Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Utter bollocks. For the past few days we have been testing about 5k people per day, all with symptoms, with only about a 15% positivity rate. If half of us have already got it with zero symptoms, you’d expect almost everyone with actual symptoms to test positive.

Publishing this stuff is really dangerous if it pushes the government back into that flawed ‘herd immunity’ plan. i.e. whatever Trump is doing at the moment.

Edited by brucey

14 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

This seems be a thing with my company. It is early days but in four days of working from home, I've got loads more done than I usually do. I've got a makeshift home office set up and I'm at my desk at 7am and working through all day. Still answering emails in the evening. But my boss is constantly checking up on me. I'm convinced he thinks I'm sat watching Netflix and polishing the lighthouse or something.

Even when I had a domestic emegency this afternoon (went to drop some supplies round to my dad at lunchtime - found him in a heap on the floor where he'd been since last night! - called ambulance and packed him off to hospital) was still back in the saddle 90 minutes later. 

I trust my team, so why does't he trust me? We are all desperate to keep things going so we still have jobs on the other side, but my boss thinks we're all sat tossing it off!

Fear.

Fear that if he actually trusts you to do the job your paid to do, he won't be able to justify his existence anymore.

In order for him to feel like he's 'adding value' he'll keep meddling in your work and operating at a level below where he should be. 

And he also might see you as a threat. Deep down he probably knows that you're better than him, therefore he'll try and 'keep you in your box' by constantly checking on you.

Basically he's just behaving like a glorified 'box ticker' and on your case in order to make himself feel better about his own insecurities.

It's usually something like that :)

P.S. Hope your old man is O.K. mate :fc:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

This seems be a thing with my company. It is early days but in four days of working from home, I've got loads more done than I usually do. I've got a makeshift home office set up and I'm at my desk at 7am and working through all day. Still answering emails in the evening. But my boss is constantly checking up on me. I'm convinced he thinks I'm sat watching Netflix and polishing the lighthouse or something.

Even when I had a domestic emegency this afternoon (went to drop some supplies round to my dad at lunchtime - found him in a heap on the floor where he'd been since last night! - called ambulance and packed him off to hospital) was still back in the saddle 90 minutes later. 

I trust my team, so why does't he trust me? We are all desperate to keep things going so we still have jobs on the other side, but my boss thinks we're all sat tossing it off!

Had a discussion with a colleague over the phone today. 

One department had issued and hour by hour plan of what to do all week.

Whereas our dept are very laid back and trust the team to get on with it (that's not all nicely nicely trust tho..I feel it's a chance to give the bad eggs plenty of rope to hang themselves)

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Whereas our dept are very laid back and trust the team to get on with it (that's not all nicely nicely trust tho..I feel it's a chance to give the bad eggs plenty of rope to hang themselves)

I’m having daily Google hangouts with my commercial team. We’re in disaster recovery mode basically, so trying to find out what the commercial market is doing. We’re worried people will start to go pop on us, then impact our cash flow. 

I’ve given them a template with what we need to know, then let them get on with it. 

...... they can’t go off playing golf, or down the pub now can they!! 

• Like 1

Jeezuz, sounds like being back at school!

As long as people know what's expected, that's fine - then trust them to get on on with it. 

In times like this you'll see the cream rise and the shit sink.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, brucey said:

Utter bollocks. For the past few days we have been testing about 5k people per day, all with symptoms, with only about a 15% positivity rate. If half of us have already got it with zero symptoms, you’d expect almost everyone with actual symptoms to test positive.

Publishing this stuff is really dangerous if it pushes the government back into that flawed ‘herd immunity’ plan. i.e. whatever Trump is doing at the moment.

Is that the case or is it more that we are testing people as they go into hospital? Bearing in mind the huge proportion who will have mild symptoms/none at all, there’s a possibility the figure is really high. Saying that, 50% does sound a lot! But I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a lot of people on here who have had it but don’t realise 

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If lots of folk have the symptoms but test negative, what's going on? Is there a 'flu bug going round as well?

There are simply loads of upper repsiratory infections/viruses around. This is the trouble. Unless you are specifically tested for the corona virus and pretty much only those in hospital have been until very recently you cannot say you have definitely had the virus. Lots of people may think they have had it as things like flu can be very nasty indeed.

The anti body testing will be a real potential game changer if it works as we will be able to see those who have had it but basically been asymptomatic or suffered very mild symptoms.

• Like 1

This is our wartime in theory. 

We’ll see who’s willing to go the extra mile. I’ve already have some people say “I’m not doing that” and “that’s not my job”. Whereas others have said, “I’ll do whatever is required”. 

