if they keep doing the same shit, they will somehow get a different result?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

Oh bugger, i might have jumped the gun, please go to my previous reply 😂

Tbf, I did say it was hard to tell. The VAR replay they showed on highlights doesn't make it clear where he is. Evans definitely doesn't interfere with play. Hard to tell. So I'll give the lino the benefit of having a better view than the highlights showed. 

As for the bus comment. Nothing falling off, I'm the reverend of optimism. Doesn't mean I can't be furious about a very frustrating game of football. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

I don't know why I but I feel very nonchalant about this loss. Very peaceful. Strange.

Glad we have the whole week for Rodgers and the squad to rest, review and go again.

Think quite a few of our players are too lightweight and need to become more streetwise ...Maddison,Chilwell,Thielmans etc...Southampton out fought and out fouled us. A high percentage of their tackles were borderline fouls ..(reminded me of Stoke of a few seasons ago)...but i can understand why, their pride had taken a hit in the 9-0 and they were out there to make it up to themselves and their fans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

This, but even more so for me os the passing it out from the back every single time, regardless of the fact it hasnt worked the last 10 times.

Ive heard rodgers say that lmhitting it long os a 50/50 ball at best but with vardy being one of the best at 50/50's we really should be mixing it up.

And mixing it up is the way out of this imo. And not game to game but in-game.

Villa at home, Madison's corners were atrocious, gave tielemans one and it was the best of the night, but yesterday even when tielemans came kn and was mich improved (albeit for a short time) we still had to endure maddisons continued shite corners.

I just dont understand why the blindingly obvious from the stands is so hard for them to see either from the bench or the pitch. Is it only age that lets me know if im having a shit day at work so not to try to do the difficult stuff, or do these footballers really think that if they keep doing the same shit, they will somehow get a different result?

This argument/debate has been brewing for a while but our results kept it under lock and key. as soon as we start to lose a few it’s going to be front and centre. 

moving teams around earlier in the season worked as it tired them and opened up space in the midfield 

it’s not working at home anymore ..... they are cutting off passing lanes more effectively without doing all of the running ......better preparation.......add to that our drop in confidence and intensity and we aren’t finding the spaces to take the passes beyond the press

With a few minutes to go, it was probably worth punting it long diagonal into their corner so that we could put more pressure on them ......mind you, crosses into their box without Evans there looked pretty pointless 

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

This argument/debate has been brewing for a while but our results kept it under lock and key. as soon as we start to lose a few it’s going to be front and centre. 

moving teams around earlier in the season worked as it tired them and opened up space in the midfield 

it’s not working at home anymore ..... they are cutting off passing lanes more effectively without doing all of the running ......better preparation.......add to that our drop in confidence and intensity and we aren’t finding the spaces to take the passes beyond the press

With a few minutes to go, it was probably worth punting it long diagonal into their corner so that we could put more pressure on them ......mind you, crosses into their box without Evans there looked pretty pointless 

Too many tripping over their egos I suspect . Think why was Ferguson so successful? Even the best got their arises kicked when necessary.

Edited by An Sionnach

On 11/01/2020 at 17:02, RoboFox said:

Some of those boys are absolutely bang out of form, I’m afraid.

We were absolutely fvcking dire, and not for the first time in the last few weeks. It’s very worrying.

Also, the decision to play the goals from the 0-9 on the screens pre-match was an embarrassment. Whoever sanctioned that needs to give their head a big old wobble.

I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere (probably) but I don't want to trawl through pages of post match negativity but I was really, really suprised to see the 9-0 replayed on the big screens pre match.

Whether that helped Saints in their pre match motivation or not is debatable, but it certainly can't have helped us. Definately not a very "classy" thing to do for me.

They certainly seemed very fired up to beat us!

I enjoyed the game. Lots of shots, lots of "goals" overruled, action from the start to the end. 

Our players were not as bad as is being made out in this thread. 

I've watched thousands of more boring matches and games where we've won doing a lot less.

Guest An Sionnach
32 minutes ago, FIF said:

I enjoyed the game. Lots of shots, lots of "goals" overruled, action from the start to the end. 

Our players were not as bad as is being made out in this thread. 

I've watched thousands of more boring matches and games where we've won doing a lot less.

On an objective unbiased forum an excellent comment , but I am afraid they are a bit partizan around here.

