Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

48 minutes ago, davieG said:

Here's a thought

Chart showing the estimated death toll from coronavirus in different scenarios

Would these people be dying anyway?

The figures for coronavirus are eye-watering. But what is not clear - because the modellers did not map this - is to what extent the deaths would have happened without coronavirus.

Given that the old and frail are the most vulnerable, would these people be dying anyway?

Every year more than 500,000 people die in England and Wales: factor in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the figure tops 600,000.

The coronavirus deaths will not be on top of this. Many would be within this "normal" number of expected deaths. In short, they would have died anyway.

It was a point conceded by Sir Patrick at a press conference on Thursday when he said there would be "some overlap" between coronavirus deaths and expected deaths - he just did not know how much of an overlap.

Now I'm no ostrich believe me but are these figures a little alarmist, we are what 6mths in since the virus was identified and with some countries stating they are now the other side of the peak and reintegration starting to happen, to a degree, but to date there have been 11k Global deaths, how do we go from that Global figure to 510k in UK alone even the 20K seems high as a direct result of a CV19 death surely.

Before I'm hounded for being part of problem with a carefree attitude let me tell you I use common sense and take heed of any advise, I have been WFH for the past 5 weeks, yes lucky in that I can, I self distance when I do go out, I have not panic shopped, I have not drank in a pub and only ate once in a restaurant in the past 2mths and I have done this even without being told by "The Man" 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Fvcking ridiculous :facepalm:
F2-A534-D7-0-BEF-4-BBF-8662-2-E99-FBB5-F

I’m not a million miles away from there. 
bit weird, though - I went to my nearest big Tesco at 5.50 this morning and was first in the queue. 
Shelves were pretty well stocked, plenty of fresh food (and toilet roll)! 

Was no busier than at Xmas. Saw some nice touches - lady in the queue gave a squirt of hand sanitizer to an older person nearby. 
Staff were pretty chipper, and people seemed to taking a bit of time to talk to them. 

I think the rationing of 2 items has helped - but the message clearly hasn’t got through to New Malden 🤷‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, Milo said:

bit weird, though - I went to my nearest big Tesco at 5.50 this morning and was first in the queue. 

Was no busier than at Xmas. Saw some nice touches - lady in the queue gave a squirt of hand sanitizer to an older person nearby. 
Staff were pretty chipper, and people seemed to taking a bit of time to talk to them. 

I think the rationing of 2 items has helped - but the message clearly hasn’t got through to New Malden 🤷‍♂️ 

But it'll all be gone by 8.30 judging by past experiences on here and other reports.

10 minutes ago, Milo said:

...and Christ knows that's bad enough.

That's one of the reasons I think this nonsense should be short lived - how can we, as a nation, sustain Christmas levels of shopping for weeks at a time?

You can only eat/store so much

Whilst I'm not overly concerned about the virus - for myself at least - I am starting to get a bit twitchy over the reaction to it. It's started to feel like a dystopian horror movie.

Just the other day 2 low flying army helicopters buzzed my rural village. This is incredibly uncommon and it left me wondering what is happening that we're not being informed of. 

7 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Won't go on for too long hopefully

- As parts of the production and supply line are down as critical workers

- The idiots who are panicking and buying far more of everything that they need will have filled their cupboards and freezers before too long

- The longer this goes on more and more people will calm down and buy less, and compromise on what they buy, and realise they don't need to just eat dried pasta

- Increase in demand for non-perishable items will see more production

- If this does become more rampant, more people will only go shopping if they genuinely need to

I reckon give it another 2-3 weeks and you'll be able to go to the supermarket and buy anything you genuinely need. May be a bit optimistic, but I went to a Co-Op off-licence and an Aldi. The only things I couldn't get that I wanted was plain rice (understandable), soap (understandable, but you can use shower gel if you need) and chicken but there was still plenty of stuff available to make normal dinners with.

Co-Op was quiet (head for small shops if you don't like crowds), Aldi was busy but everyone was acting normally - except one dickhead wearing rubber gloves and obviously buying 4x of everything that he'd normally buy. He'll realise in a few days that he's sick of yoghurt and his freezer is full of the damn stuff.

The hoarders will also be the sort that will wet themselves when the death toll starts jumping in 750s a day.Which it will.You won’t see them for dust then.

32 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Co-Op was quiet (head for small shops if you don't like crowds), Aldi was busy but everyone was acting normally - except one dickhead wearing rubber gloves and obviously buying 4x of everything that he'd normally buy. He'll realise in a few days that he's sick of yoghurt and his freezer is full of the damn stuff.

Why is he a dick head for wearing rubber gloves?

You are aware it transmits from hands to bodily fluids, ie eyes, nose and mouth.

Shopping trolleys are breeding grounds along with handles, rails, etc.

I went about my usual shop on Thursday wearing a pair of surgical gloves. Didn't come out with all I needed but hey ho.

Chances are  he has been everywhere to find stuff he needs, like that nurse on social media, or maybe has a large family, buying for elderly etc.

While I don't agree with panic buying idiots unless you asked him you don't know his circumstances, the idiots are the ones loading up with bog roll, tinned stuff, pasta etc. Hopefully it will be service as normal in a week or so for food.

