Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willie-bell-in-rothley

Obvious Time Wasting

Just now, dsr-burnley said:

To be fair, Bardsley missed last night's game because of that back injury.  We don't know whether he was exaggerating it, but he was definitely injured.  But yes, we do waste time, as do most other clubs, and the three miutes last Sunday was definitely shorter than it should have been - especially with the VAR.

My solution would be to change the law so that if a team is not taking their dead ball expeditiously - good word - the ref can give it the other way.  So if they don't take a throw-in it becomes a throw the other way, if they don't take a goal kick it becomes a corner, and so forth.  And it would cover things like one player moving slowly to the ball and then moving away to let someone else move slowly to the ball; standing pointing instead of taking the throw; slow goal kicks; kicking the ball in the wrong direction and walking slowly after it.  Anything that is obvious time wasting but a booking is too much of a punishment.

It would soon stop.

This is a good idea.

Burnley actually look like they practice time wasting - the game at the King Power earlier this season was a Pope masterclass in it (as opposed to the masterclass in goalkeeping he unfortunately gave last week...)

Every goal kick whilst you were winning or drawing was the same:

1) Pope takes a good few seconds to place the ball.

2) The full backs line up as if expecting a short pass. I’ll let you be the judge of if a short goal kick was ever in the realms of possibility. Predictably they are quickly marked.

3) Pope sees this but then runs up to kick it before gesturing that the players are marked and he couldn’t possibly give it to them. 
4) Pope does the big arm waving thing to send everybody forwards.

5) Pope takes another 10 seconds to kick the ball.

This happened about 8 times in a row, it wasn’t a coincidence. As others have said it’s a weapon in the arsenal of less wealthy teams to compete with teams worth 3-10 times as much and I don’t blame anybody for doing it.  But the refereeing of it is abysmal.

Tying boot laces at Burnley last week was a classic. The match should never be stopped for that. It's a farce.

Watching the body language change as soon as a team goes ahead or behind is getting more and more obvious. Burnley are without doubt the worse culprits. Their goal celebrations must be the longest ever. 

Time added on isn't even correct for genuine injuries, during last nights first half with the 3 injuries, play stopped for at least 6 minutes but only 4 minutes were added on.

Timings should be taken out of the referees hand and given to the 4th official.

Whilst I wouldn't argue with the Southampton result, there was 2 minutes added time at the end of the 1st half. 

Several VAR moments and an incredible celebration for Southamptons equaliser, which was a complete fluke, by their players, made 2 minutes added on a joke. 

• Like 1

Time added on most games should be 10 minutes minimum in the second half I'd imagine. Absolute no brainer to time waste really as it's yet another thing that the officials / authorities are just too inept to bother doing anything about. See also - bans for players caught diving (two players got punished then they just stopped?), walking off the pitch at the nearest point during a sub etc...

I am on board and accept that goalkeepers have a fine art at wasting time to as much as they can get away with (Kasper just as guilty so can’t complain).

What annoys me is when a player is substituted and the opposition goalkeeper waits the entire minute it takes for the substitution and once is told to resume then starts to place the ball ready to kick and begins the routine.

As many have already said, the big increase is now ‘injuries’. Never was there a more satisfying win than against Everton after their players dropped like flies only to recover just before the physio was waved on, having successfully broken up the play. 

Refs have gotten better at not stopping play unless a head injury but teams still have an expectation that you’ll put the ball out. Make it clear that the referee rules the game and that both teams will play to the whistle. The good example of this was the Watford Villa game where Grealish tried to play on whilst a villa defender was down and then when Watford recovered the ball demanded that they put it out. Good on Deeney for scoring.

12 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

This has been an issue since football began... it always will be. Even if the clock was stopped, it still stops a teams momentum.  

Exactly. Don't get the people who think this will magically go away if we stop the clock. It'll just make the game even more tedious.

We're 2-1 up and Burnley are hammering at our door with five minutes to go. It's been relentless for 10 minutes now and we're right under the kosh. The ball goes out for a goal kick, clock stops. Do people think Kasper will be rushing to lump it downfield and back into play just because the game isn't elapsing? He'll be milking every second to give us a breather and try to kill the aforementioned momentum.

The only way to stop time wasting is to actually have referees with the brevity to actually punish it. Not waiting till the third minute of four mins injury time to book him in a "that showed him and my bosses I took it seriously" show card.

16 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

To be fair, Bardsley missed last night's game because of that back injury.  We don't know whether he was exaggerating it, but he was definitely injured.  But yes, we do waste time, as do most other clubs, and the three miutes last Sunday was definitely shorter than it should have been - especially with the VAR.

My solution would be to change the law so that if a team is not taking their dead ball expeditiously - good word - the ref can give it the other way.  So if they don't take a throw-in it becomes a throw the other way, if they don't take a goal kick it becomes a corner, and so forth.  And it would cover things like one player moving slowly to the ball and then moving away to let someone else move slowly to the ball; standing pointing instead of taking the throw; slow goal kicks; kicking the ball in the wrong direction and walking slowly after it.  Anything that is obvious time wasting but a booking is too much of a punishment.

It would soon stop.