Everything is remembered ...... we’re in this together ultimately. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, brucey said:

Probably is optimistic to say the least but the current testing only picks up current cases and from what I’ve read is not that sensitive. The real test of this theory would be a blood antibody test which should show all who have had......which is what they are planning to do

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

Is that the case or is it more that we are testing people as they go into hospital? Bearing in mind the huge proportion who will have mild symptoms/none at all, there’s a possibility the figure is really high. Saying that, 50% does sound a lot! But I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a lot of people on here who have had it but don’t realise 

This is why we urgently need the anti body test of which they say thay have ordered 3 million If I heard correctly.

13 minutes ago, brucey said:

Trump isn’t taking that approach mate, we’ve been in lockdown longer than the U.K.

• Like 1

Just now, Sly said:

This is our wartime in theory. 

We’ll see who’s willing to go the extra mile. I’ve already have some people say “I’m not doing that” and “that’s not my job”. Whereas others have said, “I’ll do whatever is required”. 

Everything is remembered ...... we’re in this together ultimately. 

Bang on.

You'll soon see who's really committed and who's swinging the lead.

We'll look back on this and see who stepped up and who hid away.

I like your style mate :thumbup:

17 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Doubt there is any specific guidance. You could see if your local area has any restrictions on pollution but best bet is probably just to ask them politely if they could move the burner further away from your garden or something?

We've asked them before last summer if they can turn it off, which they did for a while.  It's all you can smell throughout the house

17 minutes ago, brucey said:

Does seem too good to be true. Presumably not peer reviewed.

10 hours ago, Innovindil said:

I'm an engineer. Just announced we're finishing packing these last orders. Doors shut at 9.

Feel like shit letting customers down. :(

I know it feels shit but it's the right call. The amount of cars and people still out, I can see much strickter rules being implemented in the not to distant future. 

London tubes still being rammed shows how his statement last night didn't do as it should have.

7 minutes ago, reynard said:

This is why we urgently need the anti body test of which they say thay have ordered 3 million If I heard correctly.

Yeah I really want to know if I have had it - will be gutted if I haven’t and it turns out to be something else! I am going to continuing life with the assumption that I haven’t until confirmed otherwise.

8 minutes ago, rachhere said:

End of January, both my other half and my daughter came down with something really bad, so much so my wife ended up being given an inhaler, they’re both pretty resilient to colds etc. Last month I woke up 3 or 4 times in the middle of the night dripping in sweat that I put down to us buying a 12 tog quilt at Christmas, but it hasn’t happened since . Makes you wonder if something has already gone round. Imagine Boris addressing the nation and saying something like Gotcha! Bit like your granny dying and leaving you a million quid in the will.

• Haha 1

Regarding the testing ............ I believe all persons admitted into hospital each day (whatever their problem) are tested.  As are NHS frontline staff who show symptoms.  The test doesn’t show if you had it so the fact these numbers aren’t  hugely  higher than 15/20% reflects the fact that some people tested my have already had this some weeks ago - that’s what the oxford prof would say but I’m not in agreement with her. 

33 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If lots of folk have the symptoms but test negative, what's going on? Is there a 'flu bug going round as well?

There's always lots of colds and flu going around at this time of the year, just because we now have Covid 19 doesn't mean that the others have gone away 

• Like 1

Well that's me all packed in for the foreseeable.  To update on my post from yesterday most of our extra food and milk is now in the local homeless shelter to be passed on to the people who need it, the rest will be taken to a local school tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

End of January, both my other half and my daughter came down with something really bad, so much so my wife ended up being given an inhaler, they’re both pretty resilient to colds etc. Last month I woke up 3 or 4 times in the middle of the night dripping in sweat that I put down to us buying a 12 tog quilt at Christmas, but it hasn’t happened since . Makes you wonder if something has already gone round. Imagine Boris addressing the nation and saying something like Gotcha! Bit like your granny dying and leaving you a million quid in the will.

Yeah I can't help wondering if I already caught this around late January time.  My symptoms included a runny nose and a mild cough, but also incredibly painful joints (so much so that I really struggled with stairs for a few days) and the worst temperature regulation I can remember experiencing (we're talking shivering cold despite being sat in my tiny and uncomfortably warm office with my heavy winter coat zipped all the way up).  Had some violent shits the day it all passed too...  At the time we didn't know about joint pain or shits being a part of it and it was when there was only a few confirmed cases in the country all linked to that Steve Walsh bloke, so none of us really considered that it was actually Coronavirus at the time but now I'm not so sure...