Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

38 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

Got told today by our managers that our warehouse will stay open as we are key workers. We make and dispatch parts for diggers :dunno:

My place is closing this week, unhappy workers forced the managements hands, we make parts for JCB, CAT and Volvo.

8 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

It's quite amazing seeing nurses who left critical care years and years ago just getting scrubs on and ****ing smashing it. You really do see the best of people at times like this.

Beautiful.

Still in the muscle memory all these year after.

Hero's the lotta ya

23 minutes ago, String fellow said:

The symptoms of dehydration are usually lack of urine and the skin behaving differently to a pinch. However, there may be other less well-known symptoms, such as the voice becoming squeakier and a really spooky one - the skin folds around the eye sockets alter, which makes you look quite different.

Sounds like youre describing this chap

salad_fingers.0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quite enjoying working from home. The company I work for has basically paused the function of my role for the time being meaning I have a lot of down time at the mo but it’s given me the opportunity to do some e-learning which has been good! Managed to smash out an online agile course this afternoon, which I passed. I’m finding it really important just to set daily goals and try your hardest to keep yourself honest and stick to them. 

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

a) he's a control freak

b) he doesn't trust you or his team (probably because his boss doesn't trust him)

c) he's scared that you'll under perform and therefore make him look stupid 

d) he's been over promoted and is incompetent

Luckily, it's people like this that keep me in a job 

Spot on!! 

Observations on the long trek home. 

The rural/woodland footpaths were still pretty busy with family's, cyclists, dog walkers and joggers (never seen so many new joggers tbh) lol

Had to go into Tesco for a couple of essentials and it was bloody lovely, no panic, plenty on shelves, the on edge atmosphere of the last week or so had disappeared. Almost felt a relief to all that the "lockdown" had finally been announced

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

a) he's a control freak

b) he doesn't trust you or his team (probably because his boss doesn't trust him)

He's the owner of the company and my only direct report. A combination of all four I reckon. I already had a great deal of contempt for him before this whole situation and was looking to leave, but it's now evolved to full on hate. Stuck between a rock and a hard place for the time being.

21 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

They’ve done the same at our place, tell you to wash your hands more and stay 2 metres apart. Yet it’s actually impossible to stay 2 meters apart all the time at our place. I suppose we just keep going into to work, mixing with lots of people, risking ourselves everyday until the government change the statement. 

The 2 metres apart has got to be the most ill thought out idea ever. Ever seen that bit in Topgun where Maverick flies across the wash from that other jet, well, that's exactly the same as walking into someone else's exhaled breath, even though you've never got closer than 2 metres.

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

I have been self isolating with symptoms consistent with the virus as well, thankfully pretty mild. For me it started off with fatigue, progressed onto a fever and a headache, and then some shortness of breathe. After about 5 days I started getting a more persistent cough, but nothing like some have described. The government guidance concerns me to be honest - I think it's too basic to say to look out for a cough and a fever. Any sense of typical symptoms associated with the flu or cold I would be taking caution, and see how your symptoms progress. 

I suspect you have it ......  If you lived in the south east I would be pretty sure. The shortness of breath, new cough and fever could all on their own be indicative but three together are pretty conclusive imo 

you won’t know for sure till the antibody tests become widely available. 

55 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I've been socially distancing since last Wednesday. Had a bit of a snivel a couple of weeks back that threw my office into a panic. However, nothing developed from it and felt fine 2 days later. Only outside contact I've had is walking along routes strictly avoiding people. 

All going well until Sunday night when I started coughing. Now feel quite unwell but don't have a high temperature (I've got an electronic thermometer) breathing not too bad to be concerned about yet. The missrs is working from home but last week 2 of her coworkers have developed symptoms, one of which has now tested positive for CV19. 

My problem is that I'm 61 and in an 'at risk' group due to immuno suppression drugs. Got a call from the hospital this morning who told me that I must self isolate for 12 weeks. 

Worried how this might develop. 

Don’t take any chances - perhaps you should have told the hospital your concerns when they called this morning ??

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Any advice or tips on home schooling two key stage 2 children please?