9 minutes ago, promised land said:

Why is he a dick head for wearing rubber gloves?

You are aware it transmits from hands to bodily fluids, ie eyes, nose and mouth.

Shopping trolleys are breeding grounds along with handles, rails, etc.

I went about my usual shop on Thursday wearing a pair of surgical gloves. Didn't come out with all I needed but hey ho.

Chances are  he has been everywhere to find stuff he needs, like that nurse on social media, or maybe has a large family, buying for elderly etc.

While I don't agree with panic buying idiots unless you asked him you don't know his circumstances, the idiots are the ones loading up with bog roll, tinned stuff, pasta etc. Hopefully it will be service as normal in a week or so for food.

He wasn't a dickhead for the rubber gloves, but I doubt he usually buys yoghurts and flavoured water by the tray-load

4 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The more pictures and coverage there is of empty shelves, the more pictures and coverage there is of queues, and the more people bang on about panic buying, the more empty the shelves will be, the more queues there will be and the more panic buying from the previously sane there will be 

The media should start showing warehouses full of stock presuming they exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

There is a chance that in the London area, there may be a rigorous lockdown introduced ........... people are looking at their cupboards and seeing that they don’t have two weeks of supplies ......there hasnt been an effective explanation of how you would access groceries in the event of a lockdown and your household having to isolate for up to 14 days 

im relaxed because my daughter can go out next Wednesday

The first thing that will happen when London is (and it will) locked down. Is all the people infected or other wise will come scurrying up the country like a tidal wave.

Already got the perfect model of that in Italy.

Until army are brought in this lunacy of panic buying and not obeying some simple rules of dont be a selfish **** it will just continue.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Now I'm no ostrich believe me but are these figures a little alarmist, we are what 6mths in since the virus was identified and with some countries stating they are now the other side of the peak and reintegration starting to happen, to a degree, but to date there have been 11k Global deaths, how do we go from that Global figure to 510k in UK alone even the 20K seems high as a direct result of a CV19 death surely.

Before I'm hounded for being part of problem with a carefree attitude let me tell you I use common sense and take heed of any advise, I have been WFH for the past 5 weeks, yes lucky in that I can, I self distance when I do go out, I have not panic shopped, I have not drank in a pub and only ate once in a restaurant in the past 2mths and I have done this even without being told by "The Man" 

There have been more deaths than 11k due to China and Iran and no doubt other countries hiding deaths with unregistered cremations and mass grave burials, and not testing for covid after death.

Only China is over the initial peak, all other epidemics are either exponentially rising or just beginning to flatten (except South Korea, Taiwan, and other Asian countries that have managed to contain it from their experience with SARS). Meaning an incredible amount of deaths to come. And the (false) 11k figure is only that low precisely because countries have implemented these containment or suppression strategies.

I don't know what they modelled this on but it's likely on a "scenarios based on what we've done so far" which at the time was basically **** all, so the government has already ****ed us. This is the best we can hope for because they were so slow to react due to prioritising the economy.

But there's hope that our current knowledge isn't accurate. That the death rate may be lower (around 1%) due to lots of asymptomatic cases (recent study of Italian village showing 50-75% asymptomatic cases suggests this). But the 9% death rate in Italy overall is worrying. So we dont know enough yet.

But we do know there will be thousands of deaths in this country even if we have perfect lock down now.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

He wasn't a dickhead for the rubber gloves, but I doubt he usually buys yoghurts and flavoured water by the tray-load

I don’t but plenty of people buy stuff in the tray load. People who have a family of 2 parents and 3/4 kids do get through stuff fairly quickly. It might have been panic buying but it might not.

20 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

The first thing that will happen when London is (and it will) locked down. Is all the people infected or other wise will come scurrying up the country like a tidal wave.

Already got the perfect model of that in Italy.

Until army are brought in this lunacy of panic buying and not obeying some simple rules of dont be a selfish **** it will just continue.

It seems the plan is a self imposed lockdown.Stage by stage.Friends and family have gone from a fortnight ago of “It’s no big deal”to last weeks “Ok their might be something in this”Now they are taking it deadly seriously.This is before inevitable huge rises in the death toll.Im expecting the roads to be a lot quieter next week.I don’t think you will be seeing huge cues of people standing shoulder to shoulder either.

8 minutes ago, Lionator said:

My sister and her 'it's just the flu' boyfriend were straight out today, not a care in the world. Mightily concerning as our mum has one of the at risk diseases.  

I think this is why we need the army on the streets, the majority of the British public have the IQ of a shoe.

16 minutes ago, Lionator said:

My sister and her 'it's just the flu' boyfriend were straight out today, not a care in the world. Mightily concerning as our mum has one of the at risk diseases.  

That's the same everywhere Knighton Park packed this morning inc a football match

As for certain food products not being available, all that is required is to think outside the box.  

Don't have rice?  Plenty of risotto rice, picked that up, no problem.  Add in a couple of packets of chopped chorizo and pancetta and all of a sudden, from three tiny items, you've got enough for 4 meals.

As well as showing how dumb much of the UK is, these people that enjoy hoarding sprees are also not showing themselves up to be the most imaginative of cooks either.  lol