Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Champions League Points Required

43 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Certain media articles suggest 30% crowds in September with no away fans. Given the European competitions start in October, can’t see much of an increase unless some European countries situations are a lot better which would allow an away trip. 

It’s more likely the turn of the year when we’d have something of a return to some normality 

spot on. without wanting this to sound like a medical  journal, just watch the UK new cases rise in august now you've done a partial  reopening. I live in  the US, every  state that re-opened even in a controlled way, has seen a rise in  cases,  the UK will be no  different. I can't see any fans being allowed at CL games in 2020. Remember allegedly part of the initial  surge was fans travelling to and from euro games in early and mid march across the continent and why Italy and spain got hit hard first. I've saved a bunch of money to watch us in the europe, i couldn't go last time as i  had a family member ill, but i can't see myself being allowed to any of these games as i live in the US. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swiss_tony said:

spot on. without wanting this to sound like a medical  journal, just watch the UK new cases rise in august now you've done a partial  reopening. I live in  the US, every  state that re-opened even in a controlled way, has seen a rise in  cases,  the UK will be no  different. I can't see any fans being allowed at CL games in 2020. Remember allegedly part of the initial  surge was fans travelling to and from euro games in early and mid march across the continent and why Italy and spain got hit hard first. I've saved a bunch of money to watch us in the europe, i couldn't go last time as i  had a family member ill, but i can't see myself being allowed to any of these games as i live in the US. :(

The US never had a proper lockdown though to get the numbers right down. 

Cases haven't surged in France, Italy, Spain or Germany since they have ended lockdown. 

Cases didn't surge in early June when we had a partial reopening.

I'm not sure the US can be compared with any other country as the lockdowns there were too short. 

There might be a bit of increase like the other euro nations but I'd be shocked if it went anything like the US.

Edited by Stevosevic

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I’d disagree with almost everything written there. Assuming the number one result we need to go for us is we beat Bournemouth.

I want Sheff Utd to beat Chelsea, they are not going to catch us and we need to get above Chelsea.

I want Arsenal to beat Spurs and Spurs have nothing left to play for when we play them. 
I also wouldn’t mind Wolves winning and having something left to play for on the last day against Chelsea.

That would put us clear of the chasing pack and 2 points clear of Chelsea with 3 to play. We’d still be all but certain of 5th but not having to worry about the CAS.

This

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I’d disagree with almost everything written there. Assuming the number one result we need to go for us is we beat Bournemouth.

I want Sheff Utd to beat Chelsea, they are not going to catch us and we need to get above Chelsea.

I want Arsenal to beat Spurs and Spurs have nothing left to play for when we play them. 
I also wouldn’t mind Wolves winning and having something left to play for on the last day against Chelsea.

That would put us clear of the chasing pack and 2 points clear of Chelsea with 3 to play. We’d still be all but certain of 5th but not having to worry about the CAS.

The article just simply makes the point of what needs to happen for us to be guaranteed Champions League.

I would also rather have a few teams that can hypothetically still catch us who are 6th/7th but instead be back in 3rd above Chelsea.

I am not confident that we can stay in Top 4. Having said that, 5th would still be a massive achievement. Would just be a shame after the first half of the season we had.

As I said before, just gotta take it match by match. Sheff Utd vs Chelsea, then us vs Bournemouth, then Man City decision, then Man U play Southampton. The race for 3rd/4th/5th is wide open, and even the other European places below are so tight. A very interesting end to the season bar the title race.

spurs may not be that bothered to beat us if Chelsea’s involvement in the CL is uncertain .......... in a totally shite season, if spurs could contribute to Chelsea not making the CL then that’s something for their fans to hang onto ...... 

I can’t see us getting more than seven more points max from the last four games.  Of course could easily be three or four. 

will Chelsea get 7?  Will yanited get 9? 

Edited by st albans fox

We still have a good chance to get CL football. We need to go into the final game vs United not needing a win to get there. I also think they'll be a few surprising results yet. United won't win the next three, nor will Chelsea so I think its still well in the balance. 

