Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Right, I've been tasked with trying to ascertain what my missus might be eligible for. She has her own business with her sister (partnership) which has nose dived off a cliff since the outbreak of Covid-19. She also has a part time job in a pub which is now closed. I know she'll be eligible for her part time job as her employer is sorting that but is there anything for her business? I've researched it and haven't got very far with it.

I'm still working as I work for the NHS, she seems to think because I'm employed that she's not entitled to the universal tax credit that was announced by the government for self employed or business owners but not sure?

I've been told the same.abour universal tax credits, because my partner works and we have savings it's a no go.

• Like 1

This is probably a selfish thing to ask considering people’s lives being lost,but wouldn’t mind a few views.

Having a house built and it’s only early days as piling was only completed last week.Today the builder said he was leaving site until further notice.

I’ve given him £50k deposit (20%)and he has probably got bills to pay for builders merchants,other projects and we pay him for work done at every stage eg site clearance,piling,footings and he takes off 20% off his quote at these stages.So at the end of the project the total quoted is the total paid.

He also has to live and with no money coming in I’m concerned that if things go on,he could declare himself bankrupt,taking my £50 k

Am I panicking unnecessarily?

should I ask for my deposit back( or some of it)

or ride the wave?

sorry if this is clear as mud!

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Anything to freak people out. Hantavirus is very common in mice, rats and other rodents, that's why restaurants get shut down if there's evidence of rodents on their premises. Can cause all sorts of problems, including renal failure and death

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Mate - I have no idea if the below is of any help, but we made a definite decision to structure the first week or so. Otherwise it would be too tricky to get the kids into doing anything other than sitting in front of a fvcking screen all day (which is what I want to do)! 

This is for the 12 year old, with work sent from school or with stuff that we have found for them. The 6 year old follows suit but with a bit of a change to the subjects and more arty type stuff and story writing. Wife has also subscribed to Muzzy (?) language lessons for the younger one. 

We’ve kind of stuck to it (this is our second week) and it’s worked a lot better than expected. 

The Joe Wicks thing now starts the day perfectly, and we’ve binned a couple of the lessons to go out for a walk or play in the garden. But the kids know that there is a structure there. We also allow flexibility and swaps to encourage, say, extra guitar over RS, geography, etc. 

From an outside point of view, it might look a bit over the top, but for our kids this was definitely the way to go. I’m sure you know what would work best for yours. 

Nobody has killed anyone here yet, which I’m taking as a positive. 👍

(And no, I don’t know why washing hands is only on there once a day)!! :o

6C4AA9B9-1E40-4EFD-8960-4EB00D9A743F.jpeg.4c476ce4f2f41edc72778dd49d969186.jpeg

The lack of washing hands across the week, in this current climate, other than 5.20-5.30pm is quite concerning :ph34r:

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

This is probably a selfish thing to ask considering people’s lives being lost,but wouldn’t mind a few views.

Having a house built and it’s only early days as piling was only completed last week.Today the builder said he was leaving site until further notice.

I’ve given him £50k deposit (20%)and he has probably got bills to pay for builders merchants,other projects and we pay him for work done at every stage eg site clearance,piling,footings and he takes off 20% off his quote at these stages.So at the end of the project the total quoted is the total paid.

He also has to live and with no money coming in I’m concerned that if things go on,he could declare himself bankrupt,taking my £50 k

or ride the wave?

Have you dealt with a solicitor at all regarding any of this that you can speak to? I’d think they would be your best bet if so. 

Im in a sort of similar situation, although mine Is an off plan property on a new estate and is a development by a nationally known developer. We’re covered contractually and we also have a long (looong) stop date whereby we can withdraw legally if the house isn’t completed by a certain date, but obviously not sure if this is the same for you because I remember you mentioning before you bought the land outright. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

or ride the wave?

I would ask for a 'valuation' of the build in its current state then get the builder to return those monies.

In reality, you have no idea how long it will be until they return back to the project so I wouldn't leave it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Manini said:

Have you dealt with a solicitor at all regarding any of this that you can speak to? I’d think they would be your best bet if so. 

