Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

13 minutes ago, Tuna said:

If you are near the country, try farm shops they are bound to have milk, bread, eggs etc.

Absolutely.

And it can obviously help the local farmers who make these produce; with the money they make from selling their home-grown actually products goes 100% towards them, unlike at certain supermarkets etc.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

As for certain food products not being available, all that is required is to think outside the box.  

Don't have rice?  Plenty of risotto rice, picked that up, no problem.  Add in a couple of packets of chopped chorizo and pancetta and all of a sudden, from three tiny items, you've got enough for 4 meals.

As well as showing how dumb much of the UK is, these people that enjoy hoarding sprees are also not showing themselves up to be the most imaginative of cooks either.  lol

Oh yeah, just take what you can get.

On a serious note though, a colleague of mine has to eat gluten free, and people have been clearing that range too. There'll be little she can eat if all the fruit and veg is gone, all the normal food she can eat is gone and then all that stuff is gone too.

13 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

It seems the plan is a self imposed lockdown.Stage by stage.Friends and family have gone from a fortnight ago of “It’s no big deal”to last weeks “Ok their might be something in this”Now they are taking it deadly seriously.This is before inevitable huge rises in the death toll.Im expecting the roads to be a lot quieter next week.I don’t think you will be seeing huge cues of people standing shoulder to shoulder either.

The problem is we have a dumb generation brought up on fake news etc via social media. They will only realise that something serious is going on when people they know die, by which time it will be too late.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Absolutely.

And it can obviously help the local farmers who make these produce; with the money they make from selling their home-grown actually products goes 100% towards them, unlike at certain supermarkets etc.

That employ millions of people which contributes to the country ticking over. How many farmers do you reckon will notify the tax man of their sudden increase in wealth? 

Edited by yorkie1999

17 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

As for certain food products not being available, all that is required is to think outside the box.  

Don't have rice?  Plenty of risotto rice, picked that up, no problem.  Add in a couple of packets of chopped chorizo and pancetta and all of a sudden, from three tiny items, you've got enough for 4 meals.

As well as showing how dumb much of the UK is, these people that enjoy hoarding sprees are also not showing themselves up to be the most imaginative of cooks either.  lol

Good thinking

Toothpaste on tampons it is for

dinner

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Oh yeah, just take what you can get.

On a serious note though, a colleague of mine has to eat gluten free, and people have been clearing that range too. There'll be little she can eat if all the fruit and veg is gone, all the normal food she can eat is gone and then all that stuff is gone too.

I was in Sainsbury’s a few days ago and there were some gluten free items available

it never crossed my mind to buy them - the sad thing is that the nobs who bought them (and don't need them ) will probably leave them in the cupboard until this is all over and then chuck them out ....

https://www.axios.com/timeline-the-early-days-of-chinas-coronavirus-outbreak-and-cover-up-ee65211a-afb6-4641-97b8-353718a5faab.html

will China face any consequences for what they have unleashed to the world? 

The chancellor was good yesterday and the things he did are necessary but does it mean we will probably have more austerity to pay for it afterwards? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, davieG said:

The media should start showing warehouses full of stock presuming they exist.

I think they're getting back on their feet somewhat, I've just been to Shelthorpe Tescos, got a loaf, albeit whole grain not what I'd buy usually, a cucumber, plenty of these whereas Asda Thurmaston had nothing on Thursday, eggs, again usual stock and spuds. All things Asda were out of, hardly anyone in there so maybe the tidal wave has eased.

Didnt go looking for tinned stuff or fresh meat but butchers on the roundabout were open and shoppers coming out with bags, so food is getting back on track.

Media certainly are to blame, BBC in particular, Jeremey Vine went on about panic buying for about 3 days the other week, it's as though the BBC want the country to collapse to then point the finger at Boris. That Kunnesburg woman is just as bad at the press conferences, whatever they do they'll ask why more or the other isn't being done, when they should be getting behind the government and leading scientists, grandpa and his lot with the unions are the same, support what they're doing not fight against them.

5 minutes ago, Desabafar said:

https://www.axios.com/timeline-the-early-days-of-chinas-coronavirus-outbreak-and-cover-up-ee65211a-afb6-4641-97b8-353718a5faab.html

The chancellor was good yesterday and the things he did are necessary but does it mean we will probably have more austerity to pay for it afterwards? 

...for failure to contain it within their own population resulting in their likely unnecessary death and suffering? They should, but that's up to the Chinese people, sadly.

...for failure to contain it once it reached other places? Can't see that being the responsibility of anyone other than the countries it spread to, so there's plenty of blame and consequences for governments the world over to go round.

If you know anyone who isn't taking this seriously you should make them watch this. It's worrying that this is what could happen here soon.

Any younger people pay attention at around 3:20ish mark when they say they're seeing more and more younger people in their 30's.

