Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Why isn’t this being run by govt?  I have an in built distrust of giving private information to projects that have commercial partners ......

if this project is important then the state should be running it and then people would have confidence in giving their data 

No idea. I know what you mean. I wouldn't normally do something like this. You don't have to give your name or any of that. But they do want your post code. 

I looked at some of the universities, and the fact that some of these universities are the scientists that are creating the papers that advise the government and figured it was worth it.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Walking outside and was passed by a police car twice, worried I might get stopped and fined but they just drove by. Anyone know of someone who has been stopped and fined!. I am used to social distancing anyway so doesn’t affect me much. I usually go library but can’t do that now.i hope everyone on foxestalk stays safe. My mental health is taking a real hit with all this and I imagine it’s affecting everyone like this.

what by yourself? there are 100's of people out there today. jogging, walking their dogs, out with their families. i seen a bunch of stupid kids playing football on the street yesterday. doubt the police can do much about that many people being out.

25 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

Do people get tested for the flu generally or is it a case of ticking a list of symptoms? (Asking as someone who has never had the flu)

Yes they do. Same nose swab, gets sent for PCR, and because the flu test has been around longer they can test for about 10 different viruses (flu A, flu B etc) that gives flu-ey symptoms on the same swab. Some places can now test for covid alongside the other 10 viruses on the same swab. Most places still need separate swabs. 

5 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Walking outside and was passed by a police car twice, worried I might get stopped and fined but they just drove by. Anyone know of someone who has been stopped and fined!. I am used to social distancing anyway so doesn’t affect me much. I usually go library but can’t do that now.i hope everyone on foxestalk stays safe. My mental health is taking a real hit with all this and I imagine it’s affecting everyone like this.

It’s tough on everyone for sure.. Hang in there!

Do you have an elderly neighbor? is there some shopping that you can do for them?  that way you get a walk and contribute something positive. You could even ask that elderly person to write you a little note if you are worried about the police.

7 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Sounds like Corona Virus can be milder than flu in some cases. I have had the proper flu. I think a big problem is: a lot of people think they've had the flu when they haven't.

My symptoms were: couldn't really leave my bed for nearly two weeks; fever in high 30's; laid in a lake of sweat for 2 weeks; couldn't even keep down water; just ached so badly everywhere; lost around 2 stone in weight (11st down to 9); was hallucinating (I remember spiders crawling all over the walls and ceiling) and a terrible cough (it took 4 weeks for my voice to return to normal).

Doctors confirmed it was the flu over the phone, but I was never tested. They just said phone for an ambulance if it gets worse. At one point it took my mum 5 minutes to bring me round and she taught I'd died my breathing was so shallow.

If I got that now I'd phone for an ambulance on about day 2 thinking the worst. As soon as anyone says the flu I mentally go straight back to laying there seeing the spiders - and it was over 15 years ago.

You definitely hear the flu bandied around flippantly. Based on what you’ve described, the way I’m feeling at the moment if I was to scale it would be about 5% and I feel f*****g rotten! 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Sounds like Corona Virus can be milder than flu in some cases. I have had the proper flu. I think a big problem is: a lot of people think they've had the flu when they haven't.

The problem of course with Covid-19 is its sheer outright ability to infect people. Flu droplets can live in the air for about 3 minutes. Covid-19 can live in the air for 3 hrs. it can also live on hard surfaces and was in fact  still found in the cabins of the Princess cruise ship 17 days after the passengers left.  It’s infection rate/ possibilities are just outrageous in comparison..

1 hour ago, polarbear said:

satellite images are showing significant drops in pollution and nitrogen oxide across china, italy and new york so far!

imagine what we could do when we're really pushed...

Greta will be pleased.

But seriously, if it's proven this period has helped the planet, I tend to agree, could we see a limit on global travel. Or finally accept our industry is killing the place.

15 minutes ago, MPH said:

Hunger games districts have been released. Good luck to you all!

4C2423FE-4B5D-4323-A1F8-E742867FFC08.jpeg

May the odds be in your favour. Looks like I am in district 5 - highly populated area, my chances of being picked shouldn’t be too high. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Police  / PCSOs were in Melton town centre yesterday asking folks what they were doing out of the house. No fines dished out as far as I know, just advice.

47 minutes ago, Guesty said:

My symptoms were: couldn't really leave my bed for nearly two weeks; fever in high 30's; laid in a lake of sweat for 2 weeks; couldn't even keep down water; just ached so badly everywhere; lost around 2 stone in weight (11st down to 9); was hallucinating (I remember spiders crawling all over the walls and ceiling) and a terrible cough (it took 4 weeks for my voice to return to normal).

I’ve had it twice I think. It was genuinely horrible and it does grate on me when people say they have it when they clearly haven’t (shouldn’t bother me but it does). 

I remember a thurnderstorm one night while I had a fever and I really did think the world was ending. 

It really is a case of, someone could be at your front door with a cheque for £1m but you wouldn’t be able to go and answer. 

• Like 3

Wonder if there are some younger people who are now taking this a lot more seriously. I was at work on Monday talking to some young people who went to the pub on Friday night. One of them lived with her Grandma who has serious health problems.

• Like 2

Guest MattP
57 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Anyone signed up to Good SAMs? Thinking of doing some driving for them while I'm furloughed. 

I signed up earlier, just waiting on the identity clearance now.

15 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I’ve had it twice I think. It was genuinely horrible and it does grate on me when people say they have it when they clearly haven’t (shouldn’t bother me but it does). 

I remember a thurnderstorm one night while I had a fever and I really did think the world was ending. 

It really is a case of, someone could be at your front door with a cheque for £1m but you wouldn’t be able to go and answer. 

My Grandad (died in 1985) used to say a similar thing about the flu, but in his example it was a fifty pound note blowing around the garden that was beyond reach.

That's inflation for you

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
49 minutes ago, MPH said:

The problem of course with Covid-19 is its sheer outright ability to infect people. Flu droplets can live in the air for about 3 minutes. Covid-19 can live in the air for 3 hrs. it can also live on hard surfaces and was in fact  still found in the cabins of the Princess cruise ship 17 days after the passengers left.  It’s infection rate/ possibilities are just outrageous in comparison..

Been reading about viral load, apparently you can have different levels of initial infection, the greater level of initial infection the harder job your immune system has fighting it. ie brushing against someone who has it in a supermarket will give you a lower initial viral load than sitting around a table with 6 people sneezing, 

Went out to small number of shops near me and it's quite surreal, streets aren't empty by any means but it all seemed calm and sensible. Shops monitoring customer levels, and stock reasonably full. Nice weather is making it easy for me, although do feel guilty sitting in the garden with a beer whilst there's chaos within hospital walls. To be fair though, I am on my honeymoon.