Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City start to become a global brand

Just looking a disparity between Champions and Europa League - surely it can't carry on as it is, from a prize money sense? The teams from less prestigious leagues benefit and the mid table teams who nick a place but can Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd really say they got something out of being in the smaller competition?

I hate the idea of a breakaway superleague but I'm also unsure of what the EL gives? Do Fulham fans hold their run with high regard?

Just now, Nod.E said:

You better hope we start doing badly then.

we have fel so far away from where we were. even the away ends in 90% of our games this season have been absolutely dire. the home support feels awkward and cringey now. bring back the proper fans

1 minute ago, KIRBYFOX93 said:

we have fel so far away from where we were. even the away ends in 90% of our games this season have been absolutely dire. the home support feels awkward and cringey now. bring back the proper fans

Part and parcel of success. 

If you want 'proper fans', go and support a Championship club.

• Like 2

Just now, Nod.E said:

Part and parcel of success. 

If you want 'proper fans', go and support a Championship club.

its not, look at all the other teams around us who all have decent support. the only other fans i see that are garbage in the league are Watford, Bournemouth and Brighton. 

1 minute ago, KIRBYFOX93 said:

its not, look at all the other teams around us who all have decent support. the only other fans i see that are garbage in the league are Watford, Bournemouth and Brighton. 

I'll bow down to your superior knowledge. 

I personally don't sit in different home ends each week, so I can't comment. 

You clearly must do, so I'll take your word for it. 

Just now, Nod.E said:

I'll bow down to your superior knowledge. 

I personally don't sit in different home ends each week, so I can't comment. 

You clearly must do, so I'll take your word for it. 

lol superior knowledge.

no need to be condescending, i do i go every week have been for about 13 years now and currently im enjoying it the least out of every season i've had excluding the puel era.

i think the teams great just the whole *passion* behind the club has disappeared. thats the saddest part 

In some ways getting to the top and playing in Europe can be problematic because as soon as the money comes in, it gets spent again on upgrades. If you don't then get European football the year following, you're running largely the same expenses with a big whole in the income. 

The wages to turnover ratio concerns me a little. I wonder how much that would come down with the players who we don't really need and want to get rid of but are still paying their wages (Ghezzal, Mendy, Slimani, James, Amartey). 

16 minutes ago, KIRBYFOX93 said:

lol superior knowledge.

no need to be condescending, i do i go every week have been for about 13 years now and currently im enjoying it the least out of every season i've had excluding the puel era.

i think the teams great just the whole *passion* behind the club has disappeared. thats the saddest part 

I used to think the same. Until I was about 23 (knocking on 30 now) I would always join in with the chants. Now, because I can’t get to every game I prefer to watch the football, watch the whole thing. Even when the balls dead it’s interesting to watch the players organise and see who’s doing what. This is after going to a fair few games as a neutral and taking the connection away, watching the whole game and what players are doing off the ball is fascinating and very enjoyable. 

Someone who doesn’t sing all game isn’t a worse fan than someone who does. IMO that’s a ridiculous view to have, some people go to watch football to watch football, some go to create an atmosphere and feel part of it. I (along with many others I assume) don’t feel like they need to sing to be part of it as they’ve already invested so much of their time to the club. 

This does have an effect of the atmosphere in general, but singing about the size of Cag’s kn0b for example, isn’t going to gee the boys up. I don’t sit there as a mute and do make some noise but some chants I just feel like I’d rather pass and watch the game. No less passion than anyone else, just personal preference.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A perspective from a member of the original Cleveland Browns Dawg Pound.  I was an STH, lived for the pre-game with my buds, and we all lived and died with the final score.  We were easily the loudest thing in the NFL and I was sure we were the 12th man and affected those results.

Exiting my 20s, the usual priorities came in (house, wife, job).  Then the owner moved the Browns and I was hit in the face with the reality it was never “my” club.  So priorities and perspectives change, it’s normal.  Fair play to those who keep going every week through their adulthood.  But few will see it exactly as they did in their careless youth.

I shredded my vocal cords over a few decades of three sports teams and too many concerts.  What they used to be able to keep up for hours, now I’ve got about five minutes worth to parcel out before I’m done.  If and when I make my Bucket List visit to the KP, I’ll sing the Vichai song but other than that, will mostly have to keep my powder dry.  I won’t be apathetic about a minute of it though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KIRBYFOX93 said:

i hope we don't become a global brand. our fan base is garbage enough. can't be doing with more plastics

Really dont see why people get so arsy about this. As long as we are filling the stadium and we are growing our fan base and worldwide appeal, who cares? I'd much rather be where we are, being successful and 3rd in the prem with a few "plastic fans' that may choose not to sing at games than be Leeds or Millwall who have loads of "proper fans" but are lingering in the championship. If you want us to continue to be successful in the premier league then you have to accept we will get a bigger fan base and not every one them people will go to every game home and away and not every one of them will sing at the games. Just because someone has a season ticket doesn't make them a bigger or better fan than someone who doesn't. The snobbery of some of our fans is staggering! 

• Thanks 1

I’ll join the chorus of people who say “just because you don’t get to every game, that doesn’t automatically make you a plastic fan”.  Unlike the previous poster above, I have had the great fortune to go to the stadia (Filbert Street and King Power) many times. By the way, I have also been to Bristol in the rain on Tuesday night, along with many other cities and towns. The end of season Leyton Orient,  FA Cup Harlow and Notts County friendly games being my favourites of all time. 

However, these days it is a rare occasion, despite my total devotion to Leicester City. In my case I live in Canada, but I’m sure that many people have other very valid reasons for not watching every game, or not singing through every game. I’m like the bloke above; I now lose my voice after about 15 minutes of singing, but I still love every minute of every game.....(except when Ndidi or Gray line up to take a shot from outside the box....then I just burst out laughing. Mind you, it still isn’t as much fun as watching Schlupp shoot one 30 yards over. Hahaha)

Personally, I don’t much like the sight of the Man City tourists taking selfies and looking at their cellphones during games, but I think that we will likely see more and more of it if we manage to sustain ourselves near the top of the Premiership. I’ll console myself with the fact that I’m pleased that people think “Glory Hunting” means supporting Leicester City now, rather than Man United. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

As cringey as it might be, next (this) season would be the best time to do an “All or Nothing” type documentary on the club.

If we want to increase the commercial status of the club, we’ve got to push ourselves out of the comfort zone and rely on things that aren’t traditionally “Leicester”. 

It would give the rest of the world a look at the world class facilities and get eyes on a club in rebuild mode.

My concern would be that this is completely off the table, as the club currently struggles to communicate, so the thought of having cameras undertaking interviews throughout a season, would terrify them. 

59 minutes ago, Sly said:

As cringey as it might be, next (this) season would be the best time to do an “All or Nothing” type documentary on the club.

If we want to increase the commercial status of the club, we’ve got to push ourselves out of the comfort zone and rely on things that aren’t traditionally “Leicester”. 

It would give the rest of the world a look at the world class facilities and get eyes on a club in rebuild mode.

My concern would be that this is completely off the table, as the club currently struggles to communicate, so the thought of having cameras undertaking interviews throughout a season, would terrify them. 

It’d also expose the incomplete behind the scenes. No way would they allow that to happen 

• Like 3