Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Who do you want Summer 2020

10 hours ago, grumpy old git said:

Maybe we should be looking for someone to push Vardy during the next couple of seasons, I haven't any idea who would fit that bill but that why I feel we should be looking now! It’s going to be a mammoth task to find someone to score 15 -20 goals a season. I know this may not be a popular statement but IMO nacho still does not seem good enough to me although has improved a little this season.

3 goals and 4 assists in 579 minutes this season, works out to 1 goal contribution every 82 minutes. Vardy, for perspective, has 19 goals and 6 assists in 2222 minutes, which works out at roughly 1 goal contribution every 88 minutes. 

Of course, I'm not trying at all to insinuate that Iheanacho is better than Vardy, because he isn't, but that is a very respectable goal involvement considering his sporadic Gametime and limited oppurtunities. Not to mention his skillset is different from Vardy's in a positive way; better holdup and linkup play, namely. This means that he's a great alternative or foil to play alongside him. I think if we gave him time he absolutely could become someone to score 15-20 goals in a season. 

I think whilst Vardy is still firing at this rate, it doesn't really make sense to get him another understudy. Sure, once he's close to done and dusted and is already more of a substitute player, get someone to compete with Iheanacho, but if we get someone else in now we stand to lose both them and Iheanacho in a couple years when neither is satisfied with gametime and Vardy still is going.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Osimhen looks like the nearest thing to Vardy coming up.

I have a hunch that if Luka Jovic flops at Real Madrid because he can't establish himself beyond Benzema we could go for him. He isn't like Vardy in that his pace isn't fantastic, but his positioning is brilliant and he is a good finisher, as well as having great linkup and holdup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

He’s talented, but only 5’10” - quite short for a centre back. Would be interesting to see how he’d adapt to the Premier League. 

Ideal in a 3-4-1-2 as the left sided CB with James Justin doing bits at LWB

13 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

If Barnes keeps adding goals to his game and we get a right sided winger that can get 10+ goals a season in the league then there’s no reason why Iheanacho can’t be our number 9 at all. He won’t be a threat himself every game as he doesn’t run the channels that effectively (unlike Vardy) but with his link up play he can easily play as a false 9 and lay them on for others when he’s out of it. 

Very right. I also believe that Vardy's weakness of bringing others into the game is part of the reason why we have struggled so much with wingers since Mahrez left. Not all of it by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe it plays a role. It's tough for a winger to get in the game when they can't rely on the striker seeing a lot of the ball and taking some of the defenders' attention.

38 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

I can’t ever recall having less interest in a transfer window. 😷

Let me put it this way - this window will determine whether we can keep up in the top of the league next season or fall back to the wayside where Everton is. Any more exciting?

12 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Very right. I also believe that Vardy's weakness of bringing others into the game is part of the reason why we have struggled so much with wingers since Mahrez left. Not all of it by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe it plays a role. It's tough for a winger to get in the game when they can't rely on the striker seeing a lot of the ball and taking some of the defenders' attention.

...the players picking up Vardy are not the defenders who the wingers will be encountering!!!

Vardys' movement is very effective his running off the ball pulls players out of position opening space for team mates. The problem is a lack of quality wingers not Vardys' supposed shortcomings.

13 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I think you are right to a degree but that's because we base our style of play around Vardy so the wingers have to work around him as opposed to the other way around. It really comes down to the calibre of winger that we have. Mahrez new how to work the space that Vardy created, no one we have has been able to do that for a variety of reasons. Barnes is young and inexperienced, Perez isn't a winger, Gray is garbage and lacks any footballing intelligence and it's just not in Albrighton game to get into spaces behind the midfield. 

• Like 1

On 13/05/2020 at 11:15, pmcla26 said:

If Barnes keeps adding goals to his game and we get a right sided winger that can get 10+ goals a season in the league then there’s no reason why Iheanacho can’t be our number 9 at all. He won’t be a threat himself every game as he doesn’t run the channels that effectively (unlike Vardy) but with his link up play he can easily play as a false 9 and lay them on for others when he’s out of it. 

I think Barnes and Iheanacho are massively underrated and improving both had great seasons and I'm more excited by what they could do next rather than someone who looks good on YouTube.

• Like 1

Looking forward to watching the Bundesliga this weekend to see the players that we have been linked with previously in more detail. Kostic, plea, N'dicka all in the Frankfurt vs monchengladbach game at 5.30 could be the pick of the bunch. Anyone else watching any particular game for similar reasons? Or am I just completely sad? lollol 

6 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Looking forward to watching the Bundesliga this weekend to see the players that we have been linked with previously in more detail. Kostic, plea, N'dicka all in the Frankfurt vs monchengladbach game at 5.30 could be the pick of the bunch. Anyone else watching any particular game for similar reasons? Or am I just completely sad? lollol 

I'll be doing the same.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Let me put it this way - this window will determine whether we can keep up in the top of the league next season or fall back to the wayside where Everton is. Any more exciting?

Highly doubt we or many other teams will be spending big. It will be a very quiet window under the circumstances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Highly doubt we or many other teams will be spending big. It will be a very quiet window under the circumstances. 

That wasn't really my point though. Man Utd, Spurs and Arsenal have started to get their stuff together. Each team will probably address at least one or two of their shortcomings in the market - for example, Spurs will perhaps purchase a cheap but solid defensive midfielder like West Ham bought Soucek. Even if their signings are extremely minimal to the point that their squads are barely altered (which I doubt) these teams (especially Spurs and Man Utd) next season will not have the same injury problems that we exploited to finish so far ahead of them. 

Therefore this market is actually very important; if we don't act astutely with some shrewd signings, we may drop back to where we were previously. So whilst it probably won't see a lot of exciting action from anyone, it will still carry big repercussions for us, if that makes any sense

9 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

If our spending were truly curtailed by a significant margin, I think it wouldn't be amiss to take a punt on Benrahma. Has shown some very impressive things in the Championship and would be cheap. Rather take a chance on someone new than continue with Gray.

There will still be plenty of leagues that the PL will exploit even if money is seriously curtailed. Clubs like us are much more likely to take a punt on lower league players than the more established big six and then there's France and Holland that have cancelled their leagues and will be hit with quite significant financial penalties. Scotland will be the pits as well.

• Like 2