Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

6 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Been pretty much on lock down since Tuesday but due to the burglary so far today I’ve had contact with the following...

-cunting **** of a burglar has been in my house

-2x police men

-1x forensic examiner

-1x emergency door boarded upper (handed him my phone, he used it to cough on)

-2x neighbours who were helping me with CCTV (and coughing at me)

-1x family members who emphatically announces how much he enjoyed Cheltenham festival but came back with a cough.

Honestly, COV me up I’m ****ing done with this shit.

Sorry, really don't mean to sound facetious - but If you were on lockdown, how the hell did you get burgled? 

14 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

So 4 supermarkets (2 Tescos, a sainsburys and an aldi) but I've pretty much got what I needed. Ended up with eggs from caged hens which I wouldn't normally buy, but **** em, I needed eggs.

Seems to me from what I've seen, visit Melton Road, Narborough Road, Foleshill Road in Cov, and the independent shops are pretty well fully stocked particularly with fresh veg and fruit, herbs, spices and ingredients. The bog roll is really substandard but, in times of need...

Also went to Asda and put our weekly allowance of 3 bottles of Prosecco and 3 red wines in the basket only to be told that the limit of 3 meant 3 actual bottles of any type of wine. Had to surrender 3 bottles!

Edited by Parafox

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Sorry, really don't mean to sound facetious - but If you were on lockdown, how the hell did you get burgled? 

Could have been overnight?

@Izzy might know. He did it.

Edited by StanSP

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Do you think they only rob empty properties then? If they’re after your motor, they need you to be in. 

3 minutes ago, stix said:

Do you think they only rob empty properties then? If they’re after your motor, they need you to be in. 

No, absolutely not, just unfortunate during 'lockdown'. I was simply curious about the circumstances. 

Thanks for your concern.

15 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Seems to me from what I've seen, visit Melton Road, Narborough Road, Foleshill Road in Cov, and the independent shops are pretty well fully stocked particularly with fresh veg and fruit, herbs, spices and ingredients. The bog roll is really substandard but, in times of need...

Also went to Asda and put our weekly allowance of 3 bottles of Prosecco and 3 red wines in the basket only to be told that the limit of 3 meant 3 actual bottles of any type of wine. Had to surrender 3 bottles!

I'm in Loughborough, so wouldn't have even crossed my mind to go Narborough Road or Cov. Different stores were better with different things. Sainsbury's had milk, aldi had eggs. Nowhere had much bread though, I ended up with a unsliced one from tesco. 

I'm really struggling to get my head round people buying perishables. Eggs, milk, bread, fruit and veg, it ain't gonna last for weeks.

Mainstream media hacks and Twitter blue ticks are absolutely swooning over Rishi Sunak's announcement on worker income protection, blabbering on about how Prime Ministerial he looks (purely because he can talk in complete sentences and stay on topic without blabbering dangerous counter-productive nonsense).

What they should be doing is asking questions,

The concept of the state supporting the incomes of potentially millions of workers as the result of a pandemic is absolutely unprecedented, so it's understandable that the measures Sunak has come up with are somewhat cobbled together. It's understandable that the plan is somewhat chaotic, but that's exactly why serious questions have to be asked.

Here are some of the questions that need asking and answering as soon as possible.

1. Why are the payments being routed through private businesses rather than through the tax system?

Routing income support measures through private businesses, rather than just routing funds directly through the tax system (based on previous years' tax records) creates an additional layer of bureaucracy.

How much is this extra bureaucracy going to cost, and what is the ideological justification for doing it in this convoluted way?

2. Why do self-employed people offered pathetic crumbs compared to the 80% income guarantee offered to salaried workers?

How is it fair that self-employed people driven out of business get nothing except a tax delay and the option of collecting Universal Credit pittance while they're out of work, while salaried employees at struggling companies get 80% of their previous income?

3. What happens about people on exploitative Zero Hours Contracts?

Surely routing income support through their employers leaves them at the mercy of people who clearly don't value them enough to offer them proper employment terms.

What do workers do if their Zero Hours employer decides not to bother claiming income support on their behalf?

4. How is the government going to assess which companies are struggling enough to warrant income support measures for their employees?

Where is the cut off line? Are financially prudent companies with financial reserves expected to burn through all of their savings before they get help, while companies that were teetering on the edge of bankruptcy before the virus even came along get immediate economic life support?

That hardly seems very fair does it?

5. The decision to route income support measures through private businesses, rather than direct payments through the tax system clearly opens up a Pandora's Box of potential fraud. What measures are going to be taken to combat this inevitable tsunami of attempted fraud?

And how much are these anti-fraud measures going to cost above simply distributing income support through the tax system?

6. What happens to the hundreds of thousands of workers who have already been laid off?

The income support measures are apparently backdated to March 1st, however what sense does it make to leave workers at the mercy of bosses who already laid them off, rather than just using the tax system to provide income support?

What happens with workers' whose ex-bosses don't bother to apply for the income support grants? What happens to workers' whose bosses simply decide to fold their companies?

How is it fair that some workers get to keep 80% of their salary, while others end up on the Universal Credit scrap heap, purely based on the decisions of their bosses/ex-bosses and/or the financial viability of their employers?

7. Why did these measures come so late? What is the justification for the Tories initially prioritising their rescue efforts at protecting capital and property values, whilst leaving workers' incomes as an afterthought?