Im dreading it. :(

These should help to begin with...

https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resources/parents/extra-subjects-parents/school-closures-category-free-resources-parents (loads of stuff on here and free to sign up at the mo for parents)

https://classroomsecrets.co.uk/coronavirus-making-the-most-of-home-learning/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize

Has your school sent home any learning packs, or similar? If not, PM me your email address and I'll see what I can come up with ;) 

What year groups are your kids in? 

If you need help with anything specific, feel free to PM me. :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Very good news if true. THey don’t really go into the methodology used. The sooner an antibody test is developed the better.

I wonder if the truth lies somewhere in between (as it so often does) 

looking at the anecdotal increase of people showing symptoms this week compared to last says that this is motoring faster than govt expected but that oxford model seems awry in respect of both China and Italy’s experiences 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

I suspect you have it ......  If you lived in the south east I would be pretty sure. The shortness of breath, new cough and fever could all on their own be indicative but three together are pretty conclusive imo 

you won’t know for sure till the antibody tests become widely available. 

Don’t take any chances - perhaps you should have told the hospital your concerns when they called this morning ??

I did. It was the Rhumatology consultant and she contacted me as a follow up to a massive flare that I had a couple of weeks ago (I couldn't walk). She was more concerned about the amount of steroids I'm taking. I was given a wait and see brief and told to reduce the drugs even if it risks other problems....and self isolate for 12 weeks! 

47 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Working from home today. After offering each individual employee the choice to interpret the government's message how they wish (!), I received a very manipulative, guilt-trippy call from my boss telling me about everyone else who had come in and talking about the difficult decisions regarding furloughs he was going to have to make. Painted a picture without telling me explicitly what to do - his usual slimey trick. I don't understand why he thinks I can't work at home? I'm a digital marketer! 95% of my work is done online! Piling on even more completely unnecessary stress to the situation. Feel at a low ebb today.

Jesus sounds like you have an absolute dickhead boss, would rather risk everyone getting sick and some maybe getting hospitalised by going into the office when the job can be done at home. I am in online marketing and I actually do more work in home office somehow. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Very good news if true. THey don’t really go into the methodology used. The sooner an antibody test is developed the better.

Interesting article and good news if true but it doesn't make sense to me.

The death rate should be following the same curve as the infection rate, but obviously shallower, which is what is happening.  If the Oxford model is true then the graph would shoot up straight away and the death rates would be higher, earlier.

I think?

For those  at home with children, we are making use of Joe Wicks PE video’s. He does them live at 9am everyday 

Got nearly 1 million views to his livestream this morning!!!

For example

38 minutes ago, Izzy said:

a) he's a control freak

This seems be a thing with my company. It is early days but in four days of working from home, I've got loads more done than I usually do. I've got a makeshift home office set up and I'm at my desk at 7am and working through all day. Still answering emails in the evening. But my boss is constantly checking up on me. I'm convinced he thinks I'm sat watching Netflix and polishing the lighthouse or something.

Even when I had a domestic emegency this afternoon (went to drop some supplies round to my dad at lunchtime - found him in a heap on the floor where he'd been since last night! - called ambulance and packed him off to hospital) was still back in the saddle 90 minutes later. 

I trust my team, so why does't he trust me? We are all desperate to keep things going so we still have jobs on the other side, but my boss thinks we're all sat tossing it off!

35 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

He's the owner of the company and my only direct report. A combination of all four I reckon. I already had a great deal of contempt for him before this whole situation and was looking to leave, but it's now evolved to full on hate. Stuck between a rock and a hard place for the time being.

Just got to try and ride it out for now and when things start improving just get yourself out of there. Nothing much worse than being stuck working for an absolute arsehole. Especially when they know you think they’re an arsehole but know you can do fvck all about it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pds said:

What's the situation regarding outdoor wood burners? Our next door neighbour has there's on full blast for hours every night at the minute. Not the nicest when you want to gonna n the garden for fresh air.

Doubt there is any specific guidance. You could see if your local area has any restrictions on pollution but best bet is probably just to ask them politely if they could move the burner further away from your garden or something?