Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Nothing to do with ambition. It's the food chain. 

When we go help ourselves to Maddison from Norwich, Wilf from Genk etc I hear no such complaints

That's why we'll never be a top 4 team... and most likely it will be a very long time that we'll compete to be a top 6 team...

The 'Big 6' don't have to sell their best talent to evolve.. they add better player's around them.

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Nothing to do with ambition. It's the food chain. 

When we go help ourselves to Maddison from Norwich, Wilf from Genk etc I hear no such complaints

I get this but Chelsea finished 1 place above us this year - and in reality if Brendan and the majority of the players had a set of cojones we would have finished way clear of them. 

If we were to sell to City I'd accept that but it's just annoying that the perception is we're making other clubs around us better. 

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

That's why we'll never be a top 4 team... and most likely it will be a very long time that we'll compete to be a top 6 team...

The 'Big 6' don't have to sell their best talent to evolve.. they add better player's around them.

This, and not in a negative way, but in a realistic "this is what it takes" way.

Swear some people thought winning the title meant we had admission to the elite in the PL, but it takes way more.

• Like 3

Maybe so, but that won't stop us trying. We should never have won a league title or been home and hosed for a top 4 spot but bottle it a few years later but we did it. We are either very lucky or what we do just seems to let us punch above our weight and, either way we've been fortunate and long may we continue to upset the supposed big 6.

• Like 3

Time change, Man C fans probably would have said the same thing 10 years ago. 

Not always true, Chelsea lost Hazard last year to Real Madrid, Man City lost Sane to B.Munich this summer, it just the pool of teams big enough to take there players is smaller.  

3 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

I get this but Chelsea finished 1 place above us this year - and in reality if Brendan and the majority of the players had a set of cojones we would have finished way clear of them. 

If we were to sell to Man City I'd accept that but it's just annoying that the perception is we're making other clubs around us better. 

Man City have not got further in the UCL than City despite all the money they've spent. 

Most always forget.. even big teams lose good players. Doesn't matter how big you are, a player will always want change no matter how good it seems. Selling a player especially a LCFC academy player is huge commercially for LCFC. It will only make us more attractive for up and coming talent. For growth we need to sell him.. as hard it is to say.

Goodluck Ben. always a fox in my eyes.

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

If we were to sell to City I'd accept that but it's just annoying that the perception is we're making other clubs around us better. 

I don't think we are.

I think this is a good deal for Ben and a good deal for us.  Not so good for Chelsea.

I remember the outcry when Kante and Mahrez left.  People were crying all over these pages for months afterwards.  Now look at the comments on this thread.  it seems to be almost unanimous that we should sell and we are the people that watch him play week in week out and that is the best barometer of a deal that I can think of.

I think that we can replace him with a player just as good, if not better, particularly if we get Tagliafico or Telles and have money left over to further improve the team.  If you factor in potential long term injury problems, I am willing this deal to go through.  

I will wish him well at Chelsea but this is another good deal for us.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Most always forget.. even big teams lose good players. Doesn't matter how big you are, a player will always want change no matter how good it seems. Selling a player especially a LCFC academy player is huge commercially for LCFC. It will only make us more attractive for up and coming talent. For growth we need to sell him.. as hard it is to say.

Goodluck Ben. always a fox in my eyes.

Whilst that's a depressing thing to say, it's also an incredibly astute observation you've made. 

It now signals to young players that not only is there a pathway to top half PL football but you can also get a move to a massive club with your best years way ahead of you. Stick on the fact that England will pick you and it really does send out a good message and finally the real positive impact of out academy. 

Barnes next into the England set up and that really sets us up as being able to do a Dortmund/Leipzig model.

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Chelsea lost Eden Hazard to Real Madrid.

Liverpool lost Phillipe Coutinho to Barcelona.

Spurs lost Gareth Bale and Luka Modric to Real Madrid. They lost Kyle Walker to Man City.

Arsenal have lost countless players over the years to Man City.

The only clubs that don't really lose players are the two Manchester clubs and even then, Man U lost a world player of the year in Ronaldo to Real Madrid. Man City lost Leroy Sane to Bayern Munich, though that's because he didn't want to sign a new contract.

As Ric Flair says, it's a food chain, and we've moved up the chain considerably over the last 10 years!