Im in a sort of similar situation, although mine Is an off plan property on a new estate and is a development by a nationally known developer. We’re covered contractually and we also have a long (looong) stop date whereby we can withdraw legally if the house isn’t completed by a certain date, but obviously not sure if this is the same for you because I remember you mentioning before you bought the land outright. 

4 minutes ago, kenny said:

I would ask for a 'valuation' of the build in its current state then get the builder to return those monies.

In reality, you have no idea how long it will be until they return back to the project so I wouldn't leave it.

Thanks 👍

3 hours ago, stix said:

Hancock said today that 3.5m antibody tests have been purchased. 

Thanks for this, I missed this announcement. Does anyone know where these tests got developed? I’ve only had a quick Google, but the only article I found where anyone claimed to have already developed this test is here:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/mount-sinai-researchers-develop-test-for-coronavirus-antibodies/

Says it isn’t peer reviewed.

6 hours ago, Tuna said:

Would be great if true but very dangerous too. Releasing it now is daft and it seems that the tabloids are going with it too which could have an effect on lockdown measures and people’s adherence. Let’s get through this first short term period, then worry about stuff like this after. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Half way down in the article

"However, experts were quick to point out that it is not a new virus — and has only rarely thought to have been passed between humans."

Unlike the media outlet looking for traffic. The world's media is a virus. 

True, but if idiots didn't share it...

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Anybody dared go to a supermarket since Monday night?

Assuming that it's gone bonkers again after signs of calming down a bit before the lockdown

Yesterday I did (not in Leicester but Newcastle) and it was very quiet. Everyone keeping there distance from one another. Shelves were not full but there was certainly more food and stock than last week. Managed to get everything on my list between Lidl (very bare shelves) and Sainsbury’s (almost fully stocked)

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

Yesterday I did (not in Leicester but Newcastle) and it was very quiet. Everyone keeping there distance from one another. Shelves were not full but there was certainly more food and stock than last week. Managed to get everything on my list between Lidl (very bare shelves) and Sainsbury’s (almost fully stocked)

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I went yesterday evening - certain items raided but it was virtually empty of people and I got enough together to avoid it for another week 

This is what I was hoping to hear, ta.

My main need is dishwasher tablets, assuming there's not been continuing panic buying of them

8 hours ago, bovril said:

Thought this was interesting from that article  - not people eating bats but Chinese medicine potentially responsible.......

‘SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the disease covid-19, is similar to coronaviruses that circulate naturally in bats. It jumped into the human species last year in Wuhan, China, probably through an intermediate species — possibly a pangolin, an endangered anteater whose scales are trafficked for traditional medicine.’

4 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

They’ve done the same at our place, tell you to wash your hands more and stay 2 metres apart. Yet it’s actually impossible to stay 2 meters apart all the time at our place. I suppose we just keep going into to work, mixing with lots of people, risking ourselves everyday until the government change the statement. 

No real thought or effort was put into proper planning for us to carry on safely. It's been a complete shambles really, work will inevitably dry up as international orders are cancelled/less new ones placed so essentially it's futile effort anyway. 

Building site where I live is shut down now, with additional barriers, so they won’t be returning for a while I’d have thought. Pheasants are probably happier as well as no tossers can shoot them now!

15 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Working from home today. After offering each individual employee the choice to interpret the government's message how they wish (!), I received a very manipulative, guilt-trippy call from my boss telling me about everyone else who had come in and talking about the difficult decisions regarding furloughs he was going to have to make. Painted a picture without telling me explicitly what to do - his usual slimey trick. I don't understand why he thinks I can't work at home? I'm a digital marketer! 95% of my work is done online! Piling on even more completely unnecessary stress to the situation. Feel at a low ebb today.

That is ridiculous; all of you should be working from home if that proportion of your work is online / phone.  Smacks of a poor leader who doesn't trust his team becuase they all think he is a ****.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I went yesterday evening - certain items raided but it was virtually empty of people and I got enough together to avoid it for another week 

Which one did you go to? I can’t decide where to go when the time comes. I normally do Sainsbury’s online and then the Selly Oak Aldi in person, but Aldi is just too cramped 

Edited by rachhere