Even though they've eventually been pressurised into offering measures to help workers, what does it tell us about their attitude that capital and property came first?

Hopefully the mainstream media hack pack will eventually stop pleasuring themselves at vapid and trivial nonsense like how Prime Ministerial Sunak looked when he announced the measures to actually begin asking pertinent questions, especially about the ideological justification for refusing to simplify the whole process, and make it a hell of a lot fairer, by doing it through the tax system.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

Government have gone a long way to helping people financially which was needed.  Lots of people will sleep a little easier and be a bit more relaxed...

Which is good because, there are plenty more restrictions to come that will really test people's patience.

Full credit to them. What they have done goes further than many thought they would, me included. The wage deal is for 3 months and will almost certainly need to be extended probably for the best part of 12 months unless there is a miraculous cure or vaccine before then.

I suspect we will all be paying far higher taxes in the years to come but so be it. The choice was either something like this or the total collapse of society which would probably cost more in the long run.

Sadly true. I think we can expect total lockdown for over 70s, perhaps even from Monday, all shop closures quite probably next week too followed by basically a Spain/France situation within the next two weeks.

Second coronavirus patient dies at Leicester Royal Infirmary
It is not known where he contracted the virus

ByAmy OrtonLocal Democracy Reporter
17:09, 20 MAR 2020

A second coronavirus patient has died at Leicester Royal Infirmary, as the death toll in England hits 167.

The man was in his 80s and had underlying health conditions. He died on Wednesday, March 18.

His was one of the 39 more deaths in England confirmed this afternoon.

A spokesperson for University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, which runs Leicester's hospitals, said: “Sadly, we can confirm that a man who was being cared for at the Leicester Royal Infirmary, and had tested positive for COVID-19, has died.

“His family has been informed and our thoughts and condolences are with them at this difficult and distressing time.

“The trust is continuing to follow all of the appropriate infection control guidance to provide safe and effective care to our patients.”

Another man, also in his 80s, who tested positive for Covid-19 died at the city centre hospital on Thursday, March 12. The trust said that he too had underlying health issues.

It is not known when, how or where either of the patients contracted the virus.

Earlier this week, the trust confirmed that as of midnight on Tuesday, March 17, it was treating six patients with confirmed coronavirus.

Health bosses also confirmed that some non-urgent operations would be postponed to free up beds.

A spokesperson said: “Following the national announcement this week of the need to suspend all non-urgent elective operations, the trust is developing local plans for this.

“In the meantime, people should continue to attend appointments as usual unless they have a cough or high temperature or they are advised otherwise by us.

“If any appointments are postponed people will be informed about this directly.”

The latest death announcement comes as schools prepare to close to all pupils today, except those of key workers, in an attempt to delay the spread of the highly contagious illness.

Boris Johnson is due to give his daily coronavirus briefly shortly where further measures to protect jobs are expected to be announced.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/second-coronavirus-patient-dies-leicester-3969019

7 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Does any one else think it seems a bit backward, that the government are agreeing to pay up to £2500 a month for those who's jobs would be at risk, whilst many of those now labelled key workers during this difficult time, the ones keeping this country running, get nowhere near that level of support.

For example, Many supermarket staff are on minimum wage but they have to keep putting up with alot of shit, and putting themselves at risk. 

The government needed to do something and I'm not disputing that, just seems like the world's turning upside down but still makes no sense.

It all filters back to the government .

7 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Unfortunately people come in houses while people are sleeping.

Reason why i sleep with a baseball bat and machete close by. I got kids so if someone is coming in my house they got something to watch out for.   Horrible situation to be in and im glad you are okay. Hope the scum get caught!

29 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Holding the Cheltenham Festival was lunacy, and the Japs still seem to think that the Olympics will happen. Clearly lunacy is a worldwide thing.  

A great example of the links between people is that half of Uruguay’s confirmed cases are related to a single person who return from a wedding in Spain. Infecting 17 people.

So you times that across a plane of 50 - thats 850 people who then go home to families of 3 - that’s 2,550. 

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

*take with a pinch of salt* 

Was told today that LRI have been transferring wards to General and Glenfield. Makes good sense and would restrict the virus to a location 

Yes it’s true all A&E staff are being trained on ventilators now too. Not just respiratory wards and ICU.

Shit is getting serious now.

Edited by Strokes

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

A great example of the links between people is that half of Uruguay’s confirmed cases are related to a single person who return from a wedding in Spain. Infecting 17 people.

So you times that across a plane of 50 - thats 850 people who then go home to families of 3 - that’s 2,550. 

Northern Italy was on the whole caused by an a-systematic Chinese tourist.

25 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Reason why i sleep with a baseball bat and machete close by. I got kids so if someone is coming in my house they got something to watch out for.   Horrible situation to be in and im glad you are okay. Hope the scum get caught!

Thanks pal, not nice.

24 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

*take with a pinch of salt* 

Was told today that LRI have been transferring wards to General and Glenfield. Makes good sense and would restrict the virus to a location 

One of my friends has their Dad in the LRI with a confirmed case, and he has pneumonia. Fighting for his life apparently, and my friend and her husband are also showing symptoms. Please keep them and everyone else affected in your prayers 

• Sad 1