Difference is that all those teams can replace those player's sold with massive, big name signings..look at Chelsea this season!

I do accept we're not financially capable of competing with the so called Big 6!... but thought it was our ambition to do so?...but all I see is us falling further and further behind in this attempt.

Just fear we'll be extremely Joe average this season and for seasons to come. But, suppose we need to know our place 😂

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You can't reason with some of our fans. They fail to compute the simple economics and yet at the same time demand new players to improve each season and that we keep rewarding our performing stars with long term contracts on big wages in order to protect ourselves whilst never ever selling a player unless we think they are crap and want them gone. All on a turnover of a 3rd of Man Utd whom in the last 5 years we have beaten them to a title (no title for them in 7 years), matched their best run in the CL for several years and inexplicably bottled beating them to the top 4 this season after having their kegs down on an £85m lorry.

People still need to be told that we still can’t financially compete with the likes of Chelsea for a reason. 

The top 6 have had European football for decades which has already given them superior income streams to the rest of English football clubs. Man Utd, Liverpool and arguably Arsenal have huge global fan bases which gives them yet more advantage, while Chelsea and Man City have profoundly wealthy owners who have been proven to break the rules to get where they are with very little resistance from the authorities. 

One thing that hasn’t been clear enough is how these rules actually hindered us after we won the league. We were the 5th highest earners that year. Even worse, because of STCC (Short Term Cost Control which prevented clubs from increasing their wage bill by more than 7% each year), meant that we still couldn’t compete with the bigger clubs; we couldn’t afford to offer Kante what Chelsea were offering him - nor Drinkwater, Mahrez or Maguire. 

STCC ended last summer but we still can’t compete financially. But we’re still in an incredible position. We have to improve a little bit each year instead of just buying the league like every other Premier League Champion has. 

Slowly slowly. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You can't reason with some of our fans. They fail to compute the simple economics and yet at the same time demand new players to improve each season and that we keep rewarding our performing stars with long term contracts on big wages in order to protect ourselves whilst never ever selling a player unless we think they are crap and want them gone. All on a turnover of a 3rd of Man Utd whom in the last 5 years we have beaten them to a title (no title for them in 7 years), matched their best run in the CL for several years and inexplicably bottled beating them to the top 4 this season after having their kegs down on an £85m lorry.

The ironic thing with this is that you know that the fans who are constantly moaning about our transfer activity (the years long winger problem aside) are probably the ones that think because we don't splash the cash we'll be back to the championship and that should be our ambition because we don't sign anyone and we should be grateful for being in the Prem. We all need to have a more balanced approach to the growth of the club long term.

It's important that we're mindful of the journey we've been on but I don't think any fan should ever be satisfied because we're an established Premier League club. We've got a chance to make ourselves more than that and dine at the very top table for a prolonged period of time. But to your point, the fact is, we'll have to be a little more patient and really get some luck with bringing in the right players given the financial constraints. Makes the fact we bottled the CL all the more damaging to those aspirations.

We're not going to be in this position forever so let's do our best to make sure it's a long and sustainable stay.

• Like 1

Honestly how can anyone even begin to suggest that we have a lack of ambition? If you don’t like the ambition or the improvements that have been made over the last 10 years, I don’t know what to tell you. We’ve shown more ambition and have succeeded on that ambition than every club in the country bar a couple. “Lack of ambition”, jeez. 

I know it annoyed us all but you can see why Brendan kept on reminding us all how we couldn’t compete with the big 6 financially at the end of the season. How do some fans not understand this? 

Edited by Gevans_97
Added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being realistic our actual rivals are wolves, Everton, West ham and the rest of the chasing pack. 

What we need to be careful of is any of them taking our place as best of the rest. 

I fear wolves and Everton might be stronger than us next season unless we massively turn around our form and Brendan can make us less predictable and easy to counteract.

3 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Whilst that's a depressing thing to say, it's also an incredibly astute observation you've made. 

It now signals to young players that not only is there a pathway to top half PL football but you can also get a move to a massive club with your best years way ahead of you. Stick on the fact that England will pick you and it really does send out a good message and finally the real positive impact of out academy. 

Barnes next into the England set up and that really sets us up as being able to do a Dortmund/Leipzig model.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm no where near as knowledgeable on those clubs models models such as RIc Flair but don't they bring youngsters through first to have a replacement. We didn't have any lined up when we sold Kante, Mahrez, weren't sure of a Maguire replacement and don't have one for Chilwell.

