Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

I am appalled that we would sell chillwell to a rival.  Let's just give the traditional top 6 a 2 goal start in every game.   Having financial muscle is useless if we allow rivals to poach our players.   Chillwell and this agent could have found a club abroad.

Fox I don’t know your age or history but us LCFC are mixing it to a point with the bigger boys. We can only do our best but with all the will in the world we can only dine occasionally at the top table as a guest before normal service is resumed or another upstart breaks the mound temporarily. You only have to see the income of the top 6 to ours to understand the status quo is likely to return. 
Don’t be appalled be happy because the norm was following the club to Barnsley , Cambridge utd, Oxford etc. 
I would hate our younger fans to think we are billy big spuds and the rest of clubs our size to think we are total helmets ⛑ ( today’s word) 

3 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

I don't understand this "we'll never be top 6 if we keep selling our best players"

He isn't our best player, he's our most sellable asset. Same with Maguire last season, nobody regrets that sale. 

Rank our starting 11 from 1 to 11 and I don't think anybody would place Chilwell any higher than 6th on that list, and our least impressive of the first choice back 4.

I’m a bigger fan of Chilwell than most here.  But yours is an excellent point.

I do think this transfer will play out differently to the Maguire one, though.  I can see Ben prospering and continuing to improve at Chelsea, and meriting his price.

OTOH, It was obvious we were selling Harry at the peak of his value, and United have only compounded their folly by playing him in a back four that couldn’t be better designed to highlight his weaknesses.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You also wouldn't be the preferred choice for being in charge of trying to work to a budget that is the third of the biggest in the division. 

" Top, I could have got us £60m for Chilwell from Chelsea, but those bastards finished above us last season so I've managed to convince Roma to give us £30m as they won't trouble us. Oh by the way, Brendan wants Tagliafico for £25m and Kabak for £20m and we still haven't got a right winger in, but should be sound yeah? "

i understand the bind...  equally i could say "Top... we will  have to make do with £12mil from the Europa cup rather than to 100mil from the CL because I sold hhe England captain to Man Utd  they pushed us out."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

Fox I don’t know your age or history but us LCFC are mixing it to a point with the bigger boys. We can only do our best but with all the will in the world we can only dine occasionally at the top table as a guest before normal service is resumed or another upstart breaks the mound temporarily. You only have to see the income of the top 6 to ours to understand the status quo is likely to return. 
Don’t be appalled be happy because the norm was following the club to Barnsley , Cambridge utd, Oxford etc. 
I would hate our younger fans to think we are billy big spuds and the rest of clubs our size to think we are total helmets ⛑ ( today’s word) 

that's a good way of looking at it - yet if we don't change the way that we act  then we will fall back too quickly.  Where we are now is a dream for me. I never though I would be on here moaning about how we must use every trick to remain on terms with chelsea and manutd. :-)

17 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

i understand the bind...  equally i could say "Top... we will  have to make do with £12mil from the Europa cup rather than to 100mil from the CL because I sold hhe England captain to Man Utd  they pushed us out."

Let's ignore the fact that decision to sell Maguire to Man Utd had very little direct result in whether we finished 4th or 5th, the top 4 would not have been an expected target of ours last summer. The target was Europe and we worked to the parameters of a revenue stream of around the same as the year previous. 

Now, the biggest change to revenue other than commerciallt is getting in to Europe, specifically the Champions League. That is why Spurs managed to break in and keep hold of the majority of their players each year in the last 3-4 years. That extra £100m a season allowed them to keep trying to progress without doing what we do and sell occasionally to replenish regularly. 

I know Tielemans had a poor season by the previous seasons standards and that Perez was average but had we not sold Maguire we'd not have signed either of them unless we sold elsewhere or stretched ourselves and as I say at the start of last season, Europe was a target and not an expectation or a shoe in. 

57 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You also wouldn't be the preferred choice for being in charge of trying to work to a budget that is the third of the biggest in the division. 

" Top, I could have got us £60m for Chilwell from Chelsea, but those bastards finished above us last season so I've managed to convince Roma to give us £30m as they won't trouble us. Oh by the way, Brendan wants Tagliafico for £25m and Kabak for £20m and we still haven't got a right winger in, but should be sound yeah? "

And the reply to that would be:

"i'm sorry but Tagliafico has signed for Chelsea after they missed out on Chilwell, and with the money they saved they're looking at Kabak as an option at the back." 

22 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

WE NEED A SIGNING TO CALM US ALL DOWN.

You're just a transferholic. Get a hold of yourself.

We only needed mid table form from Christmas onwards and failed miserably.  Maguire playing for United did not influence that failure or cause it by his departure as the first half of the season proved.  We had it in our own hands and managed to throw it away.

• Like 1

I agree we may be better off with out either... yet I just don't think we should strengthen our rivals.    Chellwell signed a contgract - If he doesn't want to honour it then he and we are in a difficult position - but let his agent find a home we are happy with,.  Not Utd or chelsea the two teams who pushed us out oft he CL.

I have always been very competitive in business and sport  and |I would never strengthen a rival

To gauge whether we've strengthened them, it might be helpful to consider the potential for a Ricardo/Chilwell head to head. For me that's a no-hands desk lifter.

Edited by turtmcfly

10 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

To gauge whether we've strengthened them, it might be helpful to consider the potential for a Ricardo/Chilwell head to head. For me that's a no-hands desk lifter.

Absolutely,Ricardo will tear him a new one,he can't defend to save his life.

It also is worth noting that the impact the current pandemic has had on clubs finances will significantly alter the transfer market. Notice how only Chelsea are spending and we are yet to see the real impact of covid. We are selling for a price that may be the maximum we will get for him for a good few years as clubs get their finances in order. 

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Yeah I get what you’re saying. 

Fact is, whether we sold Chilwell or not there would be funds to buy players. We are going to miss him more than a lot of people can imagine, I think. 

Maybe. Time will tell if we get a good replacement. I actually thought Fuchs had very solid games despite not being nearly as mobile as Chilwell. Thomas looks promising too, but I can see why £50m looks enticing. We did afterall get Ricardo for half that and there's no doubt in my mind which of the two is the better fullback.

1 minute ago, norwichfox said:

I wish him a successful time at Chelsea, in fact almost as much success as Danny Drinkwater had there....

I can see Chilwell being quietly successful at Chelsea. His attitude has always been good and he's been pretty consistent over the past couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, manders86 said:

I'm a little surprised we haven't had a loan for Tomori thrown into this deal. He would be great for us.

No thanks, he's shocking. A lot of pace but he's far too erratic and positionally not great. 

11 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

If there's one thing Chilwell hasn't had since he's been a fixture in our starting lineup it's consistency. One game he looks the best left back in world football, the next he can't control the ball or pass it five yards. 

For what it's worth I think Chelsea are getting a good player but seems very much Maguire-esque in us getting the better deal (depending on how we spend the money)

Well I disagree with your black and white judgement of Chilwell. He has consistently improved over the last four seasons and he's only become more consistent during that time. Everyone's form dipped post lockdown, so using that as a yardstick is a bit unfair.

• Like 4