Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Whilst were in a shit situation currently. 

Theres positives to take from this. 

How many are currently Working From Home who would normally be going to meetings across the country or Europe/The World. I'd like to see the figures on pollution etc over the past few weeks, I bet its dropped. 

Is it necessary that people are in work every day when they could WFH(those that can anyway) we would only have to travel for leisure then. 

I've mentioned it before but I really believe that out of this, lots of businesses will move towards a more agile workforce.

Without doubt the pollution figures will have dropped markedly.  It would be interesting to see what benefits there are to the planet as a result of just this momentary pause on a lot of industry. It could inspire greater action in the near future.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Ok then, if all of the Royal Family get wiped out which member of FT is first in line?

Me.

My Dad was convinced for years we were distantly related to Lady Jane Grey lol

I definitely buy into the theory that a lot more of the population have got/had this than were aware of, although not 50%. As other have said we NEED these post virus tests. If it’s true that even 10-20% of the population have had it then normality is going to return a lot quicker than we thought a week or two ago. One things that may explain the hospitalisation/death rate is that it’s all happened very quickly and COVID-19 is actually incredibly contagious, so it’s essentially a whole flu season happening in a very short space of time, which would overwhelm healthcare facilities. 

Edited by Lionator

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I definitely buy into the theory that a lot more of the population have got/had this than were aware of, although not 50%. As other have said we NEED these post virus tests. If it’s true that even 10-20% of the population have had it then normality is going to return a lot quicker than we thought a week or two ago. One things that may explain the hospitalisation/death rate is that it’s all happened very quickly and COVID-19 is actually incredibly contagious, so it’s essentially a whole flu season happening in a very short space of time, which would overwhelm healthcare facilities. 

There's been an app launched which is tracking people's symptoms - same approach as the UK Flu Survey which they run. That should help give a good idea. It's called COVID Symptom Tracker. This is a proper funded study, so will have been rigorously developed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

He makes Trump seem like the epitome of thoughtful, far-sighted government.

Good to see that the governors of big cities like Rio and Sao Paulo have the federally devolved powers to put a saner response into practice.

21 minutes ago, polarbear said:

satellite images are showing significant drops in pollution and nitrogen oxide across china, italy and new york so far!

imagine what we could do when we're really pushed...

You’re a Polar Bear, you would say that!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sir Shep said:

Sir Shep? You know I’m just saying, already got my foot in the door :thumbup:

A cabinet post as Minister for Sheepdogs, possibly? Could be an important position given problems with food distribution. ;)

• Haha 1

https://covid.joinzoe.com/?fbclid=IwAR2lz5GaUjKBpYuchd5E4UnB6XNQdjKW70iIII0Z_lGqPrqHP4K3DcCINW0

The link above is to a website to download an app for your phone. A bunch of scientists and NHS researchers would like people check in for 1 minute everyday. That way they can track the spread and do all their scientific research.

Also think if they see it spiking in certain area they can warn the NHS and the vunerable people. It was easy to set up. Just asks you a few simple questions height, weight, gender and health related questions etc. It doesn't take long at all. Up to you if you put your name or phone number (I think that is just so they can warn you if you're vunerable).

Edited by Guesty

2 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Just trying to win Meghan over for myself and he is in the way! :D

<insert dr evil failed plan>

I vote for @Dr The Singh

Good call. Put a responsible medical man in charge in these trying times.

I'm sure none of us can think of anyone better to examine us if left in a vulnerable state.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I read a few weeks ago that italy had a unusually high flu epidemic in early january. If you have flu, isn't your immune system low because its trying to fight off the flu, link that with another highly contagious virus and it could explain the high mortality rates in italy.

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I read a few weeks ago that italy had a unusually high flu epidemic in early january. If you have flu, isn't your immune system low because its trying to fight off the flu, link that with another highly contagious virus and it could explain the high mortality rates in italy.

Do people get tested for the flu generally or is it a case of ticking a list of symptoms? (Asking as someone who has never had the flu)

4 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

Do people get tested for the flu generally or is it a case of ticking a list of symptoms? (Asking as someone who has never had the flu)

I don’t know, I’ve never had it but I would have thought it would be doctors reporting it because of flu jabs that older people are supposed to have, or even worse, what if this new virus and the flu jab don’t get on with each other

Edited by yorkie1999

34 minutes ago, Guesty said:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/?fbclid=IwAR2lz5GaUjKBpYuchd5E4UnB6XNQdjKW70iIII0Z_lGqPrqHP4K3DcCINW0

The link above is to a website to download an app for your phone. A bunch of scientists and NHS researchers would like people check in for 1 minute everyday. That way they can track the spread and do all their scientific research.

Also think if they see it spiking in certain area they can warn the NHS and the vunerable people. It was easy to set up. Just asks you a few simple questions height, weight, gender and health related questions etc. It doesn't take long at all. Up to you if you put your name or phone number (I think that is just so they can warn you if you're vunerable).

Why isn’t this being run by govt?  I have an in built distrust of giving private information to projects that have commercial partners ......

if this project is important then the state should be running it and then people would have confidence in giving their data 

31 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

Sounds like Corona Virus can be milder than flu in some cases. I have had the proper flu. I think a big problem is: a lot of people think they've had the flu when they haven't.

My symptoms were: couldn't really leave my bed for nearly two weeks; fever in high 30's; laid in a lake of sweat for 2 weeks; couldn't even keep down water; just ached so badly everywhere; lost around 2 stone in weight (11st down to 9); was hallucinating (I remember spiders crawling all over the walls and ceiling) and a terrible cough (it took 4 weeks for my voice to return to normal).

Doctors confirmed it was the flu over the phone, but I was never tested. They just said phone for an ambulance if it gets worse. At one point it took my mum 5 minutes to bring me round and she thought I'd died my breathing was so shallow.

If I got that now I'd phone for an ambulance on about day 2 thinking the worst. As soon as anyone says the flu I mentally go straight back to laying there seeing the spiders (and watching some safari programme with Ben Fogle in my more lucid moments) - and it was over 15 years ago.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 2

Walking outside and was passed by a police car twice, worried I might get stopped and fined but they just drove by. Anyone know of someone who has been stopped and fined!. I am used to social distancing anyway so doesn’t affect me much. I usually go library but can’t do that now.i hope everyone on foxestalk stays safe. My mental health is taking a real hit with all this and I imagine it’s affecting everyone like this.