Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

For those not already aware, note the reduced opening hours for most stores, which have been closing at 8pm on all the ones I've looked at, with the exception of Beaumont Leys Tesco which according to their website is open until 10. Does anyone know if that's right?

16 hours ago, Tuna said:

Some of this makes sense and some of it doesn't.

It makes sense when you think they've only been tracking the disease since someone went to hospital, it seems there are a number of cases with zero symptions, therefore when they say the first positive case was in Dec, it could have actually been months earlier, and if it's as infectious as it sounds and they didn't lock down Wuhan till mid jan surely the disease would have spread quickly given everyone in the region could travel anywhere. They've only done proper testing in this country really since Feb, so how do we know the number of cases isn't much much higher and happened much much earlier?

What it doesn't explain is the high number of hospitalisations in Italy though and the rest of mainland Europe.

That said in the East midlands, I know GPs were reported there was a terrible mysterious cough going round late Dec, early Jan. It's all speculation clearly, but there's a lot more to be understood on this.

Factually though if you're looking purely at statistics mortality rates are down 4% YOY compared to the previous 5 years in data before the virus hit the UK though, will be interesting to see how this evolves. There's a magnificent book on how looking at statistics is so rarely done in the media called factfulness. Part of me wonders are we looking at the wrong thing.

They really need to get on the testing properly and develop the antibody test, as this will have the answers to this.

1 hour ago, Sir Shep said:

Building site where I live is shut down now, with additional barriers, so they won’t be returning for a while I’d have thought. Pheasants are probably happier as well as no tossers can shoot them now!

True.  There's dozens of them strutting around in Foxton.  I hate the pheasant shooting that goes on near me, I can't imagine what people get out of it.  The only trouble is, the pheasants keeping pinching the food we leave out for our ducks!  It's gone in seconds.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

For those not already aware, note the reduced opening hours for most stores, which have been closing at 8pm on all the ones I've looked at, with the exception of Beaumont Leys Tesco which according to their website is open until 10. Does anyone know if that's right?

Seems my local(wigston) Aldi & Sainsburys have gone to 8pm closing. Tesco & Lidl still showing 10pm closing. 

Asda Fosse Park still showing 10pm as well. 

31 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Factually though if you're looking purely at statistics mortality rates are down 4% YOY compared to the previous 5 years in data before the virus hit the UK though, will be interesting to see how this evolves. There's a magnificent book on how looking at statistics is so rarely done in the media called factfulness. Part of me wonders are we looking at the wrong thing.

Interesting.

I wonder if all the lockdown measures and increased hygiene that have been a key theme of the battle against coronavirus is reducing the number of unrelated deaths by more than the coronavirus itself is causing (for now). There are obviously going to be other contributing factors, but for instance A&E is far less overwhelmed because non-emergencies aren't using it when they shouldnt, significantly fewer people on the roads will mean fewer severe incidents/fatalities etc...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Prince Charles has coronavirus. 

Yikes. 

He's 71 so certainly in the at risk category. If he's (or indeed, any of the staff) had any recent contact with the Queen/Philip then that could be worrying as well. 

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Interesting.

I wonder if all the lockdown measures and increased hygiene that have been a key theme of the battle against coronavirus is reducing the number of unrelated deaths by more than the coronavirus itself is causing (for now). There are obviously going to be other contributing factors, but for instance A&E is far less overwhelmed because non-emergencies aren't using it when they shouldnt, significantly fewer people on the roads will mean fewer severe incidents/fatalities etc...

Yep, fascinated to see if there's a study on this.

Statistically we've never been safer in the world than we have today, however it really doesn't feel like that does it.

Just now, Xen said:

Yikes. 

He's 71 so certainly in the at risk category. If he's (or indeed, any of the staff) had any recent contact with the Queen/Philip then that could be worrying as well. 

Mild symptons, yet another celebrity who has had a test but displays virtually no symptons, there's more to this than is being demonstrated by the media yet the lack of testing doesn't give us any answers.

Just now, Abrasive fox said:

Mild symptons, yet another celebrity who has had a test but displays virtually no symptons, there's more to this than is being demonstrated by the media yet the lack of testing doesn't give us any answers.

True - had a glance at the news after posting and seems he's been isolating for a few days already and this is just confirmation.

On the one hand its reassuring that lots of celebrities are testing positive but otherwise mostly unaffected . On the other hand its infuriating that they're even able to get tests given that key workers as well as at-risk people with severe symptoms are being completely overlooked and can't get tested.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xen said:

True - had a glance at the news after posting and seems he's been isolating for a few days already and this is just confirmation.

On the one hand its reassuring that lots of celebrities are testing positive but otherwise mostly unaffected . On the other hand its infuriating that they're even able to get tests given that key workers as well as at-risk people with severe symptoms are being completely overlooked and can't get tested.

Exactly, it doesn't make sense - they're paying 350 quid through private healthcare, make a mockery of the whole system.

3 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Yep, fascinated to see if there's a study on this.

Statistically we've never been safer in the world than we have today, however it really doesn't feel like that does it.

One of those things that I doubt we'll ever know for sure. There's just far too many correlated factors that you can't separate out a small enough range of variables for proper statistical analysis (that won't stop clickbait articles, of course).

Ultimately though you're right - this global change of behaviour has been phenomenal (USA exempted) and long overdue given how fast society has moved on in the last few decades. Hopefully a lot of these habits become commonplace after the event and we can extend it to other crises like climate change. Its also shown just how easy it could be to solve a lot of ongoing problems in the world (like student debt in the states) with a shift in focus from those in power. That's probably (read: definitely) wishful thinking, though.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Factfullness by Hans Rosling.  Brilliant book. A must read for everyone. 

• Like 1

Whilst were in a shit situation currently. 

Theres positives to take from this. 

How many are currently Working From Home who would normally be going to meetings across the country or Europe/The World. I'd like to see the figures on pollution etc over the past few weeks, I bet its dropped. 

Is it necessary that people are in work every day when they could WFH(those that can anyway) we would only have to travel for leisure then. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

How many are currently Working From Home who would normally be going to meetings across the country or Europe/The World. I'd like to see the figures on pollution etc over the past few weeks, I bet its dropped. 

Is it necessary that people are in work every day when they could WFH(those that can anyway) we would only have to travel for leisure then. 

satellite images are showing significant drops in pollution and nitrogen oxide across china, italy and new york so far!

imagine what we could do when we're really pushed...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, polarbear said:

satellite images are showing significant drops in pollution and nitrogen oxide across china, italy and new york so far!

imagine what we could do when we're really pushed...

So what you're saying is, this was secretly a hoax by Extinction Rebellion.

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

It will certainly prove that most offices will be able to close for periods. There was a huge push from charities supporting mental health to look into reducing the amount of hours are spent in an office and away from families, friends and other out of work activities. We work far too much in this country, and if this proves that we can operate on shorter days and shorter weeks then it could be a major stepping stone to restructuring the working week for some people?

• Like 3