Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Can't believe some people, on the bus into town, a twenty something coughing on the bus all the way in and this evening on the way home, the most obnoxious stupid cow I've ever seen, surprised the bus driver did not throw her off the bus.

1 hour ago, theessexfox said:

Presumably if the antibody test says we have had it then we are free to see our nans, go to work, get on public transport and lick all the surfaces in sight?

You’d be alright from the corona point of view, but if you start licking toilet bowls, you might kill your nan by giving her norovirus instead.

Whitty: Antibody virus test 'quite close'

Boris Johnson defends the government's programme to support businesses, calling it "unprecedented".

He says the country is "coping very well indeed" under challenging circumstances.

Asked about the rate of testing in the UK, Prof Chris Whitty, the UK government’s chief medical adviser, says testing of people to determine whether they have the virus is being "ramped up".

He says an antibody test - to see whether people have had it - is "quite close", but has not yet finished being evaluated.

Sir Patrick Vallance, the UK government’s chief scientific adviser, says testing is "crucial" and the UK needs to do more of it.

'We don't know UK-wide infection rate'

Sir Patrick Vallance, the UK government’s chief scientific adviser, is asked about a recent Oxford University study which said as much as 50% of the UK population may have been exposed to the virus.

He says that they "don't know" yet how many people in the UK have had the virus, which is why more testing is vital.

We've ordered huge numbers of tests, says UK PM

There's a question about how long it will be before NHS staff will get greater access to coronavirus tests.

In reply, Boris Johnson says the UK is ordering "huge numbers of tests". He says UK-wide testing should hit 250,000 "very soon".

Prof Chris Whitty, the UK government's chief medical adviser, says the UK has to face the "practical reality" that other countries want the components as well.

The prime minister says the UK has done more tests than "most" European countries.

Johnson: Employers should protect you

image.gif.c26ff692146b1abfe2e3bfc5e88c3e82.gif
BBCCopyright: BBC

The PM is asked if more lives could be saved if he stopped more people going to work.

Mr Johnson says he wants to "repeat the basic message, if you can stay at home then you overwhelmingly should".

But he says for those who have to go to work, it is "vital" for employers to follow rules on social distancing and "ensure" the necessary protection.

Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty says every country is approaching this “slightly differently and has a slightly different epidemic pattern”.

But he says the modelling in the UK was “based on the idea quite a lot of people would have to go to work”.

However, he adds that people should avoid anything that is “discretionary”.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

What's wrong with the sun?

It's where I get all my broad knowledge of current affairs from and helps to shape my world view.

And it's got tits in it!

Yup..Walking along the prom, or a a wet rainy street Paper Wrapped.Fish n chips,with free tits....

My Image of the Perfect life....

34 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Prime Minster giving daily update now

27 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

What's the situation now?

24 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

reinforcing message to stay home and now talking about testing. not a whole lot new I think

Also mentioned that they are working on something for the self employed and will be rolling it out very soon ..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guesty said:

Wonder if there are some younger people who are now taking this a lot more seriously. I was at work on Monday talking to some young people who went to the pub on Friday night. One of them lived with her Grandma who has serious health problems.

As the number of cases ramps up, are we now seeing the unlucky 0.2%?

5 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Also mentioned that they are working on something for the self employed and will be rolling it out very soon ..

I think they are heading down the same route as Norway with this. 

Which I believe is an average of last 3 years declared income.

Will be different for sole traders and individuals that are also trading as limited companies.

• Like 1

Whenever I hear about the scammers and profiteers, that make my fookin blood boil !!! ...   I shall now think of the 405,000 people that have volunteered to help out ...  and will chill ! .....   my faith in humanity fully restored ! ...   :)

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, brucey said:

As the number of cases ramps up, are we now seeing the unlucky 0.2%?

The 0.2% included those with underlying health issues so these I imagine would be included in an even smaller percentage.

4 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Been reading about viral load, apparently you can have different levels of initial infection, the greater level of initial infection the harder job your immune system has fighting it. ie brushing against someone who has it in a supermarket will give you a lower initial viral load than sitting around a table with 6 people sneezing, 

I wonder if plenty of people have had such a mild form of it they didn’t even realise, clutching at straws here I know but trying to be optimistic 

31 minutes ago, Milo said:

Will be different for sole traders and individuals that are also trading as limited companies.

Hopefully they will have something for those of us that haven’t produced a set of accounts yet 😬

I think that the initial level of infection could be a really important aspect to this nightmare. If it is the case that low level initial infection minimises symptoms, then perhaps a vaccine containing a small amount of dead virus material could be injected, to trigger the immune system and provide long-term protection.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I wonder if plenty of people have had such a mild form of it they didn’t even realise, clutching at straws here I know but trying to be optimistic 

Not clutching at straws at all, totally accurate.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I've read that a couple of times to be fair.

That's good news for me personally, my human interaction is limited to about 5 or 6 people a week, and they are in the same house or in the same team at work.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

That's me and rumors are we'll just get the basic tax free salary equivalent of £719 per month.

Should just about cover our food bill then :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Hopefully the twat licking the hospital toilet seat for fun has it at its most severe 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That's me and rumors are we'll just get the basic tax free salary equivalent of £719 per month.

Directors are in a very difficult position.  Measures read that if you are PAYE and take the £719 salary like many do, then they might be only entitled to 80% of that if they can't work.

I'm working from home at the moment, and I had to switch roles today and take calls from our customers to help out, and will be for the foreseeable future. It was absolutely heart breaking to take call after call from people who have closed their business, laid off staff, and have no money. My other half works for the same business, and had a conference call led by the CEO, with thousands of engineers in, who actually broke down and cried. Unheard of, and again, heart breaking. 

And we're the lucky ones, working from home and keeping our salaries. 

• Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I would be grateful for that at the mo.

Sales this week so far should be around £600.  Actual sales this week - £10.99

Anybody wanna buy a nice Georgian silver tankard?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Dad's gotta go in to hospital for something totally unrelated to COVID-19 but I'm genuinely so worried he's going to catch something :(

All the best Stan, keep us updated. If it's any help, I think they're keeping all the COVID patients seperately, and taking measures to stop the spread.

• Like 1