Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Champions League Points Required

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Would finishing 5th mean we'd have to play a load of qualifying games?

No, all four CL places go straight into the group stage now.

If 5th is a EL place we'd go straight into the group stage for that as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Would finishing 5th mean we'd have to play a load of qualifying games?

I’m sure whether we finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th (5th if Man City Ban holds up) then we will be straight in the group stages and a very low seed, but I’d love a Spanish giant home & away 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack1993 said:

I’m sure whether we finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th (5th if Man City Ban holds up) then we will be straight in the group stages and a very low seed, but I’d love a Spanish giant home & away 

I’d personally love Barcelona away WC 19 October. As I’m already going to be in Salou

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

For the nth time, there would be no pre-qualifying for the CL whether we finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th (assuming the ban is upheld)

WOAH... no need to get angry... - Cheezburger - Funny Memes ...

As I explained in a later post.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Exasperated, not angry. Thanks for the meme though.

As i said for a stupid minute I thought we were talking of qualifying as a 5th team not a 4th team in 5th place.

Just now, Stevosevic said:

We shouldn't blow top 5 from here. 7 point lead with 4 games left. 

Over to you CAS....

If anyone can though. Leicester can :D.

I'm just hoping we forget points required and go on a bit of a winning streak to finish the season off.

huge weekend and 1 game tomorrow night, if spurs fail to beat both bournemouth tomorrow and arsenal on sunday, if sheff u fail to beat chelsea saturday, and if wolves fail to beat everton on sunday, which are all games before we play, then 3 points against bouremouth would all but guarantee 5th place, barring goal difference, huge incentive as 5th could then be confirmed come monday to be enough! so monday we could be confirmed as playing in next seasons champions league! For official confirmation we would need wolves to lose to everton, as goal difference could still theoretically be caught.

Edited by lcfcfoz
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If CAS find against Man City, then surely they will appeal to the Swiss high court or the European court ??

If CAS reduce the ban to one year then perhaps Man City will accept that

Believe CAS is the final option. Because any court proceedings would take place after competition has begun. So be a case of compensation rather than inclusion to the tournament.

In the latest case with a big club, CAS found AC Milan guilty but the punishment of a ban was considered excessive. Yet UEFA still insisted on the ban and was a part of negotiations. (As you’ve pointed out in the second sentence)

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Everyone’s maximum points with 4 games to go (Utd and Spurs have 5).

2 wins makes certain of 5th place and ensures 4th place goes to the last game of the season at least. 

Chelsea       72

Leicester     71

Man Utd      70

Wolves        64

Sheff Utd     63

Spurs           63

Arsenal        62

Burnley        61

Looking at the fixtures remaining I think Chelsea are probably the most nervous of dropping out of top 4. Could easily them getting only one more win and possibly a couple of draws, which if we win our next two leaves them unable to catch us due to our superior GD. This is pretty much in our own hands here to push for 3rd.

Guest bennytwohats
4 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Looking at the fixtures remaining I think Chelsea are probably the most nervous of dropping out of top 4. Could easily them getting only one more win and possibly a couple of draws, which if we win our next two leaves them unable to catch us due to our superior GD. This is pretty much in our own hands here to push for 3rd.

I mean I get the point you are making, but 'in our own hands' is pretty binary - it either is or it isn't. And in the case of us getting 3rd it isn't in our own hands. We need Chelsea to drop points - that's the very definition of not in our own hands.

We have the beauty of a four point gap. If we can win our next two it will put us in an amazing position with two games to go.... and I’m not wholly convinced United will win all of them. Plus they have a cup game to distract them. They will drop lints between now and when we play them. Personally I think they will drop points to Southampton, if they do, we might just need to win our next two, and we’re safe. Chelsea on the other hand have the same issue as united, with the cup and they’ve got to play Sheffield United, I really wouldn’t be looking at that as a given if I was Chelsea, not with their ropey back four. 

• Like 1