Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

8 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Have a genuine need to go into town tomorrow as both my bank card and phone are both knackered and I'll need both for a prolonged shutdown clearly. 

Feel guilty going...

You can still leave the house though. You can go shop, you can go to the bank. Just avoid being in crowds, be clean after touching anything. I need to go and pick up a prescription and some cat litter today. If I don't go out I'm gonna get ill and my cats gonna shit all over the house. Shops are still open. We generally pop in and out of shops or wander round, we're not stand around breathing on each other for long periods of time, like we do in pubs and clubs.

You'll be fine, just be sensible

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I wonder how long this supermarket madness can go on for. Freezers and cupboards only have a finite amount of space in them after all.

Was reading that even in the shitshow that is Italy the panic buying stopped when the supermarkets managed to speed up getting stuff onto the shelves and people realised there was no point

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I wonder how long this supermarket madness can go on for. Freezers and cupboards only have a finite amount of space in them after all.

Was reading that even in the shitshow that is Italy the panic buying stopped when the supermarkets managed to speed up getting stuff onto the shelves and people realised there was no point

I fear we'll never get to that point of calm. In this country it's too tense and divisive. Too much of a feel from some people that only they matter so only they must be able to get what's needed. 

48 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

No, just don't feel like I should be going out.

Like I said in my earlier post, you can leave the house. You can visit a shop. There's barely any supermarket delivery slots left, if you never go out, you'll starve. Just take sensible measures, wash your hands, use contactless payments if possible. If you see someone coughing, run.

7 hours ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

Nah this threads been full of people backing the governments actions and downplaying the impact this virus will have.

And they should be hanging their heads.

Something seriously needs to change about the way people engage with experts.

I was part if the 500 so behavioural scientists that signed the letter to the govt about social distancing. No one really asked about why we signed that letter, we were just dismissed as knowing Jack all about the current crisis because we're not experts on diseases. 

Most people on that letter didn't sign because we thought we were better than the disease modellers about knowing the likely spread of the virus. We signed because we know how to instigate behaviour change, and the incremental steps that our govt, France etc are taking are not particularly effective. 

2 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Something seriously needs to change about the way people engage with experts.

I was part if the 500 so behavioural scientists that signed the letter to the govt about social distancing. No one really asked about why we signed that letter, we were just dismissed as knowing Jack all about the current crisis because we're not experts on diseases. 

Most people on that letter didn't sign because we thought we were better than the disease modellers about knowing the likely spread of the virus. We signed because we know how to instigate behaviour change, and the incremental steps that our govt, France etc are taking are not particularly effective. 

But you didn't even need to be scientist to know that or to stop people coming in from affected countries without at least testing them. But we all know why they didn't because they wanted people to get in the name of herding.

Sadly it would seem the horse has bolted.

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I fear we'll never get to that point of calm. In this country it's too tense and divisive. Too much of a feel from some people that only they matter so only they must be able to get what's needed. 

Whilst I think that's true, I also think that the general populace have the attention span of a gnat and although they may be focused on this for now, as soon as the 'novelty' (struggling to think of a better word) of the situation wears off they will wonder what the hell they were doing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and probably be proved wrong, but unless something goes badly wrong on the supply side this situation will ease in the next week or two I reckon.

Just try not to take a dump in the meantime

I've just remembered this from my early childhood there where plenty of variations but this is the most appropriate

In days of old
When men were bold
And paper wasn't invented
They wiped their ass
With blades of grass
And walked away contented.

:ph34r:

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, davieG said:

But you didn't even need to be scientist to know that or to stop people coming in from affected countries without at least testing them. But we all know why they didn't because they wanted people to get in the name of herding.

Sadly it would seem the horse has bolted.

Hindsight is powerful.   I was concerned that we kept allowing folk in from china or Italy etc with no tests or any std quarantine period.  

The way to save lives is to keep the infection rate low so nhs is not overwhelmed.   We should close boarders and reduce social contact  .

