Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwibv4SPoqroAhWzURUIHRGnAUEQyCkwAHoECBMQBQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dqt_OkgSOrkU&usg=AOvVaw2fjWu0rxSPUFBMFE0nsYU_

Don't ditch it off for Celine Dion, It's a beautiful song with a message of hope and faith in these difficult times. And the guy sang in our stadium. Legend. Had me in tears. Fast forward to 2 min 50secs to avoid the syrupy crap and get to the song itself

Edited by Parafox

Work today wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I think being in a chilled warehouse we arent getting orders quite as heavy as the rest. But what I would say is those looking for work, a lot of shops around my way (south leicestershire), aldi coop etc are taking people on, just give your details in store. Also the warehouses in magna park are getting desperate and hiring on short term (4 weeks) potentially leading to full time. The asda warehouses pay quite well for the type of work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, String fellow said:

Holding the Cheltenham Festival was lunacy, and the Japs still seem to think that the Olympics will happen. Clearly lunacy is a worldwide thing.  

Good to see you on here with your extra time away from football, Jamie!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If we're sat at home unable to do anything, with a mortgage break for 3 months, then is 80% a little too much to be paying everyone? We'll only need to pay for internet, tv, utilities and council tax. Will it not just cause a rise in inflation? How long is the 80% for, will it be re-evaluated after so many months? Haven't been watching the news all night so missed some key information.

Nobody will want to go back to work! 

1 minute ago, bmt said:

Yeah if you do everything we haven’t done you’re still probably ****ed, but not as bad as we are ****ed 

But that’s the point, we haven’t done it and where we have, it’s definitely not early enough. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51970379

All reasonably obvious stuff that has been discussed on here already, but all in one place.

Pretty much everything I’ve said in this thread then which has been met with nothing but pointless jokes and confused emojis then.

There in lies the problem I guess, ah well, plenty of food in my freezer, best of luck to the rest of you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

Pretty much everything I’ve said in this thread then which has been met with nothing but pointless jokes and confused emojis then.

There in lies the problem I guess, ah well, plenty of food in my freezer, best of luck to the rest of you.

It’s to do with the government not the people in this thread. Until today they’ve been pathetic.

good luck to you

7 minutes ago, bmt said:

It’s to do with the government not the people in this thread. Until today they’ve been pathetic.

good luck to you

Nah this threads been full of people backing the governments actions and downplaying the impact this virus will have.

And they should be hanging their heads.

Edited by Dario_Rodriguez_

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think the US’s numbers will make everyone else look like amateurs. Their obese population is going to get annihilated.

I sincerely hope not - my fear is that it will simply end up being mostly poor people there who cannot or feel they cannot access the care they need due to the likely cost.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

Nah this threads been full of people backing the governments actions and downplaying the impact this virus will have.

I agree but the government has infinitely more information than they do, let’s pull together to tackle it now 

18 minutes ago, bmt said:

I agree but the government has infinitely more information than they do, let’s pull together to tackle it now 

No not really a reasonably intelligent person could see this was a shit storm in  the making from the moment it got out of control  in Italy and the sad thing was we still had people in here burying their heads in the sand comparing it to seasonal flu 5 days ago, and these were probably the same people clearing the shelves at Sainsbury’s in the latter half of this week causing the problem they were falsely bemoaning a few days before. I’ve said before the data is very clear from the supermarkets, buying a bit more is fine over time as we have stock. Clear the shelves first thing in the morning you create a supply chain issue and this is how we end up with NHS professionals walking down empty isles at 7pm in the evening with literally nothing left for them to buy.

Agreed though, Boris should of got a grip earlier and the buck stops with him. Hopefully this first spike we experience won’t be too severe.

Edited by Dario_Rodriguez_
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, String fellow said:

This has lots of sobering information, taken from an American perpective.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Very well written, as is his previous article.

Incredible to think how a scientific paper based on clearly faulty assumptions is going to cost the lives of many thousands.

Edited by brucey

8 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Have a genuine need to go into town tomorrow as both my bank card and phone are both knackered and I'll need both for a prolonged shutdown clearly. 

Feel guilty going...

Both can be sorted from home though 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've gone through some figures relating to the number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 for London and us here in the Midlands.  I'll confess that my source is Wikipedia and that the figures in the chart aren't quite perfect as the number of confirmed cases in London is officially 1588 (+21)  and in the Midlands it's 389 (+8).  These numbers wouldn't make a huge difference to the curves though.  Day 1 on the chart is 31/1/20 which is when the UK confirmed its first case.  Day 50 was yesterday.  To me, it looks like we in the Midlands are slightly behind London in that they are really ramping up the curve.  Ours is starting to get steeper but it looks to me that we might be around a week behind their rate of infection?

A couple of reasons to be slightly more optimistic (unless you live in London).  The headline figures in the media show the whole of the UK figures.  London accounts for approximately 40% of all cases.  Clearly the government is worried about the overall figures, but the restrictions put in place regarding the social distancing advice, self-isolation, closing the schools and now the measures to close social venues are aimed at stemming the tide, particularly in London.  This has a desirable effect of placing those same restrictions on the rest of the country at the same time, where the numbers are much lower.  When they talk about flattening the curve, these measures are now more likely to have a greater effect outside of London.   

Social distancing is also more effective in the Midlands just through population density.  There are approximately 10.5 million people living in the Midlands, spread over 11,000 sq miles.  Contrast that to London's 8.9 million people squashed into 607 sq miles.

And we are one day closer to the end of all this than we were yesterday.

781347713_Covid-19Chart.png.09cff0f67ddc4a20ef383a601d086e35.png

• Like 4