Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Apologies as I'd be certain someone has already raised this point, but where the hell are these 80 year olds with underlying conditions catching it from? Surely these dudes aren't the most mobile or sociable? 

Since the outbreak I've been to work every day, City, to london office on the tube, Heathrow twice, Schiphol, Luton airport, a trade fair, kids at school.... presumably that's way more contact with folk than an old boy locked up 24/7 in a council old.folks home. So how comes they get it and I presumably haven't?

45 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Have a genuine need to go into town tomorrow as both my bank card and phone are both knackered and I'll need both for a prolonged shutdown clearly. 

Feel guilty going...

Don't feel guilty about doing something you need to do. You can go to the bank without creating too much risk. If you're worried just keep your distance from people, try not to touch anything unless you can't help and there should be minimal risk. The issue is created when people congregate together in tight spaces or don't follow good hygiene practices. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Apologies as I'd be certain someone has already raised this point, but where the hell are these 80 year olds with underlying conditions catching it from? Surely these dudes aren't the most mobile or sociable? 

Since the outbreak I've been to work every day, City, to london office on the tube, Heathrow twice, Schiphol, Luton airport, a trade fair, kids at school.... presumably that's way more contact with folk than an old boy locked up 24/7 in a council old.folks home. So how comes they get it and I presumably haven't?

You could have had it and shown no symptoms. It's apparently super common. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Think I read somewhere that around 80% of people who tested positive showed no symptoms at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Two things I'd point out. One you may have had it and have not displayed any symptoms at all which is very common and two I would guess the majority of cases are in younger, working age people but we just hear about the cases in older people which are rarer as they cause more problems. 

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

You might have it. Working in a uni in London I'm pretty sure I've either had it or it's going to break out in a couple of days, ala John Hurt in Alien. 

I don't know what counts as underlying health issues. Surely a large percentage of people over 70 have those? 

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Their young family, mostly. Asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic people who travel a lot like yourself. Visitors at their care home. We only notice that demographic more because they are the earliest to get ill and die. Mirrors what Italy saw - lots of old people dying at first, then the demographic gradually shifts younger with lots of people in their 50s in ICU.

If we're sat at home unable to do anything, with a mortgage break for 3 months, then is 80% a little too much to be paying everyone? We'll only need to pay for internet, tv, utilities and council tax. Will it not just cause a rise in inflation? How long is the 80% for, will it be re-evaluated after so many months? Haven't been watching the news all night so missed some key information.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If we're sat at home unable to do anything, with a mortgage break for 3 months, then is 80% a little too much to be paying everyone? We'll only need to pay for internet, tv, utilities and council tax. Will it not just cause a rise in inflation? How long is the 80% for, will it be re-evaluated after so many months? Haven't been watching the news all night so missed some key information.

I thought that too. Being paid 30 odd grand a year to tend the garden seems helluva lot of money to me.

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Was kinda my thinking.

How many of us have had this thing and dismissed it as a weird cold (no two colds are ever quite the same symptoms), flu or just run down with work. 

Tens of thousands of us at least, probably more. How many of us have had sore throats, runny noses or headaches in the past couple of months?

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We have to sort out the immediate problem. We can worry about inflation, recession later

• Like 1

Just now, Paninistickers said:

Was kinda my thinking.

How many of us have had this thing and dismissed it as a weird cold (no two colds are ever quite the same symptoms), flu or just run down with work. 

The thing is we're all looking back to the last three months and wondering. I had a mad cold three weeks ago, woke up with the sorest throat I've had in years. Put it down to drinking the night before. I doubt it was the 'c word' but who knows. I've spent the last three months in a uni with lots of students who went back to China at Christmas.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I'm usually all for merging threads but it feels like we could split this Coronavirus topic into different ones as it's all we're talking about.

Maybe one for the virus itself/health, another for the social impact and another for the implications on business/finance.

Or I might just be over complicating things.

It just feels bigger than one thread atm.

This topic could have it's own forum.

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc

How can I take any positives from all of this? Any suggestions what I can do for self improvement or anything like that. Difficult when everything's just so sh1t 

15 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Was kinda my thinking.

Not 100% but apparently you can contract it, not realise you have it but still pass it on. Therein lies the power of the virus and could lead to why so many got it. Transferring it before realising you have it. Given the incubation period is 14 days, there's a high chance this could happen. 

1 minute ago, Harrydc said:

How can I take any positives from all of this? Any suggestions what I can do for self improvement or anything like that. Difficult when everything's just so sh1t 

Self improvement in what sense? Give back to the community, check in on neighbours, family or friends in the vulnerable category. Not everything is shit in this time. It's majorly different to how we'd wade through life normally. But perhaps seeing how quickly this thing can wipe through the countries across the world can make people realise not everything is about work. There are finer things in life. There's more to life than being overworked and underpaid and stressed to the brim. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Keep fit, do some exercise at home, binge on some tv series, play some video games, bonk your partner senseless and eat whenever you feel like it. It's a shit situation but that doesn't mean you've got to be sat inside, bored and depressed (If that's the right word to use) for 3 months.

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc
Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Keep fit, do some exercise at home, binge on some tv series, play some video games, bonk your partner senseless and eat whenever you feel like it. It's a shit situation but that doesn't mean you've got to be sat inside, bored and depressed (If that's the right word to use) for 3 months.

Thank you. 

Regarding the government grant today, does anyone know what this means for people on 0 hour contracts? My work has told me my services are no longer needed at this time, and being behind on rent isn't helping and haven't heard anything yet about being paid for anything.. Its not that I want to be paid for nothing, just I'm not needed. 

9 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Learn new skills. They will come in handy. I am having to learn all sorts of online teaching skills which is a pain in the arse, but I need to and I know somewhere down the line a potential job may depend on how competent I am in it