I wouldn't necessarily say the team would have approached this with a "we beat them 0:9 so this will be a cake walk" attitude but some on the pre-match thread certainly had their cups overflowing with confidence without actually looking at form guides.
If they had they would have seen that prior to our game STH were actually the 4th best (in-form) team since us beating them with Ings scoring 10 in 13 or so games, the win over us now puts them 3rd best, we were just beaten by a team in better form on the day not necessarily better overal than us but We lose a game & players not 5 games ago being lorded as up there with the best in the premiership now not good enough.

To many on here make FM knee jerk reactions Hamza & Nacho for instance have good games & its play them from the start they deserve it & better than Praet/Perez (??)  then don't play a 9/10 game & its the end of them & we need to buy etc.

Many of the team got lambasted after the Villa game in the cup, probably again after our Lge win, but that game started & ended being a training session forwards  v defenders. Villa came with a game plan to sit deep keep it level & hope to get something from a set piece or counter attack which they did. Chilwell was singled out consistently but he had no where to go, if he tried to go down the wing he had 2 or 3 players onto him due to their system, therefore he had to go backwards or try & squeeze a pass through a very congested defence which 9 out 10 failed but even our most talented players only managed it a couple of times, again such was the system.

What seems to be lost on Football fans unlike Rugby Fan is sometimes you are just beaten by the better team On The Day, it doens't mean they are now better than you & that the team is falling apart, there is no need for over analysis & to dump players from the squad let alone to the bench especially when they are trying. I would agree if they had a couldn't careless attitude but none of them have that i can see, even Chilwell as i saw earlier in the thread someone posted his stats for passing etc but they failed to show that he had the most sprints out of both teams on Saturday, 20btw, doesn't look to me like he's given up because of head turning etc

Can we not as most of the annoyng pundits have said, chalk it off as a bad day at the office & move on?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Might get some flack for this, but I prefer Mendy to Hamza for the Ndidi role. He's done it before, he's a little savvier on the ball, and we can't afford to lose possession in the middle of the pitch.

Should play both as Ndidi is like two players! 

43 minutes ago, tylesta said:

Should play both as Ndidi is like two players! 

They should play both because neither are a replacement for N'Didi in that they have different strengths. Our squad is not suited to a 4-3-3 at the moment.

22 hours ago, inckley fox said:

First and foremost we need to adapt our style when sides press high. It screwed Rodgers in his final days at Liverpool too when virtually every goal they conceded was self-inflicted, and often a result of being over-elaborate. I read a good article the other day suggesting that the trend of building from the back wasn't necessarily favouring sides outside of the elite. I hope we don't become a case in point. And I hope he isn't too stubborn on this point. His post-match comments yesterday suggested that he isn't.

Beyond that I wonder whether we're persisting too much with the four attacking mids from our typical 4-1-4-1 - Maddison, Barnes, Perez, Youri. Granted, the latter was omitted yesterday (and - importantly - I think those who felt we missed him should remember that we certainly didn't miss the sorts of performances he's put in over the past month). Playing all four seems like a bit of 'creative over-kill' when the game gets more physical.

The toying with two CFs and a back three leads me to wonder whether we'll see a reemergence of the 'Great Escape' 3-4-1-2 formation, whereby we'd probably only select 1 or 2 of the aforementioned. Pick two from Mendy, Praet, Choudhury, Youri. And one from Maddison, Perez, Barnes, Gray etc.

Whether we explore new solutions or not, I'd like to see Maddison and Perez showing a lot more robustness, Barnes being given a rest, and Chilwell either sorting himself out or getting dropped for Justin or Fuchs. And I hope everyone has noticed that the only thing which has made our past month anything other than a debacle was the re-introduction of fringe players and tweaks to formation post Xmas, which suggests that our first eleven, or perhaps our system - and not a lack of depth - is behind our current slump.

(Apologies for the quote box below which has presented itself and doesn't want to go away.)

Building out from the back wasn’t necessarily favouring those outside the elite.

Nail on the head.

1. We can’t beat Man City / Liverpool playing this way more than 2 times out of 10 because their players are better.

2. We can’t play this way successfully when we are significantly pressed at the back against most PL teams.

Hence our present dilemma...over to you Ginger 

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

On 12/01/2020 at 20:48, gw_leics772 said:

I was with you up until "no passion" but apart from "something needs to change" that second half. Ie your reaction to it, comes across as one of the most petulant and entitled knee jerk responses seen to date.

Good work fella

.. the poster is just having a rant!! 

Sometimes people fail to recognise obvious short term emotions, without having to put the boot in. 

The post should have been taken with a pinch of salt, just getting something off his chest......!!