The infection rate figures are more dependent on the availability of test and testing policy .  Deaths are a function of the level of infection in the community and to some extent the quality that health service can deliver.

I hope that over the next week we start to see the deaths in Spain come down as the impact of their social lockdown comes into play 

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

Here's a thought

Chart showing the estimated death toll from coronavirus in different scenarios

Would these people be dying anyway?

The figures for coronavirus are eye-watering. But what is not clear - because the modellers did not map this - is to what extent the deaths would have happened without coronavirus.

Given that the old and frail are the most vulnerable, would these people be dying anyway?

Every year more than 500,000 people die in England and Wales: factor in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the figure tops 600,000.

The coronavirus deaths will not be on top of this. Many would be within this "normal" number of expected deaths. In short, they would have died anyway.

It was a point conceded by Sir Patrick at a press conference on Thursday when he said there would be "some overlap" between coronavirus deaths and expected deaths - he just did not know how much of an overlap.

My daughter is now on the upside of this ......I’m a few days behind her. The rest of my family will no doubt come down with this over the next week but their ages and no underlying conditions (apart from one with mild asthma)  means I’m not unduly concerned. Infact, I’m feeling strangely positive that once we have had this, the general situation out there will be pretty dreadful and we can get out and about to help local people who may need to be isolating. 

I have v mild asthma ....... slightly concerned that even though I only have a headache and fever, a more noticeable cough will develop which reveals the damage being done in my lungs.  Those of us who are of reasonable health would be at the front of the queue for nhs resources which will mean someone else isn’t ........ that’s going to be a heavy burden for some ......

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

Hindsight is powerful.   I was concerned that we kept allowing folk in from china or Italy etc with no tests or any std quarantine period.  

The way to save lives is to keep the infection rate low so nhs is not overwhelmed.   We should close boarders and reduce social contact  .

The infection rate figures are more dependent on the availability of test and testing policy .  Deaths are a function of the level of infection in the community and to some extent the quality that health service can deliver.

I hope that over the next week we start to see the deaths in soain come down as the impact of their social lockdown comes into play 

Well for many it wasn't hindsight.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

No not really a reasonably intelligent person could see this was a shit storm in  the making from the moment it got out of control  in Italy and the sad thing was we still had people in here burying their heads in the sand comparing it to seasonal flu 5 days ago, and these were probably the same people clearing the shelves at Sainsbury’s in the latter half of this week causing the problem they were falsely bemoaning a few days before. I’ve said before the data is very clear from the supermarkets, buying a bit more is fine over time as we have stock. Clear the shelves first thing in the morning you create a supply chain issue and this is how we end up with NHS professionals walking down empty isles at 7pm in the evening with literally nothing left for them to buy.

Agreed though, Boris should of got a grip earlier and the buck stops with him. Hopefully this first spike we experience won’t be too severe.

Out of interest How does Boris stop people panic buying, other than saying people stop panic buying? Please don't mention the army please.

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I hope that over the next week we start to see the deaths in soain come down as the impact of their social lockdown comes into play 

When all this started in china I remember the government talking about getting people back from there. Not just us, but other countries. I remember saying to my mum at the time that as sad as it is, leave them there. Bringing them back just escalates the spread. Theres obviously going to be the odd person sneak through, but earlier travel controls would have contained this. It not hindsight, its taking a tough decision to inconvenience a few in order to not have to make the extreme tough decision we're having to make now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

When all this started in china I remember the government talking about getting people back from there. Not just us, but other countries. I remember saying to my mum at the time that as sad as it is, leave them there. Bringing them back just escalates the spread. Theres obviously going to be the odd person sneak through, but earlier travel controls would have contained this. It not hindsight, its taking a tough decision to inconvenience a few in order to not have to make the extreme tough decision we're having to make now.

Unless there is a vaccine available within a few months, you are only delaying the inevitable ??.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Even people coming back from Italy were astounded that they weren't being tested but just nodded though.