Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

Just now, Bert said:

Kante was worth much more than the transfer fee he left for. 

Yes, but considering the well-reported clause in his contract, we actually got more money from the transfer than we would have if he went to a CL club.
Besides, the obscene £40m for Drinkwater more than makes up for the revenue we potentially missed out on with Kanté.

7 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Whilst I admire your optimism, you talk about Arsenal stagnating and Spurs not being spectacular.

Yet credit us as top 6 and ignore the following

matchday 18-38

image.png.91c3d753e138560bce9cb2801a9b481c.png

matchday 28-38

image.png.141f3fb665d2266d385d979e2cff70ea.png 

Those tables just prove that Spurs and Arsenal are in exactly the bracket I put them in - challengers for top 6 but not certainties. We know our performances have been crap in that timeframe, but that was with several key injuries (Ndidi, Pereira, Maddison/Chilwell) and we know we're capable of playing at (and above) that level. I'm not saying its a given, I'm just saying that writing us off as needing 'something special' to get top 6 is needlessly pessimistic. We're in a group of 4 with Wolves/Arsenal/Spurs who all have very similar prospects for the coming season.

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Because we're selling our 10th best player for money above his ability. We're selling a player at what I believe will be his peak value and that is rarely a bad thing to do.

If you disagree Chilwell is our 10th best player then feel free to tell us what position you think he is?

He's our best in his position and will improve Chelseas team as well. I don't think that strengthens us. I think he is probably in my top 5 to be honest with Vardy, Ricardo, Evans and Ndidi in no particular order maybe Maddison is in that group as well.

Whenever we sell a player people on here always seem to suggest that they are awful which is just not true, the same happened with Maguire and it's happening now with Chilwell. Theres an argument that selling him for that much money is a good deal but it doesn't strengthen us on its own. As it stands (if Chilwell goes) we are going into next season with Fuchs and Thomas as our left back options which makes us weaker.

14 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

How does losing out first choice left back to a club we were competing with last season make us stronger in anyway lol

Maybe because he was our first choice left back because he was younger than Fuchs???

Im not being funny but people have more of a connection with him because he came through the academy.

He's not even the 5th best LB in the league.

If we sign this lad from Ajax we have a better player by far for much cheaper.

Chelsea will be furious with him after the first season because the lad makes loads of mistakes especially for that price tag. Im not saying he's a awful player but he isn't that good, Thomas looks like he's going to be a much better player.

20 minutes ago, katieakita said:

Probably not with a 5yr £10 million a year wage packet. If we have no replacement lined up fine bit of a worry. Last summer we sold Harry M for an obscene amount if we had kept him what would have worth now and Cags would probably have gone on the cheap. Our experts who scout and watch players train deserve a bit more credit.

and man utd finished above us... edging us out out of the champions league.  I am not against selling ... but not to our rivals

32 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Lets come back in a week's time and see if you still think we've given away the advantage/momentum.

Not saying everything will come off, but let's not judge at this point in time. As Finners said; its all about how you replace.

we replaced maguire with cags - but utd edged us pout of the champions league.....  we should not sell to rivals. why are we allowing checlsea to improved their team. sell him to lazio  or anywhere in spain.

Just now, foxinsocks said:

we replaced maguire with cags - but utd edged us pout of the champions league.....  we should not sell to rivals. why are we allowing checlsea to improved their team. sell him to lazio  or anywhere in spain.

Do you honestly think that's because of Maguire 🤣🤣🤣.

Jesus thats enough Internet for me today il check in tomorrow in the hope we have been linked to another player 

11 minutes ago, Xen said:

Those tables just prove that Spurs and Arsenal are in exactly the bracket I put them in - challengers for top 6 but not certainties. We know our performances have been crap in that timeframe, but that was with several key injuries (Ndidi, Pereira, Maddison/Chilwell) and we know we're capable of playing at (and above) that level. I'm not saying its a given, I'm just saying that writing us off as needing 'something special' to get top 6 is needlessly pessimistic. We're in a group of 4 with Wolves/Arsenal/Spurs who all have very similar prospects for the coming season.

The table is over 38 games 

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

If only it was that easy... Lazio aren't going to offer him 190k a week or pay us the money ask for. 

Easy to say sell him abroad, ever thought the player might not want to move to a new country? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

Ok, go and find a club in a City Chilwell wants to move to, a team he wants to play in, a manager who wants him, club can afford the transfer fee AND will pay most of it upfront AND will pay him £190k a week.

I'll wait here.

35 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Ric... unless the contracts were up... they let these prayer go to foreign teams .. and not their domestic rivals 

But what happens if the player doesn't want to go abroad or there aren't any foreign clubs that want him for the money that domestic clubs are willing to pay? You're also suggesting that selling Maguire and Chilwell weakens us and strengthens the opposition but I'd argue we are/will be better without both and with £140m in the bank to boot. 

