Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Champions League Points Required

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

I think its naive to operate on the basis that 5th will be enough. Man City have enough money to make this go sufficiently away that they can stay in competition. Surely they'd take a massive fine and some squad restrictions or something.

Agreed. 4th until we know the result of their appeal. 

55 minutes ago, KingsX said:

There's not much point to discussing this further until the 13th.  The CAS decision will be the difference between needing 65 - 67-ish points or more like 60 - 62.

This.

If Man City are banned I think we're good. 

Otherwise it's between us and Chelsea for 4th probably with similar difficulty games.

Come on Palace...

4 hours ago, ealingfox said:

I think its naive to operate on the basis that 5th will be enough. Man City have enough money to make this go sufficiently away that they can stay in competition. Surely they'd take a massive fine and some squad restrictions or something.

Oh the irony of Man City having enough money to make their predicament go away, when the whole reason for the two year van from European competition is because of their financial wrongdoings.

With that tonight we are still in fourth, a win against Bournemouth and we are certain of Europa league and a top 6 finish.

Chelsea       72

Leicester     71

Man Utd      70

Wolves        67

Sheff Utd     63

Spurs           63

Arsenal        62

Burnley        61

man utd have a very  easy  run in. us and chelsea have it less easy.

i can see both of them  getting 9 points from their final  games at least, and it depends what man utd do with their game in hand. win and they're only a point behind, lose that and it's game on, but they're playing villa. :)

we need a minimum of 2 wins and a draw before the last game where a draw might be good enough, but i  can't see us getting that on  current form.

i  think we're going to come up a point short of 5th never mind CL.

11 minutes ago, Mythyaar said:

Say man u win 3 and get a draw out of next 4. We win 2 and lose 1. That will put us on equal points going into the crunch final game v them.

So we would "just" need not to lose to them!!

If the game is a three point swing either way, it’s a crunch game. They have ten goals to catch on goal difference and given their opponents, I can see that. Anything like a eight goal swing with a final game makes it possible. 

As mentioned though the CAS verdict hinges it all, theres a chance both us and Man U go into the game where a point sees us safe because out of Chelsea and Wolves, one of them will drop points 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Sunday is an important three points. Win that, and at the very worst we are still in the top four.

We then move on to Monday or whenever the CAS verdict is next week, if it's good news for us then we are at least 4 points clear of 6th with three to go, and that's only if Wolves take two wins from Sheff Utd and Everton.

If it's bad news at CAS it remains in our hands. It would take something remarkable for Chelsea to win 6 on the spin; likewise United are unbeaten since January. We'd only need one slip up from United to push the gap back out to 3-4 points, which would be surely enough given GD to not need a result on the final day.

Anyway, I have a feeling about Villa on Thursday...

If we beat Bournemouth and Sheff Utd and draw with Spurs and Man Utd - not unreasonable we finish on 67 points - Chelsea would need to get 8 points from Wolves, Liverpool, Sheff Utd and Norwich.

Man Utd would need to get maximum points from Villa, Southampton, Crystal Palace and West Ham.

*wolves would need maximum points and a 23 goal turn around in GD - this would also mean Chelsea would need maximum points from their 3 other games to both finish above us.

17 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

If we beat Bournemouth and Sheff Utd and draw with Spurs and Man Utd - not unreasonable we finish on 67 points - Chelsea would need to get 8 points from Wolves, Liverpool, Sheff Utd and Norwich.

Man Utd would need to get maximum points from Villa, Southampton, Crystal Palace and West Ham.

*wolves would need maximum points and a 23 goal turn around in GD - this would also mean Chelsea would need maximum points from their 3 other games to both finish above us.

If united got maximum points and then drew with us, they would finish on 68 points 

If we need to win or avoid defeat against Man Utd, then I don't fancy our chances. 

Final day, at Old Trafford and with a CL spot to be decided? You can almost guarantee a dodgy call from the Ref, especially with VAR at their disposal. 

Edit: whoops we're at home aren't we? :facepalm:

Edited by Les-TA-Jon

1 minute ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

If we need to win or avoid defeat against Man Utd, then I don't fancy our chances. 

Final day, at Old Trafford and with a CL spot to be decided? You can almost guarantee a dodgy call from the Ref, especially with VAR at their disposal. 

That certainly would be suspicious if the game is played at Old Trafford

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

We won't be there. We're home

• Like 1

United throwing the kitchen sink at games with all out attack and it looks impressive, but they were shaky at the back against Bournemouth. I think they probably look the most likely out of the 4 competing at the moment but wouldn't assume they'll pick up all points on offer.

I suppose there is some maneuverability on points because of the fixtures. With the game against United on the final day (presuming GD stays healthy) we could be 3 behind and still go into that needing a win to get top 4. Can see a situation where we'd go into the final day 3 points ahead of them and just have to not get spanked...Brendan plays all the CDMs.

Personally think Chelsea's run looks more difficult and they have already shown vulnerability by losing to West Ham and squeaking past Palace. But if you asked me to guess where we'll finish at the moment, I'd pick 5th. 

• Like 1

If Sheffield United beat Wolves tonight or even get a draw, we’d have to completely fall apart to not finish in the top 5, which by Monday could be all we need. Obviously I’d rather us finish higher but qualifying for the Champions League is huge for the kind of signings we are able to make, progressing as a club etc. 

6 minutes ago, Jack1993 said:

If Sheffield United beat Wolves tonight or even get a draw, we’d have to completely fall apart to not finish in the top 5, which by Monday could be all we need. Obviously I’d rather us finish higher but qualifying for the Champions League is huge for the kind of signings we are able to make, progressing as a club etc. 

Would finishing 5th mean we'd have to play a load of qualifying games?

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Nope.

All four of our CL teams go straight into the group stages.

Ah just realised we wouldn't be qualifying as the 5th team. Doh!