I quite like that idea, but would a defensive free kick in the box become a penalty? 

You would need a clear rule on what is time wasting and that is part of the problem. How long is too long? 10 seconds, 30 seconds? If the left back takes corners from the right it can be 10-20 seconds for the centre halves to trundle forwards and the kicker to get in position.

If I had to make a rule it would be 6 seconds after the ref blows his whistle to take the set piece, this allows teams to reorganise but gives the ref the facility to hurry teams up that are taking to long. (It could be 3 or 5 or 10 seconds I'm not sure yet but I've gone for 6 seconds after the 6 second rule for keepers).

It will almost definitely go the way of all the other initiatives and stop being implemented after a few months.

It is comfortably the thing I hate most about going to the football. It's become boring to talk about for my brother & I as we've been hating it for so long. It may be the case that we do it as well, that's not the point.

The OP talking about Burnley is a good example - they're probably the worst in the league for it. The ball must've only been in play for 3 or 4 minutes after they went 2-1 up against us last weekend. 'Clever', 'Just the way it is'. Fine - but can we just all accept that it's cheating and the officials do nothing about it?

The best example this year of referees not giving a shit about timewasting & general bad sportsmanship was Villa. As standard in a 90 min game you would expect a minimum of 3 mins added time with all 6 subs used. Against Villa the referee literally booked their goalie for timewasting in about the 60th minute, we scored a goal & Grealish spent 15 minutes on his arse! Outcome.....? 3 minutes added time. The bottom line is that unless the rules are changed (stop the clock when the ball goes out of play & reduce the lengths of the half) - it won't change.

Edited by daddylonglegs

Along with VAR time wasting is the thing that winds me up the most and the likes of Burnley are the biggest culprits.

As long as refs can't add up and continue to give 3 minutes added time when there should be about 6 or 7 minutes they'll continue to get way with it. 

My personal pet hates that refs seem to think are fine for players to get away with:

1. Keepers moving the ball to the other side of the goal to take goal kicks and then waiting an age, or pretending they don't know where the ball is after it's gone out for a goal kick.

2. Players handing the ball to another for throw ins, then pretending to drop it so they have to fetch it. Then pretending you don't have anyone to throw it to so you take an age,

3. Kicking the ball away when the ref's back is turned when you've given away a free kick.

4. Making out you're going to take a free kick, taking an age then miraculously changing your mind and leaving it for the keeper who is 30 yards away, who then moves the ball before taking another minute.

I could go on...

40 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I quite like that idea, but would a defensive free kick in the box become a penalty? 

You would need a clear rule on what is time wasting and that is part of the problem. How long is too long? 10 seconds, 30 seconds? If the left back takes corners from the right it can be 10-20 seconds for the centre halves to trundle forwards and the kicker to get in position.

If I had to make a rule it would be 6 seconds after the ref blows his whistle to take the set piece, this allows teams to reorganise but gives the ref the facility to hurry teams up that are taking to long. (It could be 3 or 5 or 10 seconds I'm not sure yet but I've gone for 6 seconds after the 6 second rule for keepers).

It will almost definitely go the way of all the other initiatives and stop being implemented after a few months.

I would think a defensive free kick in the box would become an attacking free kick on the edge of the box.  Possibly make it indirect, I'm not fussy.  

The thing about slow left backs taking corners is the bit about "expeditiously".  It's deliberately vague - my idea of how it might work in practice is if the ref thinks a team is not getting on with it - which at present happens in most games - he can warn them that he is on the ball.  From then on, they had better not dally.  They can move at normal game speed, but not slower.  I think it would be one of those rules not needed very often as long as refs were willing to apply it firmly.

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

I would think a defensive free kick in the box would become an attacking free kick on the edge of the box.  Possibly make it indirect, I'm not fussy.  

The thing about slow left backs taking corners is the bit about "expeditiously".  It's deliberately vague - my idea of how it might work in practice is if the ref thinks a team is not getting on with it - which at present happens in most games - he can warn them that he is on the ball.  From then on, they had better not dally.  They can move at normal game speed, but not slower.  I think it would be one of those rules not needed very often as long as refs were willing to apply it firmly.

That's the problem they have a directive and a course of action at the moment but they just don't take it. There are many ways of doing it but unless you have a set time and hard and fast rule refs will always bottle it. All of these directives about time wasting, diving, confronting the ref have come in, been upheld for a few months at most and then disappeared and we are no better off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

It is noticeably worse this season though.

Are you sure? Do you remember playing Neil Warnocks teams in the championship? 

If the ball wasnt in the air, it was in row z. And when you did go forward your attacker woukd get a chunk of his head taken off by the centre back.

29 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The worst I can remember was Portsmouth after Nugent put them one up in the first minute. 89 mins of time wasting followed. 

Remember his Sssssshhhhh to the Kop very vividly. I remember thinking why the **** are you winding opposition fans up like that you absolute tool. Then when he did it every week for us i absolutely loved it lol

• Like 1

The management of the club need to stress that we play on in all cases. I know some 'injuries' occur in breaks of play to lengthen them, but if we show a ruthless streak in the ones during play then we lay down a marker of intent. It might well curtail it a little.