2 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

I don't understand this "we'll never be top 6 if we keep selling our best players"

He isn't our best player, he's our most sellable asset. Same with Maguire last season, nobody regrets that sale. 

Rank our starting 11 from 1 to 11 and I don't think anybody would place Chilwell any higher than 6th on that list, and our least impressive of the first choice back 4.

I'd put Vardy Ndidi Pereira top 3. Maddison, Tielemans, Soyuncu, Evans, Schmeichel in the middle somewhere. Chilwell, Barnes and Perez are the three weakest players imo. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Being realistic our actual rivals are wolves, Everton, West ham and the rest of the chasing pack. 

What we need to be careful of is any of them taking our place as best of the rest. 

I fear wolves and Everton might be stronger than us next season unless we massively turn around our form and Brendan can make us less predictable and easy to counteract.

Everton need to make at least 2 perfect big signings before they are good enough to challenge us.

1 hour ago, majaco said:

We don't need four players.

Without Chilwell, unless we move someone on , we already have a squad of 22.  That doesn't include players who were loaned out last season.  We probably need a replacement left-back.  Mendy signing means we have six midfielders who are not u21s.  We probably need a centre back.  We would benefit from a right sided forward.

We do. I do not agree with your sentiments, considering we have a fair few areas of concern in the squad. 

We need;

A new CB

A new LB

A new striker

A new right sided winger. 

This is to be able to cope with the demand of the league, cup competitions and Europe. Our depth is poor, And those out on loan need to be and will be moved on, regardless if we sign anyone. This is why we need to be better with negotiations, it's alright trying to hold out for the right price. But unfortunately as Maguire highlighted it was to our detriment, especially when we are scrambling around in the final weeks of the window trying to complete deals. Just like January, which was a farce in all honesty. I don't some people realise how bad this season could be if we aren't prepared, which I would argue at the moment we are not. We absolutely can't go into next season with just Vardy and Kalechi as the two main strikers, and Albrighton and Gray as out right sided attacking options. Failure to address these areas could result in a very, very dodgy situation next season, we certainly wont be competing for the top end of the table that is for sure. There is time left in the window, but I would have liked to at least have had a key player in by now settling in the squad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It would take something special to finish top 6 next season

How so?

Man City/Liverpool are streets ahead, sure. Chelsea look to be up there if all their signings gel (no guarantee) and Man Utd have a solid claim. But who else is going to push us out of the top 6? Wolves are pretty similar to us, although I've not heard any rumours of them strengthening yet. Tottenham without Erikson are good, but not spectacular and Arsenal seem to be stagnating. We've got competition for top 6, sure, but I don't think it'll 'take something special', I think we just need to play within our capability and we've got a good chance of it. If we can strengthen by bringing in a few of the rumoured players over the next couple of weeks then we're in a really good position to solidify top 6 next year.

12 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Difference is that all those teams can replace those player's sold with massive, big name signings..look at Chelsea this season!

I do accept we're not financially capable of competing with the so called Big 6!... but thought it was our ambition to do so?...but all I see is us falling further and further behind in this attempt.

Just fear we'll be extremely Joe average this season and for seasons to come. But, suppose we need to know our place 😂

" our ambition to do so " would essentially mean we have to match their commercial revenue which cannot be done overnight. I do feel we might never make in roads in to this, even our title win didn't seem to bring an influx of new sponsorships or new revenue streams, but it simply has to if we want to get at them that way.

A new training ground and a stadium expansion will help, but I think the way the club see it is - continue the model we have and look to be self sufficient and grow. If we do get in to the top 6 and follow it up then that brings more demand from companies globally and only then will we have the opportunities to grow the commercial side of things. Whether we could be negotiating better already I'm unsure on, we don't generate much by way of kit or other sponsors due to King Power using their name but they know what they're doing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I'm afraid we will, along with Newcastle (once Ashley goes) West Ham, Everton, possibly Southampton and possibly Wolves, have to pick off big six teams one by one each season. 

Occasionally they'll have a fallow year, injury crisis, fixture pile up, appalling manager, bad luck... whatever. And then there's us and the other listed teams looking to nip into 5th or 6th as a result. 

• Like 1