Maximum points for teams left that can catch us. We are now guaranteed 8th place. Which if Man City’s ban is upheld and Arsenal do not win the FA Cup means we’re all going on a European tour! 1 win and a draw against Sheff Utd makes certain of 6th.

Two wins makes certain of 5th, 3 wins and a draw makes certain of 3rd.

If Chelsea were to lose to Liverpool, then wins against Spurs and Bournemouth and a draw against Sheff Utd would mean we qualify with a game to spare and the result against United becomes irrelevant.

3.Chelsea       69

4.Leicester     71

5. Man Utd      70

6.Wolves        64

7.Sheff Utd     63

8.Arsenal        62

9.Spurs           61

• Like 1

Do you remember most of us saying how the Manchester game at the beginning of the season which we totally messed up could cost us.

Beating them in the final game may not even be necessary to make that statement irrelevant.

I’ll happily admit that I couldn’t see any way we wouldn’t be playing CL next season .....

I couldn’t see yanited winning game after game 

I couldnt see wolves winning enough games 

worst way we’d be fourth ......

apologies to all of you who saw it more clearly than I did 

we will struggle to get another point ! 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2020 at 13:09, RutlanderFox said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-results-leicester-city-need-4308691?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

The five results Leicester City need to qualify for the Champions League by Monday

If four Premier League scorelines and a decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport go City's way between Saturday and Monday, they will be back in Europe's top competition

Leicester City could secure a place in the Champions League by Monday if results go their way this weekend.

City’s hopes of a return to Europe’s top competition were boosted on Wednesday night after Wolves suffered a last-gasp defeat at Sheffield United. It means City’s cushion inside the top five stands at seven points with four games remaining. And if four results and one court case go their way, they will be back in the Champions League in four days’ time.

Here’s what City need to happen.

Sheffield United v Chelsea – Saturday, July 11 – 5.30pm kick-off – City need Sheffield United to fail to win

Although it seems illogical with City chasing down Chelsea for a place in the top four, they need Frank Lampard’s side to at least get a draw at Bramall Lane to halt the Blades’ charge for fifth.

Wolves v Everton – Sunday, July 12 – 12pm kick-off – City need Wolves to lose

Back-to-back defeats have severely dented Wolves’ hopes of reaching the Champions League spots, and City will be hoping they fall to a third straight loss on Sunday.

Although City would need Nuno Espirito Santo’s side to lose to mathematically secure Champions League football, a draw would effectively be good enough, given the huge margin in goal difference.

Tottenham v Arsenal – Sunday, July 12 – 4.30pm kick-off – City need the sides to draw

To keep their hopes alive of wrapping up Champions League qualification by Monday, City need Sunday’s north London derby to finish all square.

That is unless Spurs fail to beat Bournemouth on Thursday night. If Jose Mourinho’s men don’t get the better of the Cherries, then City can cheer for a Tottenham victory against the Gunners.

Bournemouth v City – Sunday, July 12 – 7pm kick-off – City need to win

City need to do what they have never done before in the Premier League and beat Bournemouth away.

Although they defeated the Cherries when they last met in the Championship, none of City’s four top-flight trips to the Vitality Stadium have ended in victory.

Uefa v Manchester City – Monday, July 13 – City need Uefa’s ban to be upheld

The final piece of the jigsaw is the big one in many ways. Man City have appealed their two-year suspension from Uefa competitions for breaking financial rules, and after a hearing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), an outcome is expected on Monday.

If CAS decide to uphold Uefa’s decision, then fifth place in the Premier League becomes a Champions League spot.

If CAS rule that Man City’s appeal is successful, then fifth place becomes a Europa League spot again and Leicester will have been wishing they had cheered on Sheffield United against Chelsea two days earlier.

So far a grand total of zero of those things have happened with only the Man City CAS decision to go lol