14 minutes ago, shen said:

Tevez, Walker, Van Persie, Ashley Cole/Gallas, Diarra, Cech, Sterling, Clichy, Kolo Touré etc. all moved for fees domestically to rivals. Not sure what your point is as it's clearly not a rare occurrence that rival clubs in England try to poach the better players from one another.

we are competing hard with Man utd and Chelsea behind man city and liverpool. Last year we sold Maguire and replaced him with Cags - but utd's improved performance with maguire pushed us out ofthe CL.  That's my point... never strengthen your rivals - I don;'t care what others do... I want LCFC to finish above man utd and Chelsea.. Chillwell can go overseas but not to a rival.

2 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

If only it was that easy... Lazio aren't going to offer him 190k a week or pay us the money ask for. 

Easy to say sell him abroad, ever thought the player might not want to move to a new country? 

he is free to honour his contract that he signed.... and in return for signing it we gave him big wages... he is not offering to repay them is he?

12 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

He's our best in his position and will improve Chelseas team as well. I don't think that strengthens us. I think he is probably in my top 5 to be honest with Vardy, Ricardo, Evans and Ndidi in no particular order maybe Maddison is in that group as well.

Whenever we sell a player people on here always seem to suggest that they are awful which is just not true, 

Don't you remember the Kante and Mahrez sales?   I think that we judge sales individually.  Kante and Mahrez leaving was bad for us but inevitable.  Maguire and Chilwell's sales look like very good business.

15 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

the same happened with Maguire and it's happening now with Chilwell. Theres an argument that selling him for that much money is a good deal but it doesn't strengthen us on its own. As it stands (if Chilwell goes) we are going into next season with Fuchs and Thomas as our left back options which makes us weaker.

Do you really think that it is likely that we won't sign a replacement?

Maybe we should wait til the transfer window ends and see if we are stronger or weaker with the players that we sign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I agree with your first point, you can't fault the ambition of the club, but the manager disappointed me during the run in, continually downplaying our chances and basically saying that we should be happy to break into the top six when we were actually fighting for top four having spent almost the entire season there.

I think he was trying to cushion the fall for himself but I think that it sent a poor message to the players.  I wanted to hear him say that we are going for it. 

Oh I totally agree with you here. I was really disappointed. I think the context of the fact we’d been in top 4 all year and still managed to screw it up made his comments frustrating. They still hold a lot of truth though.

21 minutes ago, Bert said:

That’s not my point though is it. 

We set a precedent by selling Maguire for an astronomical fee. In my opinion Chilwell has more potential and is by far the better footballer. We could’ve got more money from Chelsea, it’s not like they’re short of money they’re going all out. Especially when they were considering him as their no.1 target. 

I think it's a fine balance between us needing funds ourselves and us not rating Chilwell as highly as we have done other players. I think we would have played hardball over Chilwell but circumstances have meant we need to know when to pull the trigger. I still think we are getting the better deal here, I'd be hugely concerned if I was a proper Chelsea fan and that was who was coming in to solve their left flank problem.

Pulisic is going to do his nut with Chilwell.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

But what happens if the player doesn't want to go abroad or there aren't any foreign clubs that want him for the money that domestic clubs are willing to pay? You're also suggesting that selling Maguire and Chilwell weakens us and strengthens the opposition but I'd argue we are/will be better without both and with £140m in the bank to boot. 

I agree we may be better off with out either... yet I just don't think we should strengthen our rivals.    Chellwell signed a contgract - If he doesn't want to honour it then he and we are in a difficult position - but let his agent find a home we are happy with,.  Not Utd or chelsea the two teams who pushed us out oft he CL.

I have always been very competitive in business and sport  and |I would never strengthen a rival

7 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Ok, go and find a club in a City Chilwell wants to move to, a team he wants to play in, a manager who wants him, club can afford the transfer fee AND will pay most of it upfront AND will pay him £190k a week.

I'll wait here.

that's a job for his agent

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

he is free to honour his contract that he signed.... and in return for signing it we gave him big wages... he is not offering to repay them is he?

So you wouldn't moan when that player eventually becomes useless for the club and then leaves on a free or for a much reduced fee a few years later? The money missed equals less to spend on strengthening and progressing the club which is the whole point. We cannot bring in quality year on year, reward our performing players with bigger contracts and only sell the crap we don't want on £180-200m a year and compete. If you think otherwise, enlighten us on an alternative....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, murphy said:

Don't you remember the Kante and Mahrez sales?   I think that we judge sales individually.  Kante and Mahrez leaving was bad for us but inevitable.  Maguire and Chilwell's sales look like very good business.

Do you really think that it is likely that we won't sign a replacement?

Maybe we should wait til the transfer window ends and see if we are stronger or weaker with the players that we sign.

It's more of a thing when people take things to an extreme. Maguire and Chilwell are being talked about like they are barely good enough to be professional when in fact whether we like it or not are both very good footballers.

In regards of the second point I was just replying to the suggestion that the sale of Chilwell makes us stonier and Chelsea weaker and was pointing out as it stands that isn't true. I'm not suggesting that we can't end up with a sufficient replacement just merely as it stands we haven't.