Edited by Guesty

Just now, promised land said:

I think they're getting back on their feet somewhat, I've just been to Shelthorpe Tescos, got a loaf, albeit whole grain not what I'd buy usually, a cucumber, plenty of these whereas Asda Thurmaston had nothing on Thursday, eggs, again usual stock and spuds. All things Asda were out of, hardly anyone in there so maybe the tidal wave has eased.

Didnt go looking for tinned stuff or fresh meat but butchers on the roundabout were open and shoppers coming out with bags, so food is getting back on track.

Media certainly are to blame, BBC in particular, Jeremey Vine went on about panic buying for about 3 days the other week, it's as though the BBC want the country to collapse to then point the finger at Boris. That Kunnesburg woman is just as bad at the press conferences, whatever they do they'll ask why more or the other isn't being done, when they should be getting behind the government and leading scientists, grandpa and his lot with the unions are the same, support what they're doing not fight against them.

Whilst it is a time of crisis, the idea of mass media not holding whatever government is in power to account for what they're up to is a bit scary. Too much like unaccountable power to me - and Acton had some things to say about that.

As an aside, it's darkly amusing that a subset of people are trusting the scientific community implicitly on this one after spending the last few years pointing and laughing at practically anything they had to say regarding climate change, despite the research and peer review procedures for both being pretty much the same. I guess it's all to do with the immediacy of the threat.

8 minutes ago, Desabafar said:

What's the alternative?

The future generations will be paying for it for decades but it's that or complete collapse. Interest rates will be historically low now for maybe decades, they were low before due to 2008. 

12 minutes ago, Desabafar said:

I think if trump has anything to do with it they will, and I know everyone thinks he’s a dick head, but he is still the leader of the most powerful nation on earth. Just glad they can go over the Pacific!

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Whilst it is a time of crisis, the idea of mass media not holding whatever government is in power to account for what they're up to is a bit scary. Too much like unaccountable power to me - and Acton had some things to say about that.

As an aside, it's darkly amusing that a subset of people are trusting the scientific community implicitly on this one after spending the last few years pointing and laughing at practically anything they had to say regarding climate change, despite the research and peer review procedures for both being pretty much the same. I guess it's all to do with the immediacy of the threat.

The climate change scientists, are they the same ones as the medical ones dealing with this then?

Do you have a link for that?

16 minutes ago, Desabafar said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-china-animals-wild-eat-ban-wildlife-market-pangolin-dogs-cats-a9358496.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think if trump has anything to do with it they will, and I know everyone thinks he’s a dick head, but he is still the leader of the most powerful nation on earth. Just glad they can go over the Pacific!

Not really much thought about it, it's a matter of record.

Whether people think a dickhead like him is necessary for the present times is, of course, a matter of opinion.

2 minutes ago, promised land said:

The climate change scientists, are they the same ones as the medical ones dealing with this then?

Do you have a link for that?

No, but that's why I said the "scientific community" at large and didn't go into specifics - is it really thought that there is that much of a difference in research into microbiology and epidemiology and research into climate change models (and more importantly how such studies are verified and given levels of credibility)?

Don't get the trust for one but not for the other without there being some bias based on personal circumstances changing there.

5 hours ago, Ross-Kemp said:

Sainsbury’s in Wigston have fresh bread - Limited to 1 per person.

Joseph Morris Butchers - Opened at 0700, sold out of chicken,  Pork & all sausages by 0703. They did have plenty of fresh Mince and Bacon available. 

Cox’s in Wigston - Plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables available. 

If anyone on here is local to the LE18 area and is self-isolating for whatever reason and needs anything picking up and delivering (or dog walking etc), I’m available all weekend to help :thumbup:

Feel free to PM if you’d prefer. 

@Izzy - If you’re still struggling for toilet roll pal, I have an idea that could work :blush:

I'm in the same area and I'm shopping for my Dad, so if I can help anyone out with picking up a few things just let me know.

Thanks for the heads up on the fruit and veg. :thumbup:

19 minutes ago, promised land said:

100% agree with this.

14 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Holding government to account is one thing, but opinionated celebrity journalists pushing their own agenda for clicks is another.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

The media should start showing warehouses full of stock presuming they exist.

The BBC showed the UK's biggest loo roll maker. The guy running it was standing in front of thousands of huge loo rolls that could make 10,000 little loo rolls each. He also said he has 84million loo rolls in storage. 

Absolutely no one gave a shite. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...for failure to contain it within their own population resulting in their likely unnecessary death and suffering? They should, but that's up to the Chinese people, sadly.

...for failure to contain it once it reached other places? Can't see that being the responsibility of anyone other than the countries it spread to, so there's plenty of blame and consequences for governments the world over to go round.

I mean they're obviously not gonna face much recrimination. But to say the worldwide spread is not China's responsibility is madness. To excuse them that is the same mentality that means people still go out and about because they feel they're only responsible for their own risk rather than the role they play in the transmission chain. 'Not my fault you didn't wash your hands after coming into contact with me'

• Like 2