Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willie-bell-in-rothley

Obvious Time Wasting

Im getting really racked off with all the obvious time wasting, last week at Burnley one of their players twice went down holding his back to try and stop the game and jumped up as soon as the play went in the opposite direction, goalkeepers taking their time at goal kicks and when having the ball in their hands as timed by Vardy against Southampton, throw ins, free kicks, players picking the ball up and running off with it dropping it further down the pitch when its not their free kick, the slow substitution walk off, walking to take a corner, it just goes on and on, the problem is its boring and although the referee stand and points at his watch you get a couple of mins instead of a lot more, i remember when players took the ball into the corner to waste time at least with the kicking pushing and shoving it was entertaining now i feel there is just to much of the boring side... What do you think

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

Im getting really racked off with all the obvious time wasting, last week at Burnley one of their players twice went down holding his back to try and stop the game and jumped up as soon as the play went in the opposite direction, goalkeepers taking their time at goal kicks and when having the ball in their hands as timed by Vardy against Southampton, throw ins, free kicks, players picking the ball up and running off with it dropping it further down the pitch when its not their free kick, the slow substitution walk off, walking to take a corner, it just goes on and on, the problem is its boring and although the referee stand and points at his watch you get a couple of mins instead of a lot more, i remember when players took the ball into the corner to waste time at least with the kicking pushing and shoving it was entertaining now i feel there is just to much of the boring side... What do you think

Just one of those things in football. I’m sure we’ve done it plenty over the years against the ‘bigger clubs’, especially the first year back after being promoted. Can be incredibly frustrating but take it as a compliment that teams like West Ham feel the need to do that at our place to stop the momentum.

1 minute ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Yep, seems such an easy, simple solution! Far too simple to ever be introduced!

Theres been some serious discussion about it, along with making each half 30 minutes long.

Sounds a big amount but the ball is out of play for a ridiculous amount of time (especially with the tactics you mention)

• Like 2

All teams do it including ourselves. In reality it is short-changing us, the paying customer. We want to see 90 minutes of football, nothing more and nothing less and I would urge the FA to take a leaf out of the Rugby League rule book whereby they have an Official Timekeeper who blasts a hooter when the full time has been played. That way you would take the responsibility away from the incompetent match officials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Stopping the clock instead of giving an incorrect amount of injury time would easily solve it.

Its so simple, I am lost as to why this does not occur?

Its almost like the authorities want to have some "space" in proceedings on the pitch, so as to allow officials to manage games so the result can be best serve the game's fee paying worldwide audience.....

Its dark down here.... :ph34r:

Don't want the clock stopping every time the ball goes out of play, but definitely for goal celebrations, injuries and substitution. 

It's up to the referee to dish out yellow cards for throw ins and goal kicks. And do it for second yellows too. Weirdly booking someone just takes more time out so players aren't bothered. 

Substitutions and injuries during the last 5 minutes definitely need clamping down on. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 1

Were just as guilty of it. 

Just remember we were the club that pit the final nail in the coffin for multi ball system because we were ****ers for it.

Kasper, when were winning kicks long to our full backs/wingers. Generally a 'shit' ball what's going out of play but it time wastes. Very very clever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Were just as guilty of it. 

Just remember we were the club that pit the final nail in the coffin for multi ball system because we were ****ers for it.

Kasper, when were winning kicks long to our full backs/wingers. Generally a 'shit' ball what's going out of play but it time wastes. Very very clever. 

Naaaa, not clever, you just give the ball back to the opposition! That's just Kasper not being precise! The clever thing to do is pass it out and pass it round the back 4 before going back to keeper.

I don't have issues with it as long as referees manage it properly and add on the relevant time at the end.

So many games you see the almost obligatory 3 mins added on when it should have been more.

3 mins I think it was at Burnley which was a joke.

Then often there is so much time wasted in injury time and never much more added on

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Naaaa, not clever, you just give the ball back to the opposition! That's just Kasper not being precise! The clever thing to do is pass it out and pass it round the back 4 before going back to keeper.

Its clever. Especially when we a triggers for our press and can win the ball back. 

Passing it around like you say could cause unnecessary pressure...

Not exactly the same but in a similar vein, the other trend that I have picked up lately is the attempt to get teams to put the ball out of play every time a player goes down. It seems to me that when a team loses possession, all they have to do is fall aover and then start screaming at the ref to stop the game, especially when there is a chance that the opposition may have a break on. TBF most refs do not fall for this too often. There is nothing in the rules that says you have to stop play for an injury. In 9/10 times the once the play has been pulled up or the ball put out, the player concerned makes a miraculous recovery almost immediately. Most players know instantly if another player on the filed is genuinely seriously hurt, and of course the ref is obliged to stop the game if they suspect any kind of head injury but this play acting should be stamped out. Not only is it a ploy to stop teams developing counter attacks but is also time waster. It does not help either when managers are constantly moaning that opposition players didn't put the ball out when they have a man down. I know that if a player receives treatment they must leave the field before being allowed to continue, they are invariably waved straight back on. Maybe if they had to wait until the ball next goes out of play, or say a minimum of two minutes whichever come first, they would be less keen to act like they have been dealt a mortal wound just to break up play. (and yes we are just as guilty sometimes)

1 hour ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

To be fair, Bardsley missed last night's game because of that back injury.  We don't know whether he was exaggerating it, but he was definitely injured.  But yes, we do waste time, as do most other clubs, and the three miutes last Sunday was definitely shorter than it should have been - especially with the VAR.

My solution would be to change the law so that if a team is not taking their dead ball expeditiously - good word - the ref can give it the other way.  So if they don't take a throw-in it becomes a throw the other way, if they don't take a goal kick it becomes a corner, and so forth.  And it would cover things like one player moving slowly to the ball and then moving away to let someone else move slowly to the ball; standing pointing instead of taking the throw; slow goal kicks; kicking the ball in the wrong direction and walking slowly after it.  Anything that is obvious time wasting but a booking is too much of a punishment.

It would soon